Pre cruise hotel - Ponce area?

mjonis

We're on the Carnival Valor on 3/22, so we'll fly in on 3/21.

I'd like an OK hotel, but it seems all the ones that are recommended near the port are like $250-300/night.

I can get the Hilton Ponce for $150 but it seems it's on the other side of the island?

Is there something else in the $150 range that doesn't have bed bugs,etc that's a little closer with free breakfast?

Yes, Ponce is Puerto Rico's "second largest city" and it is located on the other side of the island opposite of San Juan, where your cruise departs from. That's a 1.5 to 2 hour drive. For that price in San Juan your best option might be to look into the guest houses in the Ocean Park area, which is a residential area located between the tourist districts of Isla Verde and Condado.

Sorry that I cannot recommend a specific one as I am a local.

We're on the Carnival Valor on 3/22, so we'll fly in on 3/21.

I'd like an OK hotel, but it seems all the ones that are recommended near the port are like $250-300/night.

I can get the Hilton Ponce for $150 but it seems it's on the other side of the island?

Is there something else in the $150 range that doesn't have bed bugs,etc that's a little closer with free breakfast?

Two years ago, but we stayed in the Miramar section, just outside of OSJ. We used the Hotel Miramar, it was under $200 and the area was good for eating choices and shopping. No free breakfast, but a real inexpensive and good 24/7 diner was right across the street. No pool at this hotel, but there are other Miramar properties that have pools if that is important.

I'm not a native, but go to Ponce a lot. And mostly because of relatives, routinely stay in Ponce pre cruise.

That being said, unless you want to see a totally different side of Puerto Rico, I'm with aviator to find a place in old San Juan. The drive isn't the most pleasant thing for passengers (fun for me, but frustrating sometimes still, some old driving habits get old).

Still to answer your question, Ponce Hilton is really nice, a resort on the water. Other ideas- Hotel Melia is historic and cool; a new Ramada looks to be really nice; and Hotel Belica is a low cost option. All of those are are in the center of Ponce on the plaza.

There's also a holiday inn on top of a hill overlooking Ponce.

Eventually we will stay at one, I figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info.

Any thoughts about Isla Verde area?

Seems that Miramar and Isla Verde are semi-close and a little cheaper (maybe around $200/night).

Not sure if the extra cab fare (further away) offsets the slightly cheaper hotel.

Sad thing is that you're looking at another $40 or more for taxes/fees on top of the $200/night rate. Wow.

I guess San Juan is kinda like Hawaii in that regard.

Or maybe I've been using my timeshare too much and not used to paying hotel taxes.

--Kevin

You definitely don't want to travel all the way to Ponce just to get a cheaper hotel. Your travel costs will definitely use up any of your savings on the hotel.

Have you tried some of the sites like Hotwire and Priceline for deals?

We got the Radisson ( Yes, reviews are bad) for about $100 as an Express deal. Certainly for one night pre-cruise I can live with it.

There is also LMT that often has good deals.

You definitely don't want to travel all the way to Ponce just to get a cheaper hotel. Your travel costs will definitely use up any of your savings on the hotel.

Have you tried some of the sites like Hotwire and Priceline for deals?

We got the Radisson ( Yes, reviews are bad) for about $100 as an Express deal. Certainly for one night pre-cruise I can live with it.

There is also LMT that often has good deals.

Apparently we're going in "high season" (March 21) as even the Radisson is $215.

LMT looks cheap and then they're double the taxes/fees of practically every other site, so it's not all that great. Maybe $10 cheaper for the Doubletree, for example vs. what I can get it elsewhere. For a lot of the hotels (but some are pretty good discounts) like the Miramar, for example.

For one night, and the free breakfast I'm leaning towards the Verdanza for $166 plus $36 taxes from Priceline.

Or the Miramar for $126 w/taxes and free breakfast.

I think I can get the Courtyard for $202 plus $40 taxes or the DoubleTree for $220.

Originally I was going to spend $150 plus taxes, so I guess another $30-50 isn't that bad.

The Valor cruise is semi-unique as it's a 5 day, leaves San Juan, but arrives in Port Canaveral, so it's actually a bit cheaper since flights from MCO to ALB are 1/3 of what they are vs. returning from San Juan (even on Southwest, it's like $125 vs $450). And i got a REALLY good rate (or so I think).

--Kevin

Kevin,

You can get the Atlantic Beach Hotel for your date for $129 with Priceline. It is two stars only because it is small and lacks amenities. No fancy pool or balconies but it is oceanfront and has a great onsite restaurant for breakfast overlooking the water.

We plan to go back this March for breakfast even though we are staying at the Radisson.

Or, click on the orange 'express deal' tab on priceline and there is a 3.5 star for $109 in the OSJ or Candado area. It does have a pool and free internet. Even with all taxes and fees it comes to $141 so well within your budget. Could be the Radisson but it could be something else. Even so, it is for one night. Sometimes it's worth taking risks.

Both the Atlantic and the Radisson are very well located.

We have booked the Acacia Hotel for one night post cruise using Booking dot com. It is a small Boutique hotel and is a very close to the beach and a short 7 minute walk to the bar/resto area of the Condado. Price is about $155. This is for March 8th so also high season. We thought it would be find to find something more 'Puerto Rican"

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Kevin,

We are on the same cruise! I am going to keep checking priceline..was up to 126 with no luck on 4* so maybe closer sail time, it will go down-I hope! If not, will probably do the express which I do believe is Radisson. I love this itinerary..it's like we get 3 great ports including San Juan-or 4 as we are staying in Orlando until 7pm as well. It should be a great time!

Kevin,

We are on the same cruise! I am going to keep checking priceline..was up to 126 with no luck on 4* so maybe closer sail time, it will go down-I hope! If not, will probably do the express which I do believe is Radisson. I love this itinerary..it's like we get 3 great ports including San Juan-or 4 as we are staying in Orlando until 7pm as well. It should be a great time!

Hey awesome!

So far I'm in cabin #6372 (we'll see how that goes as it's slightly above Club O2). Someone suggested seeing if I could switch to Empress deck (same price for me).

I think I'll use LMT to book the Miramar (it got better reviews than the Raddison I think) and it was like $100 + taxes and free breakfast?

--Kevin

I'm in 9266 Lido which probably has all the noise-lol! That is a good deal. I have never used LMT but would be great for 100 and breakfast. Then we are going to get to ship around 11:30 to drop off our bags, eat lunch and then explore OSJ...Have you been on the Roll Call? It is quiet there but hope it picks up!

I'm in 9266 Lido which probably has all the noise-lol! That is a good deal. I have never used LMT but would be great for 100 and breakfast. Then we are going to get to ship around 11:30 to drop off our bags, eat lunch and then explore OSJ...Have you been on the Roll Call? It is quiet there but hope it picks up!

I'll send you the link in a PM.

I wasn't sure what to do since the ship leaves at 10 p.m. I didn't want to chance a same-day flight, so that's why we're in the previous day.

Can you drop off your checked bag early and then enter the ship later in the afternoon?

Do they serve lunch on the ship?

I'll have to visit the roll call area.

--Kevin

I didn't see a PM..don't even know how that works-lol. My email is hmontgomery@gmail.com. Yes-from what I read on here, people say you can check your luggage with the porters, board the ship and eat lunch around 11:30 (just not able to get into rooms until later) I guess we are within walking distance to all the forts and OSJ so lots to see and walk around exploring.

I've done this cruise twice. Both times we could check in around 11:30-12. Get on board eat lunch. D get back off to explore OSJ or head down the block to CVS to get waters, juices or wine whatever you forgot. Our luggage was in our room by 130ish. Awesome ports enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums