Serenade OTS questions from an RCI noob

FSRoberts

I just booked on the Jan 15, 2016 sailing, as I found it a great deal and, given how much I'm hating winter right now, it will be nice to have a break.

That said, I have a few simple questions, and would rather not wait nearly a year to find out. By way of background, I'm in a category N interior cabin on deck 4.

• Does the Serenade have flatscreens or old CRTs? Most pictures show the latter, but a few show the former. Can a DVD player be hooked up to them, or is it only operable with RCI's closed circuit?
  • What is the cabin sitting area like? The RCI website seems to show a couch or loveseat, but I've seen customer images of just an armchair.
  • How accessible is the helipad? I've read it's open for sail away, but is it open other times, like sea days or port days? Is it accessable at night, as my wife and I love to stargaze (and the forward decks on Carnival ships were the best, darkest spot).
  • I use a CPAP. I understand there are no standard plugs near the bed. However, on carnival ships, there were 220v European-style plugs near the bed for nightstand lights, which I could use with a prong converter and my dual-voltage CPAP. Is there anything similar on the Serenade OTS so I don't need to stretch an extension cord across the cabin?
  • The movie theater appears quite small. Is it a challenge to get in and find seats?
  • Help me understand Izumi. There is a cover charge, but food is a la carte? How does it work if getting the Chops/Giovanni's/Izumi package?
  • Any other tips, tricks, or special spots I should be aware of?

My mil was in an ocean view cabin on deck 4 forward and she had a flat screen tv not sure about hooking up a DVD. She had a oxygen concentrator that we rented and the ship provided an extension cord for it and a electric wheelchair. We routed it under the bed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I just booked on the Jan 15, 2016 sailing, as I found it a great deal and, given how much I'm hating winter right now, it will be nice to have a break.

That said, I have a few simple questions, and would rather not wait nearly a year to find out. By way of background, I'm in a category N interior cabin on deck 4.

• Does the Serenade have flatscreens or old CRTs? Most pictures show the latter, but a few show the former. Can a DVD player be hooked up to them, or is it only operable with RCI's closed circuit?
  • What is the cabin sitting area like? The RCI website seems to show a couch or loveseat, but I've seen customer images of just an armchair.
  • How accessible is the helipad? I've read it's open for sail away, but is it open other times, like sea days or port days? Is it accessable at night, as my wife and I love to stargaze (and the forward decks on Carnival ships were the best, darkest spot).
  • I use a CPAP. I understand there are no standard plugs near the bed. However, on carnival ships, there were 220v European-style plugs near the bed for nightstand lights, which I could use with a prong converter and my dual-voltage CPAP. Is there anything similar on the Serenade OTS so I don't need to stretch an extension cord across the cabin?
  • The movie theater appears quite small. Is it a challenge to get in and find seats?
  • Help me understand Izumi. There is a cover charge, but food is a la carte? How does it work if getting the Chops/Giovanni's/Izumi package?
  • Any other tips, tricks, or special spots I should be aware of?

I'll give your questions a shot...

The Serenade has been updated with flat screen TV's. I've never tried to hook up a DVD or accessories to it so I can't answer the 2nd part.

Seating configuration depends on your category of cabin. Standard balconies have the small 2 person sofa. If you have a JS or above it has the sofa + chairs. I would refer to the RCI website for cabin layouts.

Not sure of the hours the heliport is accessible. Sorry

I would definitely bring an extension cord for your CPAP. There may be an outlet in the bathroom or on the desk. Either way, it won't reach the bed with a regular length cord.

The theater is located near the pub and has fairly steep theater style seating (go figure!). You shouldn't have a problem as long as you can negotiate steps. There are railings for you to use as well.

I personally haven't tried Izumi but have eaten at several surcharged specialty restaurants. If you book on line prior to boarding you are charged the surcharge immediately which is why we wait to book until we are on board. Basically, it is an upscale meal experience which usually entails even better service, the services of a sommelier, etc. We usually enjoy one or two of the specialty restaurants during our cruises. Also, most passengers will give an extra gratuity on top of the surcharge for good service.

Extra tips: Always bring less clothes and more money! You never wear everything you bring and stuff always costs more than you think.

Get to know the staff as they are there to meet your needs and will take care of you.

Plenty of storage in your cabin. Stash your empty suitcases under the bed.

The R Bar is a fun hangout in the evening on the Serenade. Always lots of activity on deck 4 in this area.

There are a million of tips - just have a great time and have fun exploring the ship!

Thanks for the replies so far.

As for Izumi, my question is more the weird setup, as I have dined in Carnival specialty restaurants before. A cover charge AND a la carte pricing? That seems strange. Why not just add a buck to each course and have it be no cover, or make it a bigger cover and include all items? Are some basics included in the cover, and fancier dishes a charge? How much are the items?

The tv is flat screen and swivels.

Our inside cabin had a love seat.

The heliPad just depends I think. We found it closed several times but I think it was due to the wind more than time of day. The rock wall was also closed due to winds.

I did not look for outlets near the bed. I would bring or request an extension cord.

I found the theater seemed larger than the theater we had on Navigator. That may just be my faulty memory though. We checked it out one sea day but couldn't bring ourselves to sit inside a dark theater watching what was showing. It would have to be a really great movie and/or really bad weather for me to sit in there. :)

We didn't try Izumi.

Serenade is great! Check out the Safari Club on deck 6 for fabulous inside views of the wake. We also found great viewing of pool contests from the Viking Crown Lounge mid-day. Have a fantastic trip!

Thanks for the replies so far.

As for Izumi, my question is more the weird setup, as I have dined in Carnival specialty restaurants before. A cover charge AND a la carte pricing? That seems strange. Why not just add a buck to each course and have it be no cover, or make it a bigger cover and include all items? Are some basics included in the cover, and fancier dishes a charge? How much are the items?

I don't believe Izumi has both a cover and a la carte charges. I think at one point they had both, but then switched to just a la carte.

Our our cruise on the Radiance last June, it was a la carte. And our upcoming Oasis cruise shows Izumi as $0 when going to make a reservation. I think it would be the same for the Serenade.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Regarding the use of CPAPs on board-- I have sailed on both Royal and Celebrity (Both RCL lines) and I do bring my CPAP as well. There is a medical form (on the Royal website) you fill out and send/email to Royal with your sailing info etc and you can then specify you have a CPAP and request they provide bedside power AND Distilled water and they will do both.

As soon as we get in the room, we look for the cabin attendant and tell him/her the CPAP need and they will get an extension cord sorted for bedside power (and since it is their cord, they will tape it down and make sure you will not trip on it at night)and provide the distilled water as well. I think the key is to fill out the form and submit it in advance (I always do) but even if you don't, they can probably accommodate your needs. We have never had any issues using a CPAP unit on board.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

Edited by Hotel CA

I don't believe Izumi has both a cover and a la carte charges. I think at one point they had both, but then switched to just a la carte.

Our our cruise on the Radiance last June, it was a la carte. And our upcoming Oasis cruise shows Izumi as $0 when going to make a reservation. I think it would be the same for the Serenade.

That is incorrect just got off the ship on 1/10/15 and there was a $5 cover charge then a la carte pricing. (don't know if the cover gets applied to your bill or not).