Seattle seafood and Asian restaurants

C-breeze

We will be in Seattle 2 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise. We are looking for good seafood and Asian restaurants for dinner. We love trying different foods and are somewhat adventurous. We love Chinese, Thai, Korean, but not so much Japanese foods. Don't want to break the bank, but will be glad to do one night with something more expensive up to $100-$150 pp or so. We will not have a car and are staying at the Grand Hyatt pre-cruise and the Sheraton post cruise.

Looking forward to spending time in Seattle.

I'm sure you will get lots of advice here, from local Seattle folks, but this Midwesterner heads for Anthony's on the waterfront. Our Alaska cruises seem to fit in the window of opportunity for Copper River Salmon being "in town". It is a treat for us to sit outside by the marina and enjoy the alder planked salmon the night before our cruise!:D

This is like asking who your favorite child is, but I'll just start with a couple and others will go on from there.

Asian, downtown. Two places come to mind, one Vietnamese and the other Korean-sort-of. Note many Asian restaurants are clustered in the International District rather than strictly downtown - this would involve a very short and cheap cab ride, or else a rather lengthy and hilly walk. But right downtown look at -

Long Provincial

Chan

Long is an offshoot of a terrific Vietnamese restaurant in the "I.D.," Tamarind Tree, but very nice and quite sleek. Chan is a hard-to-find place in the Pike Place market area (hint, directly under the Inn at the Market) with an eclectic menu. Highly recommended.

As for seafood, frankly, any restaurant in Seattle that doesn't sell excellent fish and seafood has a very brief lifespan. "Best" is a recurrent and never-answered question around here, because there's such variety.

Our favorite is Elliott's Oyster House, located right in the middle of the touristy schlunk on the central waterfront, but with a killer menu, amazing specials and the biggest list of oysters in town. HOWEVER, this winter and into the spring Elliott's is closed while the waterfront seawall is being replaced. It reopens in late June, so if your cruise is before then, say so and other places can be recommended instead.

Regardless, your "splurge" budget it unlikely to be reached unless you really hit the wine list. Seattle has so many affordable Asian and seafood restaurants that not only quality and variety, but also price are big competitive factors.

And of course, fish and Asian go together, with many places offering the best of both worlds.

One other place to stop is Uwajimaya, Seattle's iconic pan-Asian grocery and department store, a tourist destination on its own, and with a very fun (and cheap) food court right in the store. Some of the best fish, snacks, produce and weird things available in town are there.

Seattle has at least one Thai restaurant on almost every commercial block--I think it's a local ordinance or something. If you're a true Thai food expert or a Thai native, you would probably like a few more than the others, but to be honest, I haven't found many I didn't like.

In the International District, a lot of people say that Seven Star Pepper Szechwan's Szechwan Crab is the best Dungeness crab dish in town. They don't have it every night--call ahead and check. The hand-shaved dan dan noodles are also wonderful