Poipu Beach, Kauai

dfhnis

When we were there in Aug Poipu beach had very strong currents..... was very hard to snorkel...Lydgate Park Beach was great for snorkeling...especially if you have small children....they have a very large area which is enclosed by lava rocks....there were lots of fish and other sea creatures.....they also have a great playground for the kids....

Best beach depends on what you want :) I think Poipu gets so much attention mainly because it's in the most developed/touristy part of the island, so it has the amenities nearby and is close to where most travelers stay. If you want the most stunning beach, or the most deserted beach, or the best snorkeling beach, etc. it's probably not going to be the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of Poipu beach is rocks. I like the beaches on the other sides much better. Poipu just gets good press. Problem is, all the beaches are great and it is hard to pick the best.

BTW Kauai is not a tender port. You will dock there.

Which beach has the best facilities for a cruiser..i.e. lounges, umbrellas, bathrooms etc?

I'm sorry to tell you that unlike many other places (such as the Caribbean), there are virtually no beaches in Hawaii that have lounge or umbrella rentals for the general public. You will see tons of umbrellas, lounges, and mini-cabanas on the beaches in front of resorts. These are for use by the resort guests only. (All beaches in Hawaii are public, but the "stuff" owned by the resorts that is on the beach is not.)

At public beach parks, it's pretty much bring your own everything--including food and beverages. There aren't food stands or restaurants on the beach--or that is we've not seen any--there are often shave ice or snack carts nearby; resorts that front the beaches usually have restaurants and such, but you have to go into the resort to access them. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed on the beach at any time (they've really been cracking down on this lately).

On Kauai, Ke'e, the beach in front of the Princeville resort, Lydgate, Poipu/Brennecke (next to Poipu) all have at least some facilities (restrooms,etc.). Poipu and Lydgate particularly. I'm sure there are many others, but those are the those we've been to and know about. Pretty much any swimming/sunning/snorkeling beach that fronts a resort will have access to restrooms and outdoor rinse showers.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.:)

beachchick

Most of Poipu beach is rocks. I like the beaches on the other sides much better. Poipu just gets good press. Problem is, all the beaches are great and it is hard to pick the best.

I must be thinking of Poipu Beach Park. The pictures I have seen show plenty of sand and it even has a neat feature where a sand bar emerges as the tide goes out. Has anyone else seen this?

Yes I have been to the sandbar....With my snorkeling equipment and fins it was an easy swim...Hung out there for a while..but the swim back was tough....The tide was coming in and the currents were extremely strong.....took a lot of work to get back and not drift too far away....The rocks are large in some places and the strong current made it an adventure for sure....I was with my 13 yr old and we made it back fine...exhausted but fine!

My husband and I spent the day here, it is just great, the snorkling is wonderful, and you are protected from the rough water, we love it so much that we are going there for the day (Jan 2006 Summit) renting a car and heading for Poipu Beach Park, be careful got really good sunburn that day

hopes this helps

Plumeria

Thank you, Beachchick, for the information. On our honeymoon (many moons ago!) we stayed at the Poipu Sheraton. I wonder if we could use their beach.Does anyone "just go" to a hotel beach? Does anyone pay to use a hotel beach? Actually, it would be fun for us if we could revisit our honeymoon hotels.

Glad I could help, babylene. Sorry it wasn't the answer you were hoping for though.

In answer to your new question, yes anyone and everyone does use the beaches in front of resorts. All beaches, every single one, in Hawaii are public access. So, although the umbrellas, lounges, cabanas, and such on the beaches in front of resorts do belong to the resort and are only for resort guests, the beach itself is open to all--at no charge. However, if you have a car and the only convenient parking is at the resort, you either have to pay or park elsewhere (some parking at resorts is for guests only). You could take your $2 straw mat and towel and plop it right between two cabanas in front of the Four Seasons. Some guests occassionally try to make non-guests feel like they are invading a "private" beach, but we've had that happen very, very rarely, and a little reminder is all it takes. Mostly, people on the beaches in Hawaii have been wonderful.

beachchick

Archived