3rd O cruise - still in love

corpkid

I think the timeout feature should be as soon as 15 minutes.

Don't know if they're already doing this, but mass uploads is another problem. I watch people around the pool and try to upload 100+ pictures to the cloud or cousin Myrtle, wherever. Get a lot of this going on at one time and it would bring most systems to its knees, let alone a satellite based one. The system needs a methodology, if it doesn't already do it, to identify these mass dumps, and manage them in a way so to do cramp the system.

LOL - So true. Our last cruise on Marina in the Baltics was so frenetic that I barely remember what/where we ate on the ship-though the Terrace was usually terrific after our long days touring. Never found time to enjoy Baristas or afternoon tea and pretty sure there was a lot to see on the ship that I missed. Hope to make up for it next time with lots of sea days.

Agree. The fantastic port intensive cruises can create a sense of must do, must see that can wear one out. We do our research and make a few choices for extensive tours, a few choices that are easy days at port and also a few days that we skip the hoopla and just enjoy the ship. Just like a good friendship, you should always leave wanting to return.

Edited by kekilia

I think the timeout feature should be as soon as 15 minutes.

Don't know if they're already doing this, but mass uploads is another problem. I watch people around the pool and try to upload 100+ pictures to the cloud or cousin Myrtle, wherever. Get a lot of this going on at one time and it would bring most systems to its knees, let alone a satellite based one. The system needs a methodology, if it doesn't already do it, to identify these mass dumps, and manage them in a way so to do cramp the system.

They have a system "kind of" - but it's poorly implemented. For example, a couple we met were desperate to pull a few small files off of their dropbox cloud storage (for their business). But it was blocked and this was day 1 of 3 at sea. Whereas I was able to access my google drive (essentially the same as dropbox) without issue. The reality here is there is this thing called "QoS" (quality of service) that has been in use for years in the networking world. You can essentially set rules about BANDWIDTH USAGE. It's very easy to implement. So you basically could set it up so that each person gets so much bandwidth based on current usage, and if someone uses too much over X time, then they get throttled down (would solve the leaving yourself connected issue). We've set this up at work for very heavy background stuff like backups, etc. - we want it to go through, but some other things have to take priority and need a spot in the queue. Geek speek. LOL