Cove balcony vs. Spa balcony Whats included?

Dukesmith95

I'm looking at a 2016 cruise on the dream and seen that there is only a $300 or so total price difference between a cove balcony and a spa balcony for my family of four. Is it worth the $300 and if so, what is included in the spa balcony package?

When you are booked in a spa room, the 1st 2 adults from the room get access to the thermal suite (fancy saunas: 4 rooms of varying scents & temperatures), & the T-pool (fancy hot tub with special water). Those are the main things. The other things are not that significant: 2 free classes (limited options & times: we didn't bother), gigantic slippers (made for Andre the Giant), super tiny samples of a couple hygiene products (gone in 1 use), different color towels, & different decor. I really enjoyed the thermal suite & T-pool. It was worth the extra $100 in total to go from our typical cheap room to a spa interior. The 3rd & 4th persons, & anyone under 18, doesn't get the special access to the thermal suite or T-pool, unless they purchase a pass.

You can purchase a weekly pass for the spa for $249 per 2 people, or $149 a person, on 7-day cruises. So with that in mind, you could get a cove balcony & buy the pass & come out cheaper. If you book the spa balcony, then you are actually paying an extra $51 in order to be closer to the spa, & to get some of those more insignificant things that you wouldn't have with a cove. If only 1 of you is interested in the spa, then you might as well get a cove & pay the $149 for a 1-person pass.

I personally love how the cove puts you so close to the water. I would much rather have that as opposed to being way up high, as long as you can get a cove that is not under the galley. Stay forward of the midship elevators for a cove, and you'll be fine. Under the dining room is best. That area on deck 2 is my favorite spot on the entire ship.

Edited by k2excursion

We initially were going to go this route, we booked a cove to be near the water, under the MDR and not the galley. Then we were planning to buy a Spa pass for both of us. This is an 8 day cruise so the cost is more than $250, I think its closer to 300. After several price drops the difference was no longer an issue.

Ultimately I posted this thread,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2096978

and I got the answers that made me decide to go ahead and upgrade, mostly for these answers..."Convenience sake" and "Puts you right there"

that said I would love a cove and being that close to the water but this upcoming cruise is a celebration and I don't feel like tromping up 11 decks (or waiting on an elevator) to use the SPA, felt I would use it more if I had only a deck or two to get to it.

Also unless you buy the pass early in the cruise, they can and do sell out.

The spa balcony rooms have such a fantastic view! The coves seem very confined to me due to the lifeboats overhead. Granted, being close to the water is appealing but being able to see everything is much preferred by my family of 4.