Scooters from CaptainVans

picktowncruzr

Anyone ever done this before? Is it safe to 'scoot' around the island on your own? When you rent the scooter they give you a map that will get you to all the 'cool' places on the island. Seems like a fun thing to do but the ship always says - DON'T RENT SCOOTERS! Maybe I'm feeling a bit like a rebel since I'm turning 40 this trip! :D

Anyone ever done this before?

Yes! (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=213891)

Is it safe to 'scoot' around the island on your own?

Absolutely. Well, it's as safe as scooting anywhere else.

When you rent the scooter they give you a map that will get you to all the 'cool' places on the island.

Yes! Actually, they give you a map and another sheet that describes some of the points of interest. Plus they give you a short talk to help you get started, and they let you know how far you can reasonably go and still have a reasonable expectation of returning at the proper time.

The map is actually a little rough, since the highlights are hand written, and it's been photocopied over and over.

Seems like a fun thing to do but the ship always says - DON'T RENT SCOOTERS! Maybe I'm feeling a bit like a rebel since I'm turning 40 this trip! :D

Since when do we listen to what those ship people (and their accountants and lawyers) tell us to do? ;)

FWIW, I did this for my brief time on Roatan, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, I am NOT allowed to sell my wares on this forum. Anyone looking for information on Captain Van's Rentals, can find me on the internet. However, I am not allowed to spell out my website's address either.

Our record speaks for itself. Our quality and service is top notch. We ensure our customer sees and does all they desire while visiting Roatan...

Once you get hold of me (see below for really strong clue!), I will be more willing to answer any and all questions.

Thanks

:)

Kristin, contrary to what you might hear from the cruiselines, ALL beaches in Honduras (and therefore Roatan) are free to the public.

However, if you want to use a chaise lounger, or two...you will have to pay a rental fee ($5?) to the beach resort that owns them.

Otherwise...bring a beach towel....

And yes, I got your email...:D

• 5 weeks later...

I just got back from our western carribean cruise that stopped in Roatan.

All I can say about Murray and Captain Van's scooters is TOP NOTCH.

Murray rents nothing but excellent equipment, is friendly, has a very attentive & freindly staff. He also provides information on the island that was better than I expected.

I did have one problem, We didnt have enough time !!

There was also one other thing, and I will direct this to Murray as well. The driver that took us back to the pier went way out of his way to help us get stamps for our passports. I thought it was above & beyond what I would have ever expected from a driver.

Overall great experience, with the scooters, the zip-lines , beaches, and overall scenery.

I added it up, counting the cost of the scooters & the zip line tour ( near Palmetto) We spent less than if you booked one through the cruise, and we got to go wherever we wanted before & after the tour!!!

Thanks again, Murray

Marc K.

P.S. if anyone would like to see photos from the trip, you may e-mail me & I will send you the link to webshots.

thank you for the great pictures! We are soooo looking forward to this cruise. Any pointers for where to scoot to first on Roatan? We aren't doing the Zip line....we are just going to explore the island & find a couple of beaches to relax on.

FFKampy: Thanks so much for the pictures and input. Did you book the zipline ahead of time or did you just drive up on your scooter? Was it Palmetto Bay with the 20 platforms? What was the cost? Is the scooter big enough for two or should we rent one for each of us or go for a bigger motorcycle? (I am 4'10" 115 lbs, hubby is 5'5" 140 lbs.)

:eek: OMGosh !!

Heck, I am heavier than both of you combined !! These scooters took me & my wife at up to 50 mph.

We took the scooters up the hill( bumpy be carefull!) directly to the canopy site. (on the way to Palmetto) We paid $45 each, they geared us up and off we went.

Great time, I reccomend it to anyone!!!

going to try this again! Typed the last one and went off line and it disappeared!

DRENN - we will be in Roatan the same day. Who are you cruizin with? We are on the Valor. If you are on the Valor you should come over to the 10/16/05 Valor Roll Call. We are a crazy & fun group of people!

FFKAMPY - what are you thoughts? I'm 5'2" 115lbs - think I should share a scooter with my husband? I was a tom boy growing up so I can handle a small motorcycle/4wheeler...but that scooter looks big!

CAPTAIN VAN - Not long now and we will be seeing you !!! Will it be a problem if we decide to go with 1 scooter instead of 2? Do I need to let you know now, or when we get there?

My (unsolicited) advice: If you can handle a scooter, splurge a little and get one for yourself. I'm not a huge fan of riding two on a bike, motorcycle, or scooter. Yeah, it's cozier and more intimate in a way, but it's more fun when you're comfortable and in control.

going to try this again! Typed the last one and went off line and it disappeared!

DRENN - we will be in Roatan the same day. Who are you cruizin with? We are on the Valor. If you are on the Valor you should come over to the 10/16/05 Valor Roll Call. We are a crazy & fun group of people!

FFKAMPY - what are you thoughts? I'm 5'2" 115lbs - think I should share a scooter with my husband? I was a tom boy growing up so I can handle a small motorcycle/4wheeler...but that scooter looks big!

CAPTAIN VAN - Not long now and we will be seeing you !!! Will it be a problem if we decide to go with 1 scooter instead of 2? Do I need to let you know now, or when we get there?

Kristin, if you can handle a motorcycle from your youth, you are cinch to drive your own scooter. I mean.....don't women hate it when the guy owns the remote control for the TV? Wouldn't it be nice to have your own remote? Same shiite here. Drive your own machine girl!

And the scooter isn't thaaaat big...heck it's smaller than the smallest motorcycle...

Are you packed yet? Sheesh.....:p

Hey Susky! I see you were on the Valor in July. Any good or bad points you want to share? I'll be there in 8 days!

Oh, I'm envious! :)

I guess my first advice is to listen to the "pre-game talk" you get if you're renting from Captain Van's. They give you a map (not a great map, but it's better than nothing) and a run-down of what there is to do. Good info.

I did a lot of riding, because that's what I wanted to do. In hindsight, I probably would have picked a few locations to visit, and just enjoyed the ride to get to 'em, rather than just kind of meandering around. There just wasn't enough time to do all that much and enjoy a lot of riding.

I did visit the iguana farm, which was cute, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to go there again. I would probably pack for the beach, and head for West Bay for at least a little while. My friends who went there loved it.

Oh, I'm envious! :)

I guess my first advice is to listen to the "pre-game talk" you get if you're renting from Captain Van's. They give you a map (not a great map, but it's better than nothing) and a run-down of what there is to do. Good info.

I did a lot of riding, because that's what I wanted to do. In hindsight, I probably would have picked a few locations to visit, and just enjoyed the ride to get to 'em, rather than just kind of meandering around. There just wasn't enough time to do all that much and enjoy a lot of riding.

I did visit the iguana farm, which was cute, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to go there again. I would probably pack for the beach, and head for West Bay for at least a little while. My friends who went there loved it.

Susky....with your recent feedback, we have completely redone our map that we give our customers at Captain Van's Rentals. It's now clear and concise, and full of the same pertinent information...

thanks for your feedback!:)

Archived