Anybody want to do 20 lbs by end of Dec? :)

Peppahmint

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Kim...oh, to be 133!!! I would be soooooo happy. I'm am 5'10" and haven't seen that since just after college. How are you losing the inches? Needless to say I have lost inches, but need to lose more...and firm up.

For the women on here...has anyone tried Curves for working out? I called our location today. It's a little pricey, but it could be an added work out with other people. Maybe it would be worth a month to month membership?

Daniel...another Pudue person! I am in extension, but not one of 'the' educators. I'm a licensed teacher hired to write programs and take them into the elementary schools. I am paid by the county, but report to Purdue. (Hope you don't have to report in SAM to Purdue.) Any way, I don't know if I can sign up in more than one group with America on the Move, but will see. I can use all of the group support I can get.

Hooray daniel! :D I weigh in tonight, so I'll post tomorrow!

Karen - First please note - I've never been to Curves, but from what I've read here & elsewhere (Prevention Magazine, etc.) for Curves to really "work" as a weight loss tool, you really need to do more than the 30 min/3x week they recommend. A plus for Curves is that it is only women. I belong to Gold's (& a different gym before) & I really like the variety offered in classes & machines that Curves does not seem to offer. Check out Curves, but check out a "regular" gym in your area (as well as the "Y") before you plunk down any $$. Some gyms (& the "Y") have pool access, which can be a great addition to anyone's workout.

Check out some of the other threads - I think there's discussion of Curves elsewhere here.

Good luck!

Sha

Karen what I'm doing is walking. I haven't really done anything for my stomach area. We also use a rebounder. We have are own work out place is in hangar. We have a tread mill, weight machine, nordic track and bike. I have never been to a gym other then one that was provided through my job. It was at a hospital so I didn't pay for it. I only used it a few times. It was nice, but to far away from where I lived.

What we have been doing lately is walking an hour and doing the rebounder. I plan on doing stomach exercises when I lose some more inches.

My husband and I started eating all organic foods. That has helped alot. But we still have to watch the amount we eat. Ken and I went up a few pounds this week. So we will be cutting back on what we eat.

Daniel glad you lost those 2 pounds! Sounds like you are doing good.

Sha look forward to hearing how your weight is doing.

Kim

Kim - one thing that I've been reminded of recently is that a strong "core" (abs - upper & lower, lower back, glutes, etc) can be very important to your overall fitness level & strength. It has nothing to do with six-pack abs, "spot-reducing" or doing 100 "crunches" a day. When your core is strong, everything else you do is easier & better. I recommend you don't put off doing core strengthening exercises until you've "lost more inches". (And it may help you lose inches!) I find that since I've been focusing on my core - I do ALL exercises - including walking & ellipse, etc - with better "form".

And I am SO jealous that you have all that room to have exercise equipment!:p

Sha

LOL We have to have some where to put the plane :p. The exercise equipment is old though, the only thing new is the bike. But it works all the same.

If you look at the picture I have next to my sceen name. Thats our house behind us and the plane. Well thats the hangar door.

Kim

As long as it works, who cares how old the equipment is? Results are what is important! I'm not someone who goes for all the new bells & whistles on things just because they are available. (Ex - I am very annoyed that I am soon going to have to trade in my old "plain" cell phone for a newer model that is not as easy to use, because it has way too many "options"! Bleah!!:p )

BTW - Cooooool plane!

Sha

Yay DanB! Woohoo!!

I weigh in at 5:30 today & I know it's all in my mind, but the closer I get to the weigh in time, the "fatter" I feel! :p

I felt positively skinny yesterday in a pair of "slightly too big" jeans that I couldn't get into at the beginning of the summer. Today I'm wearing a better-fitting pair of slacks (& lighter weight, so they won't weigh down the scale! :rolleyes: ) so I don't feel quite so slim.

Well - sticking to my 2 "new resolutions" seems to have paid off - I've got a loss of 3.25 lbs for the last 2 weeks! I really have tried hard to eat less at supper & work out (or at least be WAY more active) on the weekends.

This weekend, I hope to get in one last bike ride before the weather stays cold. (I don't like biking if I have to wear too many clothes, so when the weather stays under 60, it's too cold for me to bike.)

This loss brings me to 5lbs toward my pledge of 20 for the end of Dec. Now that I'm back on track, I may actually make the goal! I'd have to lose 2lbs/wk, with Thanksgiving & Christmas in there too! Ambitious, yes. But if I aim high (aim low?:rolleyes:) I'm at least more likely to keep losing over the holidays, even if I don't lose big.

One day at a time!

Sha

Congrats to everyone ... Sha, Dan, Kim, IndianaCruiser....on their losses!!! You are all very inspirational.

I seem to be at one of those nasty plateaus (sp?), but at least I am holding steady. I am meeting my daughter at Ball State tomorrow and heading for a night in Indy...hopefully she will walk me enough shopping that I balance the extras I will be eating. (I sound like I should be barking. :p ) I get to shop though...can't believe I'm telling this, but I'm excited...I have gone from a 20W to a 14 (it's not a pretty 14, but it IS a 14)....I NEED new clothes desperately!!! Can't wait to shop! I just need to be careful, I don't plan to be a 14 too long.

Thanks to all for the responses about Curves and working out. I am not hearing such great things about their workout from others around here. We do have a Ladies Only, which has both the pool and gym. It might be my better choice as I can do the equipment and continue my deep water circuit program in their pool, since my deep water program is only 2x per week. BTW...we did do a deep water exercise yesterday that is to help the sagging lower belly, you know...the jelly area. I could use doing that for an hour or two EVERY day. :eek: Any more suggestions would be great.

Kudos2fly...what is a rebounder?

Karen - You'll find that your 14 is a lot "prettier" when you're wearing the right size clothes! Have fun shopping - and try on EVERYTHING! Even if you think it's not "you". You might be pleasantly surprised! And buy 1 or 2 things that are a bit snug. I did this at the beginning of the summer with 2 prs of pants because they were petites, on sale. (I'm 5'2" & have always had a hard time with pants.) I'm wearing a pair now, & they're actually a bit big! It's a great morale boost!

Oh - & I vote for the gym with the pool!

Sha

Hello everyone,

I'm down to 130.5 now :D. I'm happy about that. I even went non-organic foods on Sat. and had 4 glass of wine :o. Which was a bit much but was having fun. Our fly-in went off great. We had 120 planes that few in and about 300 people. That was great since the lasted two times it was rain out. It was nice to have a great day.

Karen it's a trampoline, I think its also called a rebounder. I just found that out.

Kim

Yay Kim! Glad your party was a great time!

Dan - Structure is good! WW is great for people who stick with it! Except for the woman I know who couldn't figure out why she was so hungry all the time, when she kept using so many of her points for snack-type foods, instead of "real" food.:rolleyes:

Sha

Sha,

I guess that doesn't help when you keep eating "junk" instead of real food. :confused: Gee I wounder why she was frustrated. But that can happen when you get carried away. That happen with us on the low cab diet.

Even with eating organic foods, you still have to "watch" the amount you.

By the way everyone I only have 10.5 pounds to lose. I still may make the date at the end of Dec. of losing my 20 pounds.

Kim

To all....I had a great weekend with my daughter, but shopping was not good. We really didn't find anything, so we'll try Chicago at Thanksgiving. I'm a terrible shopper, but the advice to try some things that I am not too sure about is good. Sizes changes and so do minds. I am used to 'covering up'. It's also hard to shop with a 20 year old who is 5'10" and wears a 7/8 or 9/10.....NOTHING looks good on me when I am beside of her. I'm off for Vet's Day, so will be checking out the gym with the pool then. I think it will be much better than considering Curves. I checked out the Curves thread and it is very mixed I thought.

Thanks for explaining the rebounder. Good job Kim, sounds like you are in good shape to make your goal.

Dan .... good luck with WW. I have a few friends using it, hopefully it will work for you like it has them. They all needed someone to stay on them and seem to get that with their weekly visits. In between, report to us....we'll keep you going from this end. :D

Weigh to go Daniel! Another milestone! :D

Karen - When you go shopping with a "skinny" person you need to not let them be in the mirror with you! :eek: I know that sounds silly! But you're obviously comparing yourself to her, rather than seeing how the outfit fits YOU! Tell your DD how you feel & tell her you know it's silly, but since you aren't as this as her YET.... Also, maybe you can go on a shopping trip sometime that's just about you? Where she isn't trying on clothes for herself?

Sha

Hi, all

Good job on the loss, Daniel.

My official WW starting weight is 263 - that's quite a bitmore than my home scale registered, but I suppose that it is all relative.

I like the program and have been following it without too much effort. My weigh-in is Monday, so we'll see. I'm following the Core Program, which essentially limits you to low fat meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and heart-healthy oils but severely limits any type of processed foods, breads, and other fats. There are no limits on the approved foods, but the emphasis is on learning to read your comfort zone - - you shouldn't let yourself get either too hungry or too full There is no requirement to measure or track the food, and that is a big part of the appeal for me. The best news is that, so far, I have not been plagued by the night-time binges that have hampered me up to now.

Weigh-in is next Tuesday - - we'll see.

Be well, everyone

Archived