Spring Break on the Elation

rohitg82

So this is the first cruise for my lovely DW and I. Like most first time cruisers, we had a bazillion questions while we decided to book a cruise, but eventually it narrowed down around the following conditions:-

1. Not super expensive

2. Must fit in during spring break (as DW is a middle school teacher, so the trip had to accommodate her schedule)

3. Given we live in North TX area, we had to either drive down / fly to one of the ports, so cost of that

4. Ship culture (we're a fairly relaxed couple, not uptight at all, like to mingle with people from different walks of life, and we love a laugh riot!!)

5. 5-6 days length, so we had enough time to get back home and unwind before heading to work again

Having considered all of the above, we chose Carnival Elation because:-

1. Very competitive pricing, high on entertainment/fun value

2. Fairly inexpensive flights to NOLA (approx 400$ return for both of us)

3. A known ship, and fairly good for newbie cruisers like us

4. Good mix of beach (Cozumel) and excursion (Progreso)

We have booked the following for shore activity:-

1. All inclusive at Mr Sanchos

2. Autoprogreso trip to Dzilbilchaltun

We got hold of a waterproof camera to capture some basic underwater activity (snorkeling etc), tested it at home and seems to work well. Actual results will come in once we click some pics from our visit. I have a nice DSLR to capture the remainder of the holiday.

So we are all set, hoping the weather will be good throughout and cant wait to get onboard the Elation.

Given there are so many first time cruisers like me around, I thought it would be great to post how things go day-by-day.

So watch out this section for a more day-by-day account in the next few days.. :)

Our Spring Break isn't until the end of the month but we will be on Elation then. We are taking our daughter and her family and son and his family. This will be our daughter's 3rd cruise and son's first. Grandkids ages are 3, 6, 8 and 12 and they are all sooo excited!!! We have been on Elation several times and I think you made a great choice! Good Luck and Have Fun!!!!

Me too! School cancelled today and school let out at 11:30 yesterday, so spring break has already started. I have never been on elation before but we did go on fantasy when she was in NOLA--she was our favorite so far. (Also went on conquest in NOLA didn't like her as well).

See ya saturday! I'll be the one on the green mobility scooter that looks like they don't have a thing wrong with them and I'm only 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be traveling with my 16 year old daughter on this cruise. Anyone else have teens? She's afraid she is going to be bored hanging out with the old folks.

We still have not booked any excursions...cannot decide. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

See you on board.

1 day to go!! Super excited, but very stressed coz of work as well. Cant wait to get away from the constant incoming flow of emails, conference calls, presentations, bla bla..

Will try and start posting reviews from tomorrow for a day-by-day account..

I will be traveling with my 16 year old daughter on this cruise. Anyone else have teens? She's afraid she is going to be bored hanging out with the old folks.

We still have not booked any excursions...cannot decide. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

See you on board.

I am sure there will be many teens out there.. after all its spring break time..

Suggestions on excursions:-

1. Cozumel

- Mr Sanchos

- Paradise Beach

- Nacchi Comm (for adults only)

==> we booked Mr Sanchos as its all inclusive, and after reading the zillions of reviews out there. But i am told Paradise beach is also good

2. Progreso

- Dzibil

- Chichen Itza

- Uxmal

- Spend day at the town of Merida

- Another beach day at one of the all inclusive resorts

==> We booked Dzibil through Autoprogreso; after a lot of research we've understood that Autoprogreso is by far the best vendor for excursions from Progreso. We wanted to do Chichen Itza too, but its a total 5-hour drive on a bus (hence uncomfortable, and too little time to see something peacefully), and that its run down by hoards of peddlers. Dzibil is just 30-40 min away and a much nicer and pleasant experience. They also have a nice cenote where you can take a dip at the end of the tour

Now, these are our choices after a lot of research and also coz this suits us. You're welcome to choose any of the above, but would highly recommend the ones we have chosen too.

See you tomorrow!

How to find us ==> We will be the Indian couple trying to run a laugh riot on the boat!

I am sure there will be many teens out there.. after all its spring break time..

Suggestions on excursions:-

1. Cozumel

- Mr Sanchos

- Paradise Beach

- Nacchi Comm (for adults only)

==> we booked Mr Sanchos as its all inclusive, and after reading the zillions of reviews out there. But i am told Paradise beach is also good

2. Progreso

- Dzibil

- Chichen Itza

- Uxmal

- Spend day at the town of Merida

- Another beach day at one of the all inclusive resorts

==> We booked Dzibil through Autoprogreso; after a lot of research we've understood that Autoprogreso is by far the best vendor for excursions from Progreso. We wanted to do Chichen Itza too, but its a total 5-hour drive on a bus (hence uncomfortable, and too little time to see something peacefully), and that its run down by hoards of peddlers. Dzibil is just 30-40 min away and a much nicer and pleasant experience. They also have a nice cenote where you can take a dip at the end of the tour

Now, these are our choices after a lot of research and also coz this suits us. You're welcome to choose any of the above, but would highly recommend the ones we have chosen too.

See you tomorrow!

How to find us ==> We will be the Indian couple trying to run a laugh riot on the boat!

Thanks I will be looking out for you....

2. Progreso

- Dzibil

- Chichen Itza

- Uxmal

==> We booked Dzibil through Autoprogreso; after a lot of research we've understood that Autoprogreso is by far the best vendor for excursions from Progreso.

!

Just off the Elation a few weeks ago. I booked Chichen Itza through the ship and was extremely disappointed (see my full review for details). I would use Autoprogreso and go to either Dzibil or Uxmal as they are significantly closer than Chichen Itza. The drive there is just way too far for it to be worth the while.

Edited by Indytraveler83

1 day to go!! Super excited, but very stressed coz of work as well. Cant wait to get away from the constant incoming flow of emails, conference calls, presentations, bla bla..

Will try and start posting reviews from tomorrow for a day-by-day account..

Have an amazing time and I can't wait to hear (or should I say read, lol) all about it and see pics!! I've never been on the Elation but have heard good things about it. Welcome to the addiction, you're going to love cruising!! :D

We took our college-aged offspring on a spring break cruise on the Elation a few years ago. Here are some observations that I remember that may prove useful.

1. The ship will be overrun by kids. There were close to 1,000 of them. The serenity deck was a welcome respite. It's aft, and has a great, mesmerizing view of the wake.

2. We loved Progreso. Our DW was a history major, and the Uxmal excursion was perfect. We booked the Carnival tour, it was about $10 pp more than the independent AutoProgreso tour. However our tour bus filled up faster, left earlier, and stayed at Uxmal about 1/2 hour longer, since we got there first, but both left at about the same time. The ruins are extensive and are all accessible, except for the first pyramid. There was a nice visitors center with souvenier shops, free restrooms, and a nice, authentic restaurant, and only a few vendors out in the parking lot. No commericialization once you enter the park itself. I think/heard that a lot of the ruins at Chichen Itza are closed off from 'hands-on' exploration. The drive to/from Uxmal was about 1 hr 45 min each way.

3. The USA enters Daylight Savings Time (DST) this weekend. Mexico does not do this until early April. Your ship time will likely be one hour later than Mexico time. (So when we arrived in Progreso at 7:00 AM that day, it was 6:00 AM for the locals!) So be sure you have a timepiece set to ship's time so that you don't miss returning to the boat!

Have fun!