Transferring a Reservation from X to TA, any other impact?

thebigcruiseguy

As a first time cruiser, I booked our itinerary via Celebrity direct. After doing additional research, I've discovered the potential for additional benefits by booking through a TA. IF we decide to transfer it over, is there any other impact that we should consider other than having to coordinate everything through the TA going forward? I want to make sure the reservation remains the same otherwise.

Secondly, the TA is telling me that everything on the reservation stays the same: price, stateroom, inclusions, deposit etc. Is this the case?

Finally, I'm told by the TA that their proprietary inclusions (eg. add'l OBC) ARE combinable w/ what Celebrity has already given us. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Everything you mentioned the TA told you is true. An added benefit is that the OBC from the TA is refundable if you do not use it - goes back on your credit card. The OBC from Celebrity either you have to use it or lose it. The Celebrity OBC is used first so you don't have to worry which one you are using.

Yes, it's true. We do it all the time now and we've even skipped booking through Celebrity and just book directly with our on-line TA.

Not only does the TA give us the current Celebrity perks/offers/deals but they also throw in more, usually in the form of OBC.

You will have the same reservation number that Celebrity gave you and you will do your own checking in on the Celebrity website. If you find that your cruise goes down in price before your final payment, you'll have to go through your TA to see whether or not you're getting a good deal because sometimes you lose benefits. Best deal is if the cruise goes down in price NOT due to any sale or special. Then you're likely going to retain everything. After final payment, just don't look at the prices because you don't want to see them go down :eek: and not be able to do anything about it.

We were kind of late to the TA party but I'm glad we came on board. ;)

Thanks, that's helpful info.

After final payment, what happens if the price drops- will Celebrity let you move up in category then (since they wouldn't honor a price drop post payment)? If so, would it be applicable to a TA reservation or is this only something Celebrity would do in a direct capacity?

We were looking at a TA before booking direct with Celebrity. The TA wanted final payment a month before Celebrity did, also as past passengers we only had to pay half the deposit where the TA wanted the normal deposit which was twice as much. I also think the TA charged their own cancellation fee if you cancelled before final payment date.

After final payment, what happens if the price drops- will Celebrity let you move up in category then (since they wouldn't honor a price drop post payment)? If so, would it be applicable to a TA reservation or is this only something Celebrity would do in a direct capacity?

Check the TA's policy up front as to whether or not they charge an extra fee for processing a change or a cancellation.

You can still get price drops and category changes, but the TA has to get them for you as you are no longer able to make changes or payments yourself. All your price and payment information disappears from your reservation in your Celebrity account as soon as you transfer the reservation to a TA.

Different TAs have different policies.

Also find out whether there is someone else at the travel agency who can take your call and help you when your regular TA is not available, or if you will just need to leave a message and wait until your regular TA is available to get back to you.

That can make a big difference in whether or not you are able to get a price drop or move up a category or make other changes that may be time critical.

Edited by fleckle

After final payment the cruise line can do anything they want with pricing and they won't honor those price drops for anyone who has already made their final payment. Celebrity would probably contact previous passengers first then new passengers and at that probably would want some more money for their upgrade offer.

If we are close to sailing, I usually use a TA for the extra OBC, etc. If, however, we book 6 months or more prior to sailing, I leave my reservation with Celebrity so that I can immediately take advantage of price drops or change my stateroom if a better cabin becomes available.

When wanting to make a change, from Saturday night until Monday morning can seem like a long time and you can definitely miss an opportunity to take advantage of a special, etc.

Also, the online TA that I use charges a $50 cancellation fee so be sure that you check.

thebigcruiseguy,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I hope you have also joined the Roll Call for your sailing. You can use this tool to meet others on your cruise and plan excursions.

You can easily transfer your booking to a travel agent but it must be within 60 days of initial reservation. There are a few easy steps that you must go through in order to transfer your booking and a good travel agent can walk you through the steps.

Before final payment you may notice a price decrease but any of the Celebrity perks may not be available for you. Read the fine print as it seems a majority of perks are only available for first time bookings. In some cases you can cancel and rebook but not always.

After final payment if there are price drops you MIGHT be able to upgrade. With so many cruises heavily booked in certain categories availability is limited.

You didn't mention which category you have booked but some offers are not available for inside cabins.

We hope you enjoy your first cruise and do let the fellow passengers on your sailing via the Roll Call make it special.