Drinks package supplements upgrade

Sorry but I can't remember the exact figure but in the cruise news Thomson were offering to upgrade the drinks package you may of have already paid a ridiculous amount for by another staggering amount per person to avoid the drinks supplements, I think that if let am buying a drinks package, it should be be for drinks that we like, but too, put supplements on bog standard shorts like Bells and metaxa brandy is taking the mickle.

OK, lovely can understand that certain clients who are verging on alcoholism will get there monies worth if paying full price, but for the majority of decent clients who just drink moderately,it's not worth it! Therefore we didn't bother with it and our final bill was nowhere near the cost of the basic package! :)

We only bother with the drinks package if it is free or £10 per person per day as there is no way we would drink enough to warrant the dear package. We paid £280 for the package on the Dream in the Caribbean as Thomson's made an error and honoured it and we managed to enjoy plenty without needing to pay any supplements. It would be against the grain to make an additional charge to everyone who purchased a package in order to get rid of supplements as we don't all need supplemented drinks.

I agree with Gill. Our bar bill is always way under the full amount Thomson charge for the drinks package, but we don't drink spirits only wine and beer, so we would only have it if it is free or cheaper.

Mind you, as has been said many times, it's not really free is it, as when the free drinks package for early bookers comes off, the price of the holiday goes down:rolleyes:

The idea of an extra charge package for premium drinks is not new. I think some of the American lines do this and they also do it on Island Escape.

payg bar prices are reasonable imo and they have cheaper daily specials

our bar bill is never anywhere near the price they want for the ai (about half) and we dont really stint, we manage get thru a few bottles of prosecco/pinot & plenty of beers/martinis

We have a drinks package for our seven night cruise this year and have paid £140 for the seven nights which seems really good value, has anyone else paid thus amount and can you please tell me what is included for this price?

I think people who moan about Thomson drinks package prices really need to look at other Cruise Line Prices. We,re paying £140 for both of us for the week in September. The Drinks package on RCI Indy last year was £450 for the week. Plus we had to pay 12 dollars a day Gratuities. The last 3 Thomson Cruises we have been on we got it free booking early. Even if you pay as you go they are still loads cheaper than other Cruise lines.

We have always had all inclusive drinks package and it includes just about everything. The wine is only house wine but it is always ok. Cocktails, spirits, beer, there is lots of choice, we have always had premium brands too. Some drinks you may have to pay a little supplement eg Kopaberg Cider, Guiness etc, but its not a lot. Last time we went the barman was making cocktails up for us to try that were not even on the menu, he made me Tia Maria and orange juice which I love, they are very accommodating and always serve you with a smile which is priceless. There are several links on here if you look through of bar menus that people have posted on.

I think people who moan about Thomson drinks package prices really need to look at other Cruise Line Prices. We,re paying £140 for both of us for the week in September. The Drinks package on RCI Indy last year was £450 for the week. Plus we had to pay 12 dollars a day Gratuities. The last 3 Thomson Cruises we have been on we got it free booking early. Even if you pay as you go they are still loads cheaper than other Cruise lines.

It's okay if free or reduced, but at over £200 per person it's just not worth it imo, also to put an additional charge on top to avoid supplements is laughable, it would of been about £1200 in total for the two weeks, now if you think this is value for money and are willing to pay it, that's your choice.

I agree. When we went on the Celebrity Eclipse, I was advised to get a drinks package, but when I looked at the prices, I was amazed at how much they wanted! Mind you, the cheapest bottle of wine is around £28 on Celebrity compared to around £12 on Thomson and that is the point. The drinks are cheaper on Thomson, so probably not worth getting the package unless you drink a lot of spirits and cocktails (which we don't):)

I really hope this isn't the start of Thomson significantly cutting back the DP like they did when they first took over Dream. Its now £70pp to upgrade to a DP once onboard with the supplemented drinks included.

I can see them removing all branded drinks from the DP, keeping it the same price and then offering the £70 upgrade. I certainly hope I'm wrong, or that if they do so they would reduce an unbranded DP to a price similar to that charged by Fred.

Unless of course some of the ships go completely AI now that Island Cruises is to be no more...!

I would not mind if they got rid of drinks packages. When i was on the Dream the only light, airy bar was the Medusa lounge. However you could not get near the bar because two croups of cruisers had done a 'sun lounger' and hijacked the bar for the entire cruise. They then proceded to pour vast quantities of alcohol down their throats. A bacardi and coke that kept getting topped up with Bacardi until there was no coke left, just the half pint of rum. Obviously alcoholics. It was sad that the bar staff were quite happy about it.