Our Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review

Arwen

Would you happen to remember the name of the island?

Karen, I should have thought of this before, email me at 'my screen name' at AOL dot com and I send you the 14 pages of the shore excursions. I just sent them to a couple from a different roll call.

EW

Did you go on any of the ship's shore excursions? If so, would you give a description of each and share if you felt like you had gotten your money's worth. Were there any delays on dockking or tendering times at the various ports? Were there any good shops at the port areas? Did you feel at all unsafe during your time at any of the ports? Thanks,!

I felt safe at all times. The daily program warns about not showing off jewelry or lots of money..Pick pockets can be found in many cities. So, dressing down is what I always do. I have cargo pants as does hubby. Problem solved.

We had no delays that I recall. There may have been 20 minutes or something for 'clearing' procedures, but I don't recall any significant impact.

Shopping: We did not do much, but as is typical when you hit a tourist area, the prices tend to be higher. Example of this is when we were in Belize. We took a short guided trolley bus ride around Belize. Our two guides were entertaining and sweet. The one guide said, if we shopped just outside the ship confined shopping area, we would save 30%. You can barter there.

We bought a few items in the area right outside the port security area.

Cozumel...be careful. I did not buy anything. Even a couple we became friendly with on the ship felt the street vendor prices were too high. She wanted a particular item...(had purchased before) and paid $10.00. In Cozumel, the vendor wanted $60.00. True, Cozumel is a higher end resort area, but this lady eventually found (at another vendor) what she wanted for a reasonable price.

There were two formal nights, both on sea days. I can tell you for sure, that the first formal night is not on your first sea day (the day after sailing).

And as another poster pointed out, yes, the ship shore excursions...a huge choice and lots to read!

We stuck with the ship's excursions this time. Why? Because we have done the Caribbean many times, and frankly, I had a one sort of scary (no, it was very scary) experience on an excursion we booked ourselves several years ago(despite the high reviews on TripAdvisor)! It was a very important and neglected safety issue.

We became friendly with another couple at our 6 p.m. fixed dining. They booked all their own excursions and were delighted to save so much money. Totally understand that. But they, too had a rather scary experience this time (close call and 'almost' collision). Life does not guarantee us safety at all times, but one can increase the odds for safety :rolleyes:

The one excursion we took that really made an impression was in Port Limon, Costa Rica. We went on the Tortuguero Canal nature trip. We chose the morning one (afternoon is offered, too)...thinking we would sight more wildlife.

We were on a very small 'ferry' type boat. Our guide, Irene (from Adventures 2000) was one of the best guides we had ever had! (and we have done 19 cruises). She was so attentive to everyone's needs. She paid special attention to making sure everyone could spot the wildlife.

We saw: 2 Toed Sloths and 3 Toed Sloths (one has brown fur and the other gray..and faces are slightly different). 3. A 'Jesus Christ' Lizard (because it can walk on water). 4. Blue Herons 5. A white bird (looks like an Egret) but has long yellow toes...which when they wiggle them in the water, look like worms ...and thus, these birds can easily catch fish!!!

We also saw these little bats (forget the name) camouflaged on a log...very tiny and cute. Irene spotted a Howler Monkey, but it had its back to us.

Morpho Butterflies: gorgeous...we have them in our Seattle Science Center Butterfly exhibit. Brown spotted exterior wings, and bright blue interior.

And there were numerous 'Social Flycatcher' birds...yellow tummies.

The Canal cruise was nice because it wasn't too long and we had enough time to catch lunch in the Oceanview Cafe' :D

Cartegena: We enjoyed the Horse Carriage Ride. This started out as a bus tour and our guide was good. The carriage ride is about 40 minutes? But it was lovely (though hot and humid and remember to wear a hat, sunblock, and sunglasses, bring water ....)

We were part of a parade of Horse drawn carriages and as we went by many people stared or waved. Fun! We were allowed to travel down very narrow alleys/streets where regular traffic was not allowed. The best part!

Panama: There are two Embera Village Excursions. One is an authentic village and you travel there by dugout canoe. TripAdvisor and folks here rave about that one.

We chose the 'easier' and shorter one as my hubby has MS. We took a small ferry ride to another village. I am not sure if the Emberas there actually live there. A few clues while there led me to think not.

Still, it was interesting and we learned a lot. But if you can handle getting in and out of a dugout and getting wet, then the authentic village would be the better choice.

Oh, and I purchased an Embera Indian tattoo for my wrist for $2.00! They use black henna. Emberas decorate most of their body (and some even their faces) with this.

Cozumel: From the ship to where you meet for your shore excursion is about a block and a half walk (hubby says). I say it is more like two blocks altogether. There are no shuttles.

I was concerned about the long walk, but hubby managed fine. For anyone with a slight or more significant disability, it is just a 'heads up' warning.

Also, there were so many guides (private and Ship sponsored) holding up signs...the area (IMHO) was so disorganized...look for any Cruise employee and make sure you get directed properly. It really is very congested and confusing there.

We signed up for a short guided bus ride and a visit to a mock-up Maya Village. The guide was TERRIBLE. This excursion was pretty inexpensive (under $40.00 pp)...so maybe that is why? He wasn't what I would call smoothly fluent in English..had a heavy accent and well was not impressive.

Cozumel, outside the resort area is not pretty at all. That being said, we did enjoy the mock-up village. We actually cancelled a shore excursion that would have taken us to a five star hotel beach area where you learn to make different Tequila drinks and to learn Salsa dancing.

Yet, what seemed to be initially a boring and not 'glamorous' tour of this mock-up village actually turned out to be fascinating. We sampled hot chocolate as the Maya's made it. (tastes like it has been BBQ'd!!)

We also were given 'honey candy'. Honey was important to Mayans.

We were given samples of freshly made corn tortillas with a type of bean spread in it..and there were special sauces for this as well.

The Hot chocolate demo, the honey demo, etc...were held in open air grass shelters and we went from one hut or station to the next. The guide did not facilitate the large number of people in our group. Only about 15 people could squeeze in to watch the demo...so we hung back as did others so we could speak to the young lady and sample and ask questions.

But the best part? A young man dressed in full Maya face and body paint and costume did a fire dance for us. This was AMAZING!!!!!! He used a small bowl with fire in it to....place on the ground and put the soles of his feet in it......to run this bowl around his body, etc. And his dancing to the drum music....excellent! The man was very agile. Later, I had my hubby take a photo with him and gave him a tip. May post that photo on my FB or here...

Cheers!:)

Edited by Arwen

The first formal night was the first sea day . ( for sure) The 2nd one was the 2nd last sea day.

I remember a few things quite differently but we all look for different things . Didn't see many mashed potatoes on the menu and when they had potato I had it substituted.

The only considerable delay getting off in a port was due to a man who had a stroke at dinner the night before being taken off 1st.. \ It was slow.

It took a while for many to get in to Belize as well as it is a long trip in so if you book a private tour book late. If you book a private tour just remember that all passengers with ships tours get off first

Disembarking was very slow!!!! . They said it is every time they do this intinerary. When we left at 11:30 there were still a few on board and a very long line at customs . In the end they tried to get most folks off and gave us seating and we were called in groups after that.. but only US and Canadians as they other non citizens were still backed up. Got through at noon. Some missed flights.

We felt quite safe in all ports except Colon. We only walked in the port area and would not dare to leave.