Free Travel Insurance - is it worth it??

kichan

I booked my '06 cruise while onboard the Sovereign. I received a quote from a Cruise Travel Outlet that offers free travel insurance if I transfer my booking to their agency. Is it worthwhile to make the switch (I get to keep my shipboard credit, etc), or should I just pay the additional $40-$50 and get travel insurance on my own.

Any advice from those who have used an agency's free travel insurance would be greatly appreciated.

I checked into the "free" insurance offered by many of the cruise TAs. If you really read the policy, it barely covers anything. The maximum payouts are way less than you would need to catch-up to the ship or cover the cost of the vacation if you had to cancel. Most only cover up to $3000 dollars. They don't cover damages to luggage or medical expenses. Ask for a copy of the policy before you decide.

My TA (first time I've used him so I hope he is okay) offered a $100/cabin onboard credit if I didn't want their insurance. I took the credit and bought my insurance from another source.

I'll second that.If you do some comparision shopping between cruise sites you'll see that the "free insurance" isn't so free.I've seen it as much as $100 difference in price and for a plan that barely covers anything ,:eek: thats way too much.Do some research online and buy your own.Let the TA give you a onboard credit for a perk.

Thanks for all of your advice. Looks like I will just get the insurance on my own. The agent sent me an e-mail to offer a $50 onboard credit if I don't take the insurance. Does anyone know if you can use this is in addition to the RCCL onboard credit?

You can use it in addition. I'm using the credit from the TA along with several Visa RRCL reward certificates for credit. No problems so far, but I don't leave for another month. When I called RC to check on the amount of credits, they had them all listed.

Archived