First time cruising from Southhampton Port...need help with transportation.

Ivy86

I understand what you are saying...but I have been discouraged from flying FlyBe...have you flown them? And we are travelling with a couple and there is only 1 flight that day that has 4 seats still...and I am concerned that we all won't get on the same flight...with each of us booking separately...I guess I could book all 4!! We have flown "low cost" before...think flying to Prague...and it worked out ok...LuAnn

I would not hestitate to fly FlyBE to EDI, especially if you're starting in SOU rather than having to schelp up to LHR or LGW. You'll be fine.

There's one train option too (that doesn't invlove hauling bags across London to change stations), that you might want to consider:

dep 09:15 Southampton Central [sOU]

arr 11:37 Birmingham International [bHI] (yes, the airport station for BHX airport)

dep 11:53 Birmingham International [bHI]

arr 16:22 Edinburgh [EDB]

but the flight SOU-EDI will be a lot faster

And say hi to your better half for me (hopefully he's not still "dropping trou" to try and win at trivia like he did when we were on Mercury to Hawaii a few years back)

Where are you going once you reach the airport in Paris? Are you going into central Paris or are you flying on somewhere else?

If you're going into central Paris, then it makes no sense to start from that hotel and fly. (Actually, some would say that it's close to madness to do that.) Your better bet is a 20-minute taxi trip to St Pancras International, a 30-minute check-in for Eurostar, and a 2¼-hour trip on the train directly to central Paris. If you did that, from the same start time from your hotel you could already be in central Paris by the time your flight would actually leave the ground at Heathrow.

Even if for some reason you have to fly to Paris, you'd do a lot better to try to get a flight (if you can) from London City Airport than from Heathrow.

I would echo the chorus who say that a 7.30 am pick-up is too late for a 9.45 am flight on a weekday.

I am booked with AF travelling from Montreal to Barcelona taking a 13 day cruise ending in Southampton. spending a few days in London and a few more in Paris, so basically the air fare to Paris from London is included.

I am booked with AF travelling from Montreal to Barcelona taking a 13 day cruise ending in Southampton. spending a few days in London and a few more in Paris, so basically the air fare to Paris from London is included.
So are you locked in to those air arrangments now? Can you cancel the London-Paris sector without incurring (much) extra cost?

If it's all done and can't be changed, then there's no use crying over spilt milk.

But for central London to central Paris, Eurostar is really the only mode of travel that makes sense - and that's true even if the flight from Heathrow to Charles de Gaulle (neither of which is anywhere near the city centre - the same is basically true of Orly) would be free, because it doesn't take into account the costs of getting to and from the airports at each end, nor the additional time that it takes to fly compared to taking the train.

So are you locked in to those air arrangments now? Can you cancel the London-Paris sector without incurring (much) extra cost?

If it's all done and can't be changed, then there's no use crying over spilt milk.

But for central London to central Paris, Eurostar is really the only mode of travel that makes sense - and that's true even if the flight from Heathrow to Charles de Gaulle (neither of which is anywhere near the city centre - the same is basically true of Orly) would be free, because it doesn't take into account the costs of getting to and from the airports at each end, nor the additional time that it takes to fly compared to taking the train.

we can't make changes unless we pay C$600.00. so we'll just leave it the way it is. next time we'll know better. thanks for your help.