Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

salami

We have booked our cruise out of FLL on 18 Dec. We are arriving from London on the 15th December and wondering where best to stay (myself and two teenagers, 15 and 18). South Beach (?) or go straight to Fort Lauderdale, may be a beach hotel. Should it be warm at this time. Also like to go to shopping mall. Didn't like Miami when I stayed at Sheraton Biscayne Bay and took v. expensive taxi to a Mall and was ripped off on the return journey. How do get from MIA airport (without renting a car) to Fort L. Thank you all!:)

Well, first of all, this information that I'm giving you now may not be exactly accurate by the time December comes around, but let's give it a whirl!

Because there are three of you, I would recommend renting a car. It would be the least expensive way for you to travel to Ft. Lauderdale. I would investigate BUDGET car rental as they have a very convenient drop off spot right on the main drag(17th Street). You could rent the car for say $22.00, drive to your hotel, drop off your luggage, drive the car over to the drop off point and then have a nice lunch within walking distance somewhere along 17th street. While having lunch and depending on the weather you can make a plan for your next activity.

The next option would be a taxi and probably the easiest. Currently the simple drive is approximately 40 to 50 minutes depending on traffic and the fare ranges between $65.00 & $75.00 without tip. With the gas prices as they are now it is difficult to say what the fare might be in December. I would certainly expect it to rise, that's why I believe the rental car would be a much less expensive alternative.

There are many beautiful and large shopping opportunities in Ft. Lauderdale within a close proximity to the hotels. Not walking distance, but a short cab ride.

The hotels in Ft. Lauderdale in general are more expensive than Miami, but slightly cheaper than South Beach. In all my holidays I have not yet ventured to South Beach. I have heard both good and bad stories about the different areas there so I can't help with your decision there. My stays have always been in Ft. Lauderdale because of the options available that I enjoy. There are Soooo many restaurants, there is Las Olas Blvd. for strolling and shopping, there is the river walk, there is Beach Place and the beach, there is the Water Taxi and there is shopping at the malls if the weather is not so fair.

I stay at hotels that I win on PRICELINE. I am not sure if that is available to you. Just as an example, next week I will be staying on the beach at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper for a total of $65.00 per night. In December, I will be staying at the Bahia Mar Resort Hotel for a total of $87.00 per night which is very close to the beach and in April I will be staying at thr Rennaisance Hotel on 17th Street for a total of $95.00 per night.

One way to get around once in Ft. Lauderdale that we have learned to enjoy has been hopping a bus for $1.00 per person. They go to so many locations and are certainly cheaper than taking taxi's all the time.

I just love all the opportunities that are available in Ft. Lauderdale as opposed to the other areas, but everyone is different and they have there own likes and dislikes.

In all my experiences in December over the last five years while cruising out of Florida, I have always had pleasant weather in at least the high 70's to upper 80's and mostly all days with sunny skies.

I hope some of my rambling has been helpful. I wish you luck in your decision.

Jonathan:)

Archived