Kongernes Jelling (Royal Jelling)

I have searched the forums and found no information on this place.

I am traveling to Copenhagen in late July 2015 with several history buffs. One of the things that appeals strongly to a travel companion is Viking history (being a descendant herself). I have found that Kongernes Jelling looks very interesting, but very far from Copenhagen. I noticed it passes through Funen. Would adding the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Christian Andersen museum, and Egeskov Slot on to the trip make sense? (So that we weren't wasting a full day on just a few (albeit really awesome) stones. I noticed that Roskild is also on the way out there. Would adding Roskild Cathedral and the Viking Ship Museum make sense?

How would you do this trip? Does a train work or would we need to rent a car? Any other pieces of Viking history closer to Copenhagen?:confused:

Thanks!!

We will be in Fredericia early June, how far away is Trelleborg from there? We plan on renting a car for the day. Thanks, Prish

Trelleborg is 120 Km from Fredricia - Two hours drive by car, however you need to cross the Great Belt Bridge - toll road DKK 235 one way - DKK 470 in total.

I have searched the forums and found no information on this place.

I am traveling to Copenhagen in late July 2015 with several history buffs. One of the things that appeals strongly to a travel companion is Viking history (being a descendant herself). I have found that Kongernes Jelling looks very interesting, but very far from Copenhagen. I noticed it passes through Funen. Would adding the birthplace of Hans Christian Andersen, Hans Christian Andersen museum, and Egeskov Slot on to the trip make sense? (So that we weren't wasting a full day on just a few (albeit really awesome) stones. I noticed that Roskild is also on the way out there. Would adding Roskild Cathedral and the Viking Ship Museum make sense?

How would you do this trip? Does a train work or would we need to rent a car? Any other pieces of Viking history closer to Copenhagen?:confused:

Thanks!!

I'll recommend Roskilde Cathedral and the Viking Ship Museum - you can make Roskilde by train from Østerport in 35 minutes.

Trelleborg is 120 Km from Fredricia - Two hours drive by car, however you need to cross the Great Belt Bridge - toll road DKK 235 one way - DKK 470 in total.

Thanks hallasm, but 2 hiurs each way might be a lot, especially since we'd have been in Berlin the previous day:D. I was told about the jelling mounds and runic stones closer to Fredericia, a 40 min drive I think, but maybe this is a different one, see the link below.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g226904-d319621-Reviews-Jelling_Mounds_Runic_Stones_and_Church-Vejle_Vejle_Municipality_South_Jutland_Jutl.html

Thanks hallasm, but 2 hiurs each way might be a lot, especially since we'd have been in Berlin the previous day:D. I was told about the jelling mounds and runic stones closer to Fredericia, a 40 min drive I think, but maybe this is a different one, see the link below.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g226904-d319621-Reviews-Jelling_Mounds_Runic_Stones_and_Church-Vejle_Vejle_Municipality_South_Jutland_Jutl.html

Jellinge and Trelleborg is two different locations. Jelling is much closer - but not more than two stones.

I might come up with other ideas.

We will be in Fredericia early June, how far away is Trelleborg from there? We plan on renting a car for the day. Thanks, Prish

Hi Prish I used google map and put in the port and then where the Jelling Mounds and Runic stones are it was approx. 40min drive. We have rented a car and requested they have the car at the port for us.

Jellinge and Trelleborg is two different locations. Jelling is much closer - but not more than two stones.

I might come up with other ideas.

Thanks hallasm, we'll probably just go to Jellinge and Egeskov castle, also check out the old town and walls in Fredericia.

Chessybear, am still wiating for Sixt to get back with a quote for a vehicle to seat the seven of us, maybe I need to call them.