What has happened to the cruise industry

crisio2030

I wonder if the satisfaction factor varies for those who cruise more for the ship board experience vs those who cruise mostly for the ports? In recent years, many of our cruises were repeats to ports we visited many times through the years. We cruised more for the ship board life than the ports. Did we expect more from the cruise line the more time we spent on the ship vs ashore?

Operating costs go up, prices don't. We've been cruising for over 40 years now and found a cruise line ticket from long ago. A couple of years ago we took a cruise and paid within $30 what we paid for the same length cruise, same cabin category, same basic itinerary 30 years prior. What else have prices not risen over 30 years? Obviously, they can't give what they gave for the same price. Yes.... we've seen a lot of changes and cutbacks over the years, but it's still our favorite way to vacation.

What is interesting about this statement is you put no focus on how much MORE we get on the ships. In the not so distant past, very few cabins had a verandah, there were no TV's in cabins, no internet availability, no specialty restaurants and for those who look for it, ice skating rinks, mini golf, rock climbing walls etc

The ships are so much more luxurious, so many bars, dining areas, pools, night clubs...... In some ways we are getting far more. :)

This is a great point! And, from my perspective, I can't take my kids on a comparable (in MY terms) land-based vacation and pay less than we pay for a cruise. Throw in my ability to actually relax, and I am hooked :D