Disembarkation at Piraeus - timing?

alpha58

Hi all,

We will be on the Celebrity Equinox in June, and will finish our cruise at Piraeus Port on June 13 (Saturday). The ship is scheduled to dock at 6:00 am. We want to take a half day taxi tour before going to our hotel in Athens later that day. What would be a reasonable time to have our driver meet us? is 8:00 am too early/optimistic?

This is our first Med cruise. All other cruises, with Princess and Celebrity, have been out of Fort Lauderdale. I know the disembarkation process is based on those with early flights off first, etc. I don't recall any of them taking longer than about 3 hours, usually less.

Any help from experienced cruisers is welcome!

Val

We disembarked at Piraeus on a cruise, but it was so long ago I don't remember much about it. We were also going to a hotel to stay over for a night, so the timing wasn't critical for us. I would think, however, that certainly by 8 you would be allowed off the ship. I've cruised on Celebrity twice before (although Summit, one of the smaller ships) and both times they offered a walk off the ship on your own type of option for disembarking, and I think you could get off pretty early doing that. However, I think you have to tote your own luggage off the ship and into the terminal if you do that.

I don't think you can go wrong with having someone pick you up at 8. You could probably get away with 7:30 if you wanted! When we request disembarkation times, we usually ask to disembark 15 minutes earlier than when we plan to meet anyone. That's because it usually takes a little while to find our luggage in the terminal or on the pier, and there is also sometimes a short passport check when you leave the terminal in European ports. I don't remember if that applies to Piraeus, but perhaps someone who has been there recently can give you more information. We've never waited more than 10 minutes in a line, however, so it's no big deal - at least for the cruise line we normally use (Oceania, a little bit smaller ships than Celebrity, so perhaps a little bit faster to disembark than Celebrity.)