Gluten Free on HAL, Zuiderdam

GKJJfamcruisers

My family loves to travel, but we have dietary restrictions, gluten free and dairy free. These are medical conditions, not life choices, so we must be very cautious. We found cruising to be the best option - with 2 teenage boys with hollow legs- and have done so many times on another line.

We would like to visit the Mediterranean this summer on the Zuiderdam, but found the reviews on the gluten free food a bit sketchy. There were a lot of warnings about being able to eat GF on HAL, but most of them were back in 2011 and I haven't found really anything more current, so it leaves me with the question, Have things gotten better?

Does anyone have any current experience with eating GF on HAL and even better on the Zuiderdam?

My family loves to travel, but we have dietary restrictions, gluten free and dairy free. These are medical conditions, not life choices, so we must be very cautious. We found cruising to be the best option - with 2 teenage boys with hollow legs- and have done so many times on another line.

We would like to visit the Mediterranean this summer on the Zuiderdam, but found the reviews on the gluten free food a bit sketchy. There were a lot of warnings about being able to eat GF on HAL, but most of them were back in 2011 and I haven't found really anything more current, so it leaves me with the question, Have things gotten better?

Does anyone have any current experience with eating GF on HAL and even better on the Zuiderdam?[/quote

Sailed on the Zuiderdam -- wonderfully attentive to dietary needs. Everynight the Dining Rm Mgr or Asst. would come by with the next night's menu for my daughter to choose and they would prepare gluten free.

When you book, call Ship Services(1-800-541-1576) to discuss your dietary issues and they will send you a questionaire to fill out so appropriate special needs can be met. This is the part most people miss and then are disappointed some specialty items weren't on board.

Hope this helps.

While on the Maasdam last October, one of our table mates had to have gluten-free items. She had notified ship services in advance of the cruise, and once on board the ship, she received a menu for the following night's dinner. She did not dine with us the first night, though, so I don't know how she managed that night. But, every night thereafter, our table steward would show her the menu for the next night and she would make her selection then for the next night. So, it seems that HAL has a system in place for guests who require gluten-free items. Have a great cruise!

Thanks, that does help. Was your daughter able to eat from the buffet also? The boys eat a crazy amount of food and after a long day of sight seeing have been known to hit the buffet both before and after dinner!

Yes,she ate at the buffet -- and if you ask they do have gluten free bread for sandwiches and toast

Our granddaughter needed GF/DF along with a bunch of other restrictions: eggs, soy, legumes, only poultry (no meat or fish), no tree nuts; lethal to peanuts and peanut derivatives! She did fine but figured most of it out for herself. We managed a couple of room service breakfasts which she absolutely loved. I think HAL does a very good job with personal attention.

She knew to request "no stuffing", "no sauce", "no gravy" when she made her dinner selections for the next night (just wrote it in the margin). The dinner menu selections had to be handed in at lunch the next day at the latest.

At the Lido Buffet we talked with the Lido Chef and he pointed us in the right direction. She had a fabulous time but stuck to the basics, especially for desserts when her choices were often sorbet or fresh fruit. We had to ask to see the sorbet ingredients label to make sure it was egg white free and they were very good to bring the container out to our table so we could check. They really don't want people getting sick or worse so they cooperated fully and cheerfully.

We did bring a few things on board with us: her favorite safe salad dressing, her squeeze margarine to put on baked potatoes and a few GF/DF snacks for shore excursions. She took a small tote into the MDR with her extras, very easy. We requested a refrigerator for the room ($2 per day... go to the front desk upon embarkation and be sure they have it arranged, and then you pay the fee there - after you pay the fee the room steward will set it up). Bring a triple-tap outlet expander because the frig will plug into the only outlet in the room, either under the desk or on the desk.

The Lido has many choices for milk alternatives: Almond, coconut, soy, rice, lactose free but you'll probably have to ask for what you want, not all of them are out.

Happy planning! m--

Yes,she ate at the buffet -- and if you ask they do have gluten free bread for sandwiches and toast

But be careful about GF bread... some of them have dairy in them. We brought a small loaf on board so no worries.

They'll offer GF pasta too! m--