A ROYAL pain in the arse.

RubyGold

Ok, I'm a Royal newbie and don't know all the rules yet so bare with me!!!

I have a cruise booked for May out of Southampton, it's all fully paid and excursions booked. I was looking on the Royal site this morning and saw that the price for my sailing had dramatically reduced, so started looking at pricing to upgrade. Here's where it got tricky....

I booked an oceanview at £1098 for two people, and now you can book a balcony for around £800 or a junior suite for £1198.

I called to see if I can pay the difference for a JS (£100, great deal) and when they 're-priced' my already booked cruise, I was told that they would require another £400 on top.

Wait a minute......

For what?

For 'taxes and fees'.

After doing a mock booking, that is still a few hundred above what you can book a brand new sailing for. AND I wouldn't be able to keep the beverage package that was given on my original booking.

If I move to a balcony room, it will cost another £100, even though the current price is at least £150 less than I've paid.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Why can I not just pay to upgrade to match the current booking price for a higher category room?

I'm trying to give them money, not asking for anything back.

Ok, I'm a Royal newbie and don't know all the rules yet so bare with me!!!

I have a cruise booked for May out of Southampton, it's all fully paid and excursions booked. I was looking on the Royal site this morning and saw that the price for my sailing had dramatically reduced, so started looking at pricing to upgrade. Here's where it got tricky....

I booked an oceanview at £1098 for two people, and now you can book a balcony for around £800 or a junior suite for £1198.

I called to see if I can pay the difference for a JS (£100, great deal) and when they 're-priced' my already booked cruise, I was told that they would require another £400 on top.

Wait a minute......

For what?

For 'taxes and fees'.

After doing a mock booking, that is still a few hundred above what you can book a brand new sailing for. AND I wouldn't be able to keep the beverage package that was given on my original booking.

If I move to a balcony room, it will cost another £100, even though the current price is at least £150 less than I've paid.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Why can I not just pay to upgrade to match the current booking price for a higher category room?

I'm trying to give them money, not asking for anything back.

This is always a problem for UK cruisers, and you're right, it is an absolute pain!

You can cancel and rebook, but you will lose your deposit. Sometimes you can still save money by doing this though! Customers in the USA have different terms and conditions.

As you say, its a pain in the arse! We looked at doing it for our upcoming Oasis cruise when the price of a JS dropped to near that of our room, but to do it would lose deposit, drinks package, gratuities, OBC and 'future cruise certificate', so it just wasn't worth it.

Simon

Thanks for replies!

And yes, I'll lose £300 if I cancel. Plus the drinks package was free with paid gratuities with my sailing. I'll just chalk this one up to a learning experience!

If you are referring to Anthem 3 night sailing on 23 May, I believe the junior suite deal for £1198 is on all inclusive basis