What I've learned prior to my 10/8 POAM cruise

poajj08

As you can see from my number of posts I have not been much of a contributor to these boards, more of a benefactor, so I thought I would give back a little. Here is a list of items I have learned from reading the boards that will help my wife and I and the two couples we are bringing with us on the POAM on 10/8

• Booked air through NCL – make seat arrangements for both legs of flight to ensure that my wife and I sit together
  • Transfers to Marriott for one day pre-cruise stay – will need to find my own bags and bring them with me to NCL shuttle
  • Marriott check in and one day stay – large rooms, early check in works great
  • Join Marriott Rewards program (already a member)
  • Plan on doing Pearl Harbor the day of the cruise – get there by 7am otherwise lines get very long
  • Plan on getting to the ship around 1:30 or 2:00pm
  • Expect bags to be searched - open water bottles sniffed
  • Book specialty restaurant – Lazy J’s or LeBistro first night (half price)
  • Book rest of specialty restaurants early the next morning – 7am - try to get Teppanyaki room
  • If we don’t want a 2 hr dinner experience, plan on using the buffet
  • Food in restaurants is not real Hawaiian fare – eat locally once or twice to experience this. Pacific Café or Bali Hai on Kauai for example
  • Soda card is probably not worth the money, just for dinner
  • Rent cars in Maui, Kauai and Hilo (already done through Thrifty)
  • If renting through Thrifty, join Blue Chip rewards (done)
  • Go to feast at LeLe in Maui - book ahead of time online
  • Plan to spend some time in Lahaina, looking around and shopping
  • Take a ship excursion on Kona – early tendering and back in time for Chocolate buffet at 2:30pm (Captain Zodiac Kealakakua bay (sorry, spelling)
  • Bring binoculars for Lava cruise-by
  • Take advantage of room service for coffee and tea on the balcony
  • Be prepared for small bathroom – I am 6 foot 5, 235 lbs.
  • Be prepared for small cabin – (I’ve cruised in cabins smaller)
  • Expect to have some cleanliness issues in the room (not a problem if it is clean when we get there)
  • There will more than likely be some sewage smell on certain decks - hopefully not deck 8.
  • Order the anniversary package - we are celebrating our 20th on the ship
  • Cold Hot tubs, small pools
  • Disembarkation will be swift and painless
  • Flight will most likely be a red-eye home to Phoenix – plan on doing something for the day in Oahu –
  • Most importantly – keep expectations low – let the destination be the vacation, not the cruise experience itself.

Again, these are a culmination of many peoples opinions and ideas - not my own yet, since I have not had my turn on the POAM. Feel free to add your own. I plan on doing a full review the Sunday after we return.

[*]Most importantly – keep expectations low – let the destination be the vacation, not the cruise experience itself.

Great list until you got to the last item. And you said it was most important... I wouldn't keep your expectations low. Several people have gone on the POAM and had a great time and they didn't have low expectations. They expected a good cruise with the beauty of Hawaii and that's what they got. Granted, no vacation is ever perfect but I wouldn't go into it with low expectations for a vacation I've planned for for so long. Expect a great trip. If you don't have a great trip, it's not your fault. If it's not great...NCL didn't live up to it. But you shouldn't expect less. Anyway...I hope it is great. :)

We have a group of 15 also traveling on POAM with you POAJJ on Oct 8th. Just as you, I have been reading and reading all the posts about Hawaii and the cruise experience to be expected and to be honest I was getting a little scared. Normally when we cruise the ships have always had mostly very good reviews, but we have never cruised on a ship so new as POA so I am going to try and be positive and know that we are going to see some of the most beautiful land in our country.We are looking so forward to that.

We have a group of 15 also traveling on POAM with you POAJJ on Oct 8th. Just as you, I have been reading and reading all the posts about Hawaii and the cruise experience to be expected and to be honest I was getting a little scared. Normally when we cruise the ships have always had mostly very good reviews, but we have never cruised on a ship so new as POA so I am going to try and be positive and know that we are going to see some of the most beautiful land in our country.We are looking so forward to that.
Please also remember that a very small percentage of people that are members of this board actually cruise NCL ships every week. That doesn't mean that the bad reviews are wrong. They may be dead right. But keep in persepctive the bad reviews in relation to 2000 people. Also, remember that people are more likely to complain than compliment. Again, the bad reviews may be accurate but there are more people on the ship than those that are members here.

Most importantly – keep expectations low – let the destination be the vacation, not the cruise experience itself.

Couldn't have said it any better. I read the bad reviews of the POAM prior to our sailing and went with a positive attitude, that's all you really need. With that in mind, my family and I had a great time. Not everything went according to plan, but we were there to have fun and be together. I'm sure both of you will have a great time.

You might want to check out the specialty restaurant reservation counter once you board. On our sailing, the first night they were having 1/2 price at Jefferson's Bistro and East Meets West (teppanyaki).

I wonder, do NCL managers review this board? We are booked for next July on the POA. Frankly, the reviews are depressing. We intend to keep watching until we have pay more and then decide whether to forfeit the deposit and island hop instead. We're not that hard to please, but some of the comments are concerning.

deposit is refundable now, we were booked on the pride of aloha (back to back) when all the negative reviews were coming out. Looked into air/land options and found prices about the same as cruising. Did not do the big island. Family of 4, stayed at hotels, a condo and a house. Had a great vacation, ate what we wanted and when,first class accommodations, more time on islands, and didn't have to travel with the crowds. We have cruised 6 times, once on ncl sky(pride of aloha). Why spend a vacation in a cramped room, terrible food and service, and little or no stateroom service. If I have a problem with a hotel I can check out. If I have a problem with a restaurant I can leave. You will be stuck on their ship and I have dealt with their customer service dept. Which doesn't exsist. We have never regreted our decision for our hawaii vacation. We still love to cruise and are booked for 2 cruises this winter,just not with ncl. Read the reviews, some people say that there are 2000 people cruising on the ship and just a couple complain. The ones that like the cruise don't bother writing reviews. Then why on every other cruise page there are many more positive than negative reveiws. Go with your gut feeling.

We still love to cruise and are booked for 2 cruises this winter,just not with ncl. Read the reviews, some people say that there are 2000 people cruising on the ship and just a couple complain. The ones that like the cruise don't bother writing reviews. Then why on every other cruise page there are many more positive than negative reveiws. Go with your gut feeling.

I think I have to agree with this. Compare the reviews and comments on this ship to the reviews on other ships and then ask yourself if the ratio of negative to positive reviews for POA is greater than for other ships and if so why?

poajj88: Thank you for summarizing. I have been reading comments about POAm and I think you are dead on, especially the last line. We may be pleasantly surprized if all goes well on our upcoming cruise.

retsof: I was wondering the same thing. Do the NCL people read these comments? I guess all of these are addressed directly to them in some kind of comment card at the end of the cruise. It would be interesting to know how many negative complaints (totally) NCL receives out of how many on the cruise. :confused:

It is always good to be an informed consumer. I really appreciate everyone posting reviews.

Hello everyone. I haven't checked the boards lately as I've been getting my classroom ready. I sailed on the Panama Canal cruise, the first cruise with paying passengers. I had a great time, and would go again in a heartbeat. Not everything was perfect...but then, I'm not perfect either. I loved the ship, met some wonderful people-both passengers and crew. We especially enjoyed the bar at the back of the ship, I think it is the Waikiki bar, and the bartender Jeff. Very quiet, and very laid back.

I'm sure that some of the crew read these boards. We met with several upper level staff members at our Cruise Critic party and they wanted to know our opinions. Many of them mentioned that they were aware of Cruise Critic.

I hope that everyone who sails on the Pride has just as wonderful an experience as I did.

Wishing you smooth sailing! Kristy

You mentioned you got a refund of the deposit. We went through a travel agent did you? Did NCL put up much of an argument? I would appreciate hearing your approach. Thanks.
If you booked through a travel agent, they may have a cancellation policy that has nothing to do with NCL. NCL will give you a 100% refund of your deposit if you cancel your cruise before final payment is due. If your TA is keeping some of your deposit, that's their fee.

Archived