St. Thomas Magen's Bay on our own with young kids

UNDCruisers

We are sailing on the Fantasy later this month. My husband and I are having differing opinions on what to do in St. Thomas - he would actually prefer to just stay on the boat for all ports except Castaway Cay! I, however, would like to venture out. It seems simple enough to take a taxi to Magen's bay, stay as long (or short) as we like, and then head back to the ship. It is also significantly cheaper this way. We have young kids - ages 7 and 3. DH is willing to get off the ship if we do a cruise sponsored excursion. He feels this is safer and will guarantee we get back to the ship on time. He is also willing to go on our own if I feel confident in the decision (since I am the one who loves to do vacation research!)

So my questions are:

Should I be worried about safety with getting my own taxi?

Will it be easy to get a taxi back to the ship from Magen's Bay?

Should I just suck it up and pay to do the cruise sponsored transportation?

Thanks!

No safety worries with a taxi.

Plenty of taxis at the beach to take you back. If there is not one handy, the people at the refreshment stands will call one of their buddies for you.

No, IMHO you should not pay DCL's high rates for a beach day. Most DCL beach day excursions include a package of stuff that you might not want or use. You can rent anything on the beach that it part of the package.

We always plan to be back an hour before "all aboard" time. That gives us a nice buffer for traffic or whatever. There are lots of nice beaches with "services" available on St. Thomas. There is a butterfly farm within easy walking distance of the dock as well as a funicular ride to the top of the island for a great view. (again, walking distance) There is also low cost/free internet available and since it is part of the US, most cell phone plans will include service here.

Another thought is Coral World. This is a small aquarium with underwater viewing tanks (walk in, stand up), hiking trails, snack shop, touch tanks with educators....and perhaps best, it is right across the parking lot from Coki Beach. This is a nice, family friendly beach that is free. If you do Coral World, you get a wrist band that allows you to come and go all day to use their restrooms, snack bar, etc. if you go to the beach. And if there's not a taxi waiting, they'll call you one. Discount admission coupons are sometimes available at their web site and/or in the tourist magazines that are free at the port.

I don't know how long your kids are going to be happy at the beach, but you know them better than I. I know that at 5 or 6, my daughter really liked the touch tanks at Coral World.

Just thought I'd give you some other options. Magen's bay is beautiful, but not significantly different that other St. Thomas beaches.

Thanks moki'smommy! I have been following the Disney boards for a few weeks now (this is our first cruise with Disney) and I have learned so much from you! Thank you for always providing such detailed and thoughtful responses!

Thanks moki'smommy! I have been following the Disney boards for a few weeks now (this is our first cruise with Disney) and I have learned so much from you! Thank you for always providing such detailed and thoughtful responses!

Thank you so much!

The biggest thing I struggle with on the boards is whether to give a simple answer to the question asked or to share our experiences and offer other ideas.

I agree with moki. There is No reason to book a ship beach day excursion. You can almost always get a better experience with more time and more freedom cheaper by doing it yourself. This is especially easy in a port like St. Thomas, which is of course a US Territory.

We went to St. Thomas on a Carnival cruise last year and went to Meaghan's Bay on our own. There are a multitude of taxi vans just outside the port area. Just tell them where you need to go and they will direct you to a van that is going there. Do be mindful that if you are the first ones in the van there will be a little bit of a wait while they try to fill up the van before leaving. They will try to get you to sit in there and close the doors with the windows up and no A/C, if its hot, I would just wait beside the van while they wait to fill up.

MB does have an admission charge, something like $4 per person you will need to pay in cash when you get there.

To rent chairs, umbrellas, etc you just go into the shop and pay. They will give you a slip that you take to the guy outside and he will get whatever you paid for. He will not drag the chair to a spot on the beach for you, you have to do this yourself, and you also have to return the rental items back to him to get your deposit back.

There are bathrooms with changing areas and showers available, and also a bar with food and drinks. We brought some of our own liquor as well so we ordered a drink and then made our selfs a drink using the same cup and ice and continued alternating that way since the drinks are a little costly, but that way we had ice for each drink.

the beach is very nice, and since its a bay not open to the water there are no waves or current, almost as calm as sitting in a pool. We really enjoyed our day at MB. Getting a taxi back was just as easy as getting one there, so nothing to worry about with doing it all on your own. Dont spend the money for a ship excursion.

Edited by jwalk03

Thanks! Hopefully I can convince DH we should venture to beach on our own instead of with a tour ;)

I've done more research and there are so many beaches from which to choose!

Another question - we are also traveling with my parents. My mom uses a wheelchair (though can walk short distances). If my parents decide to join us on a beach day - are any St. Thomas beaches easier to access? (i.e. the shortest walk to the beach from where the taxi will drop off)

Thanks!

OK, for this, I'd strongly suggest Coki. It is parking lot, then beach. This is not a big built up beach like some are, but the taxi/wheelchair can get you right to the beach.

You didn't ask, but I had very poor success with the beach wheelchairs at Castaway. My friend can walk with braces and crutches VERY slowly, but her daughter and I convinced her that the wheelchair would be the way to go on the ship. She had past experience with other beach wheelchairs and suggested to me that it might be bad. She is tiny, and I couldn't push the thing on the sand. Maybe a young male could, but.....Also, the trams on Castaway are totally accessible. MUCH easier if you can transfer, but work either way. A standard wheelchair is fine on the paths but won't handle the sand.

Yes, there are lots of other beaches on St. Thomas. Another good one is Sapphire Beach. So many decisions.

Both Sapphire and Coki are closer to the dock than Magens and at least when we were there had no entry fee.

Are you taking a car seat with you on the ship? We're doing the DCL excursion to Magen's Bay only because of the car seat issue. I'd much rather do it on our own but can't figure it out without hauling my daughter's seat with us. I'm hoping someone has a way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you taking a car seat with you on the ship? We're doing the DCL excursion to Magen's Bay only because of the car seat issue. I'd much rather do it on our own but can't figure it out without hauling my daughter's seat with us. I'm hoping someone has a way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I don't see the issue here. I've never seen a car seat provided on transportation on a DCL excursion. So if you go in their vehicle, you are going without a car seat. What is the difference if you are in a DCL sponsored vehicle without a car seat or a private vehicle without a car seat?

Yes, in every US state a car seat is required by law in some vehicles and not in others. And there is no question that car seats save lives. I'm not against car seats and my daughter actually grew up believing that the car wouldn't start till all people were in their appropriate seats with their belts fastened. But other than politics, I've never understood why they are required in some vehicles but not in others. And where/why the lines are drawn. If you will take your child in a bus or a 16 passenger van without a car seat, why will you not take her in a taxi or a car without one provided it is not required by the government?

One point--on most of the islands, you won't be on anything resembling an expressway and car seats are not required.

From my experience of hailed St Thomas taxi's, this is very accurate:

open-air safari taxi ride

Nothing more than bench seats in the back of the vehicle. There are obviously private car hire taxi's that may on request.

I think any taxi with a properly secured baby car seat would have to be booked privately.

Even the Magical Express and DCL transfer busses do not have car seat usable attachments or even seat belts last I heard.

ex techie

DCP_1211bfin.jpg

coral-world-taxi-st-thomas-u-s-virgin-islands+1152_12857648485-tpfil02aw-13612.jpg

Edited by Ex techie

@needavacation15,

No, we are not bringing car seats with us. Since we are doing the magical express from Orlando airport to the port, we decided not to lug the car seats with us.

What type of transportation does the DCL shore excursion have? Does it have child restraints?

I, too, am all about safety (I am an engineer for a car company). But, for this trip the assumption was that car seats would not be an option.

I have stayed on St. Thomas twice with young kids and drove our rental car to Magen's bay. Well worth it, great day trip. I can't speak to the taxis there and safety. The driving is a little crazy on St. Thomas. I would probably do the excursion through the ship if it were me.

@needavacation15,

No, we are not bringing car seats with us. Since we are doing the magical express from Orlando airport to the port, we decided not to lug the car seats with us.

What type of transportation does the DCL shore excursion have? Does it have child restraints?

I, too, am all about safety (I am an engineer for a car company). But, for this trip the assumption was that car seats would not be an option.

I have been on many DCL excursions as well as many private excursions. I have never seen child safety restraints on any DCL excursion vehicle. OK, you know that the excursions are only booked thru DCL, not operated by them. I've seen all kinds of vehicles in various locations. Big tour bus, 12 passenger van things, etc. When we did Coral World on our own we rode in a taxi that looked like a car. It was not one of the open air things pictured above.

Occasionally a private taxi will have a car seat in the trunk. Wanna bet that they don't install it properly and that it may or may not be the right size for your kid? You can book private transportation in advance on line and may be able to get a car seat that way.

Maybe I'm chicken, but I would never drive in St Thomas based on what I've seen there.

Edited by moki'smommy

Yeah any ride you take on pretty much any island is going to be without a car seat. The ship excursions will not have car seats either. While I agree with the others that car seats are important and save lives, it just wont be an option unless you arange for your own rental car and request it in advance from the rental company and drive yourself.

We had a taxi van on the way to MB, but one of the open air taxis like someone else posted a picture of for the ride back to the ship. So you may end up with either variety. There are no highways, just windy roads, and you are unlikely to go any faster than about 35 mph, so I really would not worry about the car seat issue. Just ride with your child on your lap, or in a seatbelt if you have a van and they are old enough to sit on their own.

We have been twice. One we rented a taxi to the Bay and it was an easy trip. The Bay is wonderful and clear and there were lots of other kids both times we went. The second time we went, we rented a car and that was so enjoyable because we could leave when we wanted and go do other things like explore around. I would definitely recommend going to the Bay! It is beautiful. They have floats and things that can be rented there as well as food.

There is seldom a reason to pay for excursions! A guidebook will give you the info you need to have a great (and cheaper) day!!! That goes for almost everything...not just beaches!

As long as you have your watch (not your cell phone!) set to the ship's clocks, you won't miss the ship.

Edited by cb at sea

We are sailing on the Fantasy later this month. My husband and I are having differing opinions on what to do in St. Thomas - he would actually prefer to just stay on the boat for all ports except Castaway Cay! I, however, would like to venture out. It seems simple enough to take a taxi to Magen's bay, stay as long (or short) as we like, and then head back to the ship. It is also significantly cheaper this way. We have young kids - ages 7 and 3. DH is willing to get off the ship if we do a cruise sponsored excursion. He feels this is safer and will guarantee we get back to the ship on time. He is also willing to go on our own if I feel confident in the decision (since I am the one who loves to do vacation research!)

So my questions are:

Thanks!

For sure go on your own. I went with my daughter when she was 1. It was great to taxi on our own b/c we didn't have to be on a tour schedule. We left for Meghan's Bay 2 hrs after the ship's "tour." When the ship tour left it was light rain. When we went it was clear skies. The taxis are controlled, it's not like some destinations where people jump you for a cab (like some guy with a car who decides to be a cabbie for the day). Same cabs the ships use, same route there, a lot less money and on your own time.

So my questions are:

Thanks!

I don't think there is any reason to be worried. The last time we went to Megen's Bay we actually rented a car and drove ourselves. If was going to do it again I would just take a taxi. Manuring the narrow roads was a little stressful.

We have always just done do it your self excursions....from beach trips, to sailing excursions. The think to remember when you book your own is just to be aware of the time on the ship. Do it yourself excursions are much more affordable than cruise ship excursions.

If you find an excursion you want to do see if you can find a review for them on tripadvisor.

Have fun and enjoy your time on Megen's Bay.

Just got back from Fantasy cruise on 3/14. We did this beach excursion with Disney. I have a 5 year old girl. Quite a bit of ppl did it on there own which would allow u to stay longer and save money. There are a ton of taxis. We only went with Disney because my wife watches to much tv lol and is super paranoid something could happen like end up missing or miss the ship.

Also with Disney we had our own reserved section on the beach with chairs. Other cruise or others Disney travelers who did it on there own had to rent own chairs and carried them to there spot. We did notice some ppl just act like they were part of our excursion and sit in our area with no issue.

FYI - spent $150 for 2 adults and 1 kid. If we would had went on own would have spent $50 at the most on taxi and beach entrance fees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've taken 5 cruises in the last 5 years and have taken exactly 2 ship excursions out of 15 different port stops. 1 in Cozumel because the twister boat excursion was only available through the ship because they had an exclusive contract, and one in Ocho Rios. Both were excellent excursions but pricey. In every other port I have visited I have either planned a beach day on my own or booked. Private excursion for far less than the ship was offering. Never once came close to missing the ship, or felt unsafe. Just be aware what time it is and what time you have to be back on board and you will be fine.