Constellation-July 2006- Advice Please

Shelley G

Hi!

My husband and I are booked on this British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise next July 15th.

We have decided to stay in Paris for a few days pre-cruise so that when the ship makes the stop at Le Havre we can go to see the beaches of Normandy, instead of travelling to Paris. We hope to go to Dover on July 14th and spend the night there.

Here are my questions. What is the best way to get to Dover from Paris? Should we take the Chunnel train? Does the train go to Dover or London? If it goes only to London, how should we travel to Dover? Or, should we take a ferry from Calais to Dover? What recommendations do you have for a bed & breakfast or hotel in Dover?

Thanks for all your help.

Shelley :)

We were on Constellation July 2, 2005, Baltic and spent 2-1/2 days in Paris prior. I looked into regular trains to Calais plus the ferry to Dover because it seemed it was somewhat less expensive than the Chunnel train. (1)We decided the multiple transfers and luggage "lugging" were not worth it. (2) We found that prices for Aerostar vary depending where you buy them. Prices were lower on RailEurope's website. We paid $340 for 2 1st class. First stop for the Aerostar in UK is Ashford. Buy your ticket to there; no need to go to London. Ashford is about 20 minutes to Dover by limo. We found Central Executive Travel was cheapest limo service and very reliable (http://www.central-taxis.com). 35 GBP for 2 for VW station wagon. We took a 9:10 am train from Paris Gare Nord. Only a 2-hour ride (But you arrive at 10:09 due to time zone difference). So if you don't need to see Dover, spend another night in Paris. You'll have plenty of time to board.

Steve

Archived