Future Vacation Certificates: Use 'Em or Lose 'Em!

jarand

We had four Future Vacation Certificates that expired in Sept, 2014. When we purchased them we were told, very clearly, that if we had not used them by two years, just call for a refund after the date has passed. "It's a no-brainer," we were told. "There's no way you can lose your money."

Wrong! That's how it works for Princess and HAL, but Carnival won't refund it unless you call *before* the expiration date printed on the front. In fact, if you haven't booked a cruise before the expiration date, Carnival says that, unfortunately, even the money you paid is lost.

After a long time on the phone with a helpful employee who went through several levels of supervisors, I finally have an arrangement giving us an extra year to use the $400 we paid for the certificates, but no OBC. I'm fine with that.

Lesson learned. Carnival has discontinued this program, but if you have some of those sitting in your files, call ASAP.

We had four Future Vacation Certificates that expired in Sept, 2014. When we purchased them we were told, very clearly, that if we had not used them by two years, just call for a refund after the date has passed. "It's a no-brainer," we were told. "There's no way you can lose your money."

Wrong! That's how it works for Princess and HAL, but Carnival won't refund it unless you call *before* the expiration date printed on the front. In fact, if you haven't booked a cruise before the expiration date, Carnival says that, unfortunately, even the money you paid is lost.

After a long time on the phone with a helpful employee who went through several levels of supervisors, I finally have an arrangement giving us an extra year to use the $400 we paid for the certificates, but no OBC. I'm fine with that.

Lesson learned. Carnival has discontinued this program, but if you have some of those sitting in your files, call ASAP.

Glad you got something for the certificates.

Luckily we live in NH so the FCCs we purchased were not allowed to expire by state law. Gift certificates and gift cards are also not allowed to lose any value due to state law. CA has similar rules.

Oh, how I wish I had purchased a dozen before they were discontinued.

I guess if I had purchased them, I would have thought I had to use them by the expiration date or they wouldn't be good. I would have thought if I had certificates that would expire on a certain date, I would have to get my refund or have used them by then. Otherwise, to me, what does an expiration date mean?

I am seriously not trying to be snarky, I just don't understand. I feel you are extremely lucky for Carnival to give you another year. I don't see how the certificates are any different from anything else with an expiration date. Perhaps I take things at face value or maybe I am too naive.

Edited by katiel53

I know what you're saying Katie. When I called, I realized the opportunity for OBC was gone. I (wongly) assumed I'd just get a refund.

We based our belief on 1) What we were told onboard when we purchased them (and we asked for clarification); and 2) The way HAL certificates work--which is a refund once the expiration date is passed.

In the end, I'm okay with the way it turned out, and the Carnival employee who spend over an hour on the phone with me was pleasant. The purpose for my post isn't to gripe, but to inform anyone else who may have the same mistaken belief.