Pregnancy Menu

Sapphire723

Thank you very much! I was beginning to think I was a weirdo for trying to follow such a list.

As someone who has worked in a NICU for many, many years I have seen the other side of things. Luckily most complications that result from eating/drinking things on the list are rare, but once you have seen even one baby succumb to listeria (such as from a mom unknowingly eating unpasteurized cheese at a fancy party), you realize that it is worth it to avoid certain things while pregnant.

The chances of you having a healthy baby are extremely high, but I applaud your determination to watch what you eat. I agree with some others here who said to have a consolidated list to give/read to the waiters (just as others list their allergies).

Congratulations and enjoy your cruise!

First of all - congrats to the OP. As someone who is still trying to conceive, I can understand why you want to follow every guideline going as this baby is so precious.

As a Brit, I'm always amazed at the amount of doctor appointments that US people seem to have and see. We have midwives here and would only see a consultant if there was a problem throughout our pregnancy. Fascinating to read the different advice.

I have a friend who has two children, 18 years apart. She found the pregnancy of her second baby harder as there was so much more 'advice' and guidelines. She also had access to the internet which was another worry!

I would try not to worry too much (which is very easy for me to say!) but as long as you avoid the obvious things, then you will be fine. So many ladies get to 12 weeks without even realising they're pregnant and will have eaten / drunk food that's not recommended.

Out of interest, are eggs on your list? We're told not to eat soft boiled eggs so a lot of people avoid any type of physical egg (it's OK if it's been cooked in a cake etc) Soft cheese (brie, camembert) is also a no-no but guess that comes under unpasteurized cheese.

Edited by Cooso

As someone who has worked in a NICU for many, many years I have seen the other side of things. Luckily most complications that result from eating/drinking things on the list are rare, but once you have seen even one baby succumb to listeria (such as from a mom unknowingly eating unpasteurized cheese at a fancy party), you realize that it is worth it to avoid certain things while pregnant.

The chances of you having a healthy baby are extremely high, but I applaud your determination to watch what you eat. I agree with some others here who said to have a consolidated list to give/read to the waiters (just as others list their allergies).

Congratulations and enjoy your cruise!

Oh man, I am sorry to hear about that baby. That must have been heartbreaking.

Thanks for the suggestion of treating it like an allergy. I've never had any sort of food allergy or restriction before, so while I know cruises are pretty good about helping with stuff like that, I had no idea what the protocol was!

I'm fairly certain everything will turn out ok. I figured I'd do my best to follow my doctor's recommendations and not stress about the rest.

Thank you very much to you and to the other supportive/helpful responses I've received.

First of all - congrats to the OP. As someone who is still trying to conceive, I can understand why you want to follow every guideline going as this baby is so precious.

As a Brit, I'm always amazed at the amount of doctor appointments that US people seem to have and see. We have midwives here and would only see a consultant if there was a problem throughout our pregnancy. Fascinating to read the different advice.

I have a friend who has two children, 18 years apart. She found the pregnancy of her second baby harder as there was so much more 'advice' and guidelines. She also had access to the internet which was another worry!

I would try not to worry too much (which is very easy for me to say!) but as long as you avoid the obvious things, then you will be fine. So many ladies get to 12 weeks without even realising they're pregnant and will have eaten / drunk food that's not recommended.

Out of interest, are eggs on your list? We're told not to eat soft boiled eggs so a lot of people avoid any type of physical egg (it's OK if it's been cooked in a cake etc) Soft cheese (brie, camembert) is also a no-no but guess that comes under unpasteurized cheese.

Hi Lara,

Best of luck with making that baby! Friends of ours suggested we try to make the baby on a cruise ship, so even if we didn't conceive, at least we had a fun cruise!

Haha, I tried to get a midwife, but apparently there aren't many in my area. I never realized how many appointments I would have until my doctor told me the schedule. I feel like I'm going to spend half the pregnancy in a waiting room. :p Perhaps American doctors go a little overboard?

Wow... 18 years apart. It's interesting to see how recommendations change over time, even a seemingly smallish amount of time. I've tried to only listen to things on the internet that my doctor confirms are legit. Everything else, I've tried to filter out (along with the negativity).

I was told to avoid raw/undercooked eggs, but fully cooked eggs were just fine. Also, soft cheeses are completely fine as long as they're pasteurized or fully cooked.... which is good because baked brie is super yummy and a friend made me some for New Year's!

Thanks for your post, and I'll send a little baby dust your way.:o

LeAnne

Hi Sapphire, congratulations on your first pregnancy! I do have to say that with my first baby, I was VERY careful about everything and focused on every small detail. By the second child, a lot of that went out the window, and both turned out perfectly fine. However, I commend you for being cautious. We have sailed in AQ twice, and I don't think you'll have a problem in Blu. The advice above which condensed your list was a good one --- no raw proteins, no processed meats, only pasteurized dairy and no raw meat. The menu in Blu has an always available section which includes salmon, steak and chicken--- should be no problem there. Some of the fish varieties are foreign to us here in the northeastern US, so stay away if you are not sure. Ask for your meat to be medium well or even well done. And read the menu carefully, as mentioned above it is hard to sneak in raw fish or sausage! As I think back on the Blu menu, some of my favorite items were straightforward and should be ok ---- filet mignon, rack of lamb, lobster tail, crab risotto. lobster salad appetizer, short ribs. Plus, there is more personal attention in Blu and the meals are individually prepared as opposed to mass produced. Just follow your basic guidelines, relax, and have a great cruise.

Hi Sapphire, congratulations on your first pregnancy! I do have to say that with my first baby, I was VERY careful about everything and focused on every small detail. By the second child, a lot of that went out the window, and both turned out perfectly fine. However, I commend you for being cautious. We have sailed in AQ twice, and I don't think you'll have a problem in Blu. The advice above which condensed your list was a good one --- no raw proteins, no processed meats, only pasteurized dairy and no raw meat. The menu in Blu has an always available section which includes salmon, steak and chicken--- should be no problem there. Some of the fish varieties are foreign to us here in the northeastern US, so stay away if you are not sure. Ask for your meat to be medium well or even well done. And read the menu carefully, as mentioned above it is hard to sneak in raw fish or sausage! As I think back on the Blu menu, some of my favorite items were straightforward and should be ok ---- filet mignon, rack of lamb, lobster tail, crab risotto. lobster salad appetizer, short ribs. Plus, there is more personal attention in Blu and the meals are individually prepared as opposed to mass produced. Just follow your basic guidelines, relax, and have a great cruise.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

This is only my second Celebrity cruise and it's my first time in Blu. I wasn't sure what the menus would look like, so I wasn't sure what the standard dishes would be and that sort of thing. I appreciate your helpful response.

Probably best for you and the other diners, is for you to get the menus a day before and talk with dining services and get all your questions answered. And, if you really want something on the menu that contains things you don't want to eat, maybe they will adjust it for you. I think by taking care of this prior to dinner, would be the most polite thing to do for the others at your table (unless you are just at a table for 2), so they wouldn't have to wait while you ask your questions and the server would probably have to go to the kitchen and check.

Great recommendation! I think that we may be at just a table for two in Blu (not quite sure... first time AQers!:D). My goal was to be considerate of those around me when ordering, so getting the menu ahead of time would be an awesome way to come prepared to each meal. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

For those of us who are over 50, do any of you remember anyone in your class with food allergies? Nowadays, all you hear about are hundreds of thousands of kids with peanut, and other food allergies. Recent studies have pointed to the fact that these allergies can be attributed to moms being so strict with their pregnancy diets. What a mother ingests can impart certain immunities to their fetus, and therefore can avoid so many of these allergies.

I also tend to think that the OP, who has admitted to being ADD, might be stressing on all this because she's off her medications (which she also admitted). I agree with others that stress during pregnancy can be more dangerous than eating bacon or munching on a few peanuts.

I'm over 50, by quite a bit and I was allergic to dairy products, but I was the only one that I ever knew of in my school years that had an allergy. It is kind of like with gluten....did you know that according to reports, only 1 percent or less of the population is gluten intolerant, but it seems like 50 percent of the population is gluten intolerant, when you listen to everyone who can't eat it. Edited by NLH Arizona

I'm over 50, by quite a bit and I was allergic to dairy products, but I was the only one that I ever knew of in my school years that had an allergy. It is kind of like with gluten....did you know that according to reports, only 1 percent or less of the population is gluten intolerant, but it seems like 50 percent of the population is gluten intolerant, when you listen to everyone who can't eat it.

Thanks for that statistic. The population of the USA is diet crazy and not any healthier than they were before this gluten and other crazy diets. Interestingly we are now not living any longer than a few years ago. Don't drink the water and don't breathe the air!:eek:

I'm over 50, by quite a bit and I was allergic to dairy products, but I was the only one that I ever knew of in my school years that had an allergy. It is kind of like with gluten....did you know that according to reports, only 1 percent or less of the population is gluten intolerant, but it seems like 50 percent of the population is gluten intolerant, when you listen to everyone who can't eat it.

While there are severe gluten allergies (celiac's disease, which one of my friends does have), most of the "gluten sensitivities" might be associated more with the foods being avoided than the actual gluten itself. Typically when my non-celiac friends avoid foods with gluten, they end up replacing it with other foods with higher nutritional value. In turn, they feel much better and healthier even if gluten wasn't the sole culprit.

I'm always amazed at how often someone asking a question similar to the OP is lectured on how the basis of their medical decision is invalid or otherwise questioning their whole decision. I don't think such responses are helpful at all. The OP is following a medical plan she believes in and that is her business. She asked a question about the availability of a specialized menu for her, or training of the waiters in this area, and the simple answer is that she won't find it. Some, but not all, the waiters are trained in allergy diets and menu items, gluten related menus, and similar diet restrictions but I doubt any would be trained in the OP's particular diet. None the less it shouldn't be too hard to self monitor this even though it will require a little extra due diligence on her part.

With that in mind, and after reading some of the above, I have a couple comments:

The most knowledgeable people on board about food contents are the managers in the various dining areas including the main manager (Maitre'd) and their assistants who might be called assistant managers, assistant Maitre d', or head waiters. Don't trust the answers from the lower level assistant waiters or the servers in the buffet as I've noticed their answers and actions are not always correct. Since your diet is not one they'd typically be knowledgeable of you might consider bringing a supply of small pre-printed lists such as what you've posted above. Put these on small pieces of paper or cards so you can hand it to them if you're asking questions.

The only place I'd be worried about unpasteurized dairy would be from the selection of gourmet cheeses served in Muranos or the equivalent specialty restaurants on the M class ships. You might want to ask one of the managers about this before you partake of these.

I'm guessing that the eggs used to make scrambled eggs and omelets are from pasteurized egg product. I'd ask the manager of the dining area you're at if this interests you. In the buffet you'll see these managers walking around wearing a tie. The level of the chefs is signified by the color of their neckerchief (although I can't recall the hierarchy) and their position will be indicated on their name tag.

Edited by Lsimon

While there are severe gluten allergies (celiac's disease, which one of my friends does have), most of the "gluten sensitivities" might be associated more with the foods being avoided than the actual gluten itself. Typically when my non-celiac friends avoid foods with gluten, they end up replacing it with other foods with higher nutritional value. In turn, they feel much better and healthier even if gluten wasn't the sole culprit.
I agree, it is much more healthy to not eat a lot of gluten. I've reduced the amount I eat, but it seems like everyone you speak to is gluten intolerant, instead of just saying they are trying to eat more healthy. One of my neighbors watched some TV program where someone said they were gluten intolerant and then all of a sudden she the next day she couldn't eat gluten....she is 81 and has been eating it her whole life.....LOL. Edited by NLH Arizona

I agree, it is much more healthy to not eat a lot of gluten. I've reduced the amount I eat, but it seems like everyone you speak to is gluten intolerant, instead of just saying they are trying to eat more healthy. One of my neighbors watched some TV program where someone said they were gluten intolerant and then all of a sudden she the next day she couldn't eat gluten....she is 81 and has been eating it her whole life.....LOL.

Meh... fads. What can ya do? LOL! I try to avoid the fads and just focus on what ingredients are going into my food and what nutritional value those ingredients bring to me. And then occasionally I have some cheesecake for fun. :D

I'm always amazed at how often someone asking a question similar to the OP is lectured on how the basis of their medical decision is invalid. The OP is following a medical plan she believes in and that is her business. She asked a question about the availability of a specialized menu for her, or training of the waiters in this area, and the simple answer is that she won't find it. Some, but not all, the waiters are trained in allergy diets and menu items, gluten related menus, and similar diet restrictions but I doubt any would be trained in the OP's particular diet. None the less it shouldn't be too hard to self monitor this even though it will require a little extra due diligence on her part.

With that in mind, and after reading some of the above, I have a couple comments:

The most knowledgeable people on board about food contents are the managers in the various dining areas including the main manager (Maitre'd) and their assistants who might be called assistant managers, assistant Maitre d', or head waiters. Don't trust the answers from the lower level assistant waiters or the servers in the buffet as I've noticed their answers and actions are not always correct. Since your diet is not one they'd typically be knowledgeable of you might consider bringing a supply of small pre-printed lists such as what you've posted above. Put these on small pieces of paper or cards so you can hand it to them if you're asking questions.

The only place I'd be worried about unpasteurized dairy would be from the selection of gourmet cheeses served in Muranos or the equivalent specialty restaurants on the M class ships. You might want to ask one of the managers about this before you partake of these.

I'm guessing that the eggs used to make scrambled eggs and omelets are from pasteurized egg product. I'd ask the manager of the dining area you're at if this interests you. In the buffet you'll see these managers walking around wearing a tie, or in the case of a chef they'll have a fancy neckerchief if they are managers (their position will be indicated on their name tag).

Thank you, Larry! All great points.

I personally have some food allergies and am required to choose from the menu the evening before. This way food can be prepared for me if needed. You will need to do this . Thye will not change a dish the day of . Not sure about Blu but I think it is the same

All I can say is I am sure glad that the last time I was pregnant was 23 years ago when you could eat whatever you wanted. Personally all food I ate while pregnant had no flavor, so I didn't eat much. Best I can describe it is that all food tasted like cardboard.

What ports of call are you going to ? I would be much more concerned about what I ate off the ship than on the ship. I would also drink bottled water. All the very best to you and your baby.

Good point! Barbados, St Thomas, Antigua, St Maarten, St Lucia are where we're visiting, but we typically don't eat on shore. We're usually late risers, so we'll grab lunch on board and then head on shore for the afternoon. However, I will make sure to plan accordingly and bring some bottled water.

Thanks for the well wishings.

I am frankly amazed and disappointed by the number of people who have responded to the OP with dismissive and judgmental attitudes.

I think we all know that the American medical climate is more careful and restrictive than many other countries and even than prior generations, but so what? Medical advice has changed over the years - it is what it is! Why are so many of you so quick to dismiss years of advancement in medical research - some of which may be going a bit too far but a lot of which could be very good advice? I'm not pregnant but I know a lot of women who are or were recently, and they all got lists like this. I'm surprised at those of you who are trying to convince her to ignore her doctor's advice - for what? Anecdotal evidence does not give you a medical degree. What may have "worked" for you may also have caused medical issues or failed pregnancies for other women that you didn't hear about.

It's probably a lot less stressful to follow your doctor's advice (particular as it may seem) than to (1) worry that you're not doing the right thing for your child or (2) get judged by your doctor and other women who have been given the same advice. Your negative comments are probably way more stressful than adhering to any dietary restrictions. Being careful is not the same thing as being overly stressed. From what I have read, the OP was only the former when she started this discussion.

To those that implied that having these dietary restrictions is a nuisance to fellow diners, I find that hard to believe. Even if it's true, those fellow diners are a lot more nit-picky than the doctor and would probably find other reasons not to enjoy their dinner.

This is sort of like people who worry excessively about getting on an airplane, but don't think twice about traveling in a car five times a day, when in reality, the chances of having a car accident are far greater.

As a pregnant person, I would worry less about the food I ate, and more about becoming ill on the cruise (for any reason). Even a simple case of noro (which goes around like crazy during the winter and is no big deal for most people, other than feeling horrendous) can be very serious for a pregnant woman. The cruise ship doctor probably isn't an ob/gyn, and you're really far from the wonderful medical care available in the US.

I think getting sick (in general) is a more likely scenario for a pregnant woman, and that's what I'd be worried about. I'd make sure I had excellent trip insurance that covers all medical just in case!

Hope you have a wonderful trip and healthy baby.

Edited by micmacmissy
typo

Wow, have there been some really mean-spirited responses to your posts!

First, congratulations on your pregnancy! Any first time mom-to-be who would rather err on the side of extra caution rather than less has her heart in the right place as far as I am concerned.

I think you will be just fine eating on the ship. I think you will find that in most cases, it will be very clear whether your items to avoid are or are not a part of a particular dish. Where you have concerns, you can just ask. You will find many options for each meal which will be obvious and will not require you to get more info. For example, if you are concerned about nitrates, there are a lot of breakfast options that do not include bacon.

If I could add one non-medical (but experienced mom) opinion - the vast majority of foods you mentioned (with a few exceptions) may be foods you want to avoid eating regularly, but if you happen to eat them by mistake once or twice there will be no lasting damage or impact (I am sure your doctor would confirm this). Others - such as sushi - should be avoided 100% but they are truly in the minority.

One last suggestion - if you have several items in general you are curious about (such as nitrates in the bacon, use of unpasteurized dairy etc) you might ask to have a few minutes to talk to the chef at the beginning of the cruise. You may find out some info that will put your mind at ease going forward and allow you to enjoy more foods without needing to question your waiter regularly.

Best of luck with your baby-to-be.

I am also disappointed by the nasty responses to the OP.

Dietary restrictions for pregnant women are not new. Every single person that I know who has been pregnant within the past 10-15 years had dietary restrictions in place during the pregnancy (all at the advice of their doctor).

To the OP - Congrats on your pregnancy! As others pointed out, the staff won't be able to recommend what dishes meet the pregnancy guidelines (mainly because not all countries have the same guidelines). However, you shouldn't have any problems with the menus. I know of several people that cruised while pregnant and had no problems. If bacon or sausage is in a dish this will be listed in the description. Likewise, if a dish contains meat or shellfish that is raw this will also be part of the description (or it will be obvious, i.e. beef carpaccio).

The menus for Celebrity's dining rooms (including Blu) don't change often. My advice would be to look online or do a search here to locate them. That way you can get an idea now of what dishes will be offered when you sail.

Enjoy your cruise!

I am not seeking medical advice through a menu. Plenty of farm-to-table restaurants let you know when their bacon is nitrate free. There are plenty of menus in American restaurants that have asterisks and label which dishes may contain raw meat/raw eggs, etc. Some of these are obvious like if you ask for your steak rare, you will receive a steak that hasn't been fully cooked. Some are less obvious. Carbonara sauce often contains raw egg. I didn't know that until I got food poisoning once. All I was looking for was some information so I could make a decision.

I am just off the Reflection and some menus did have exactly the warnings that you are suggesting. I recall seeing the standard wording "caution consuming raw eggs, meat or fish may cause...." several times. I think one was on the caesar salad in Tuscano. Don't hesitate to ask. At the beginning of most meals we would have a waiter ask about food allergies. This is a perfect time to say that you are avoiding raw eggs, etc. As others have said, most ingredients will be clear, but you are correct that there are times something might not be an obvious ingredient. It is probably just a few items that you need to mention, as most would not be "hidden". Not going to find shell fish in a dish without it being mentioned. Also, on day one you can ask to speak with a chef at the buffet for breakfast. Ask any questions about the nitrates, etc so you will know up front.

While I have never heard of some of the restrictions you posted, you should eat what you feel comfortable eating during your pregnancy, based on your doctors suggestions.

I agree with others that you should NOT rely on waiters and food handlers, and instead rely on your own knowledge, and select foods that don't have any of the risk factors.

If you are unsure of an ingredient - ask.

If you don't get a satisfactory response, then just avoid that food.

You will have PLENTY of choices without having to eat anything you do not wish to eat.

Hope you have an easy and wonderful pregnancy, and congratulations!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1981789

OP, check out this thread. Post #5 has a link that shows the Blu menus, you may not see exactly the same but pretty close. It will give you an idea what to expect . And, couples are almost always seated at their own table (although some of them are very close to the diners next to you!.) Blu typically does not ask diners if they want to share and form a larger table.