Best Ships for July

janikh

We (4 adults) are planning an Alaska Cruise for July. We get off the ships when they dock & re-board as late as we can. So - we are wondering which ships offer the best onboard experiences for the evenings and dining. Also, which are the best for service & amenities. We have done Royal Caribbean, Celebrity & Carnival (NEVER AGAIN!), but not Princess or HAL. We have been steered away from Norwegian. Any preferences?

You state you would normally be spending all the port time in port, so, is it "Alaska" the reason for doing so? Why did you choose this destination? Have you looked at port descriptions? Know how you are going to occupy your port time?

As for evening activities, all the line are quieter than the Caribbean. Depends what you like in the evening? Music, shows, comedy???? etc

Is a ship naturalist of interest?

I have been on all your listed lines in Alaska. Again, it depends what are YOUR priorities. I find service great on all. As for amenities, they would be listed on the cruise line web site.

We (4 adults) are planning an Alaska Cruise for July. We get off the ships when they dock & re-board as late as we can. So - we are wondering which ships offer the best onboard experiences for the evenings and dining. Also, which are the best for service & amenities. We have done Royal Caribbean, Celebrity & Carnival (NEVER AGAIN!), but not Princess or HAL. We have been steered away from Norwegian. Any preferences?

Based on my experiences, I agree with your opinion to stay away from CCL and NCL.

I'd say the best dining and service experience is on Celebrity. However, for the other stuff you mentioned - onboard experience, evenings, and amenities - I'd say it's a toss up between Royal Caribbean and Princess.

Based on my experiences, I agree with your opinion to stay away from CCL and NCL.

I'd say the best dining and service experience is on Celebrity. However, for the other stuff you mentioned - onboard experience, evenings, and amenities - I'd say it's a toss up between Royal Caribbean and Princess.

Have you sailed all these lines in Alaska, for a valid comparison?

Have you sailed all these lines in Alaska, for a valid comparison?

Yes. I have extensive experience on all these lines, including Alaskan itineraries.

Don't need to eat a can of beets to know a slice of cake tastes better

LOL! Very true statement. :D

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Well I will continue to advocate it isn't so simple as the above posts. Every cruiseline can and does offer some very positive experiences. Including costs. :) It would be hard for the negative posters above to dispute, as example- my NCL finds on the Sun last year, with a superb itinerary, for less than $1000 for 2. Extremely enjoyable for me. Picked up 3 of them. :)

It appears, Cruz..41 has sailed all the lines, Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, RCI, NCL and Princess IN Alaska and they have their preferences which is valuable information to others.

It again, depends on each person. It is crucial to determine the right direction each person needs to go. (instead of following what is popular). The more you know the clearer this becomes.

Well I will continue to advocate it isn't so simple as the above posts. Every cruiseline can and does offer some very positive experiences. Including costs. :) It would be hard for the negative posters above to dispute, as example- my NCL finds on the Sun last year, with a superb itinerary, for less than $1000 for 2. Extremely enjoyable for me. Picked up 3 of them. :)

It appears, Cruz..41 has sailed all the lines, Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, RCI, NCL and Princess IN Alaska and they have their preferences which is valuable information to others.

It again, depends on each person. It is crucial to determine the right direction each person needs to go. (instead of following what is popular). The more you know the clearer this becomes.

That's fine. I'm sure every opinion is appreciated here. I just don't understand why, on alot of these threads, you feel the need to challenge everyone by repeating your opinion. :confused: Just give your advice and let it go already. You're not the only frequent cruiser around here.

Thanks for the input. The actual cruise date may also determine which way we go.

so whats so bad about NCL?

I don't find them "bad" at all. I sailed NCL IN Alaska 4 times last year, 3 on the Sun 2 northbound, 1 south, and on the Pearl. I greatly enjoyed every trip. :)

It's certainly personal. I don't care about what ship, my priority is for where it takes me. :)

As noted above, everyone is different. IF something particular is important to you, then be certain to identify it and include it in your selection.

Any of the cruiselines can offer great trips. Just because someone doesn't like it, doesn't mean everyone will. Reading trip reports could be a good source of information to determine if the style of cruising is what you want.

Since you like to spend as much time as possible in port, I think you should start out by checking how many ports each cruise visits and how long they spend there.

I personally really love the Royal Caribbean Alaskan cruise! It's the only one I've been on, so I have nothing to compare with, but we loved our cruise on the Radiance and are returning this summer!

The itinerary for the radiance is amazing IMHO. They visit 4 ports and spend A LOT of time in each port (for instance, over 12 hours in Juneau and Skagway) which allows you to really make the most of each port without feeling rushed.

The Radiance itself is stunning, and with glass all over the place I think it's the best ship for Alaska. DH and I are very active, we don't like lounging around, so we participated activities pretty much anytime we were on the ship and not sleeping or eating 😎, but we were always surrounded by the beautiful scenery outside.

As far as activities on board, RCCL really has it down. We were busy all the time. Trivia, video scavenger hunt, name that dance etc... So much fun!!

In terms of amenities and meals, I can't help much since we're pretty easy going. We really like the Windjammer and preferred eating there rather then in the main dining room. We just like the easy going atmosphere and the big selection. We also really liked the Park Cafe.

I hope this helps 😊 have fun planning!

so whats so bad about NCL?

I really try not to dislike a cruise line because cruising is my passion, regardless of the brand. However, I have never had such consistent poor service as I have on NCL. Anything, name it, from rooms not getting cleaned, to very poorly maintained ships, to awful MDR service.

Plus, I'm just not a fan of Freestyle for many reasons. One, I don't like the dumbing down of the dress code. Regardless of where I'm cruising, I still enjoy a respectable atmosphere in the evenings, not an MDR full of blue jeans and baseball caps. Two, it is very common to be handed a pager and made to wait upwards of 30 minutes for a table.

To me, NCL is just scraping the bottom of the cruising barrel. You get what you pay for I guess.

EDIT - By the way, I agree 100% with alaskawdw12. Radiance of the Seas is a gorgeous ship - probably the most beautiful ship sailing Alaska behind Celebrity Solstice.

Edited by Cruzaholic41