Carnival Cruiser Considering NCL Getaway or RCCL Freedom

luvtovaca

We have mostly cruised Carnival and loved them all! Cost and itineraries have worked for us. We are looking at a cruise this summer and are considering NCL Getaway or RCCL Freedom or Independence. We want to try a larger ship and both have itineraries that are not too port intensive for 7 days. (The main reason we are not considering Carnival this time).

Background on what we enjoy when cruising to help your answers: we like the piano bars and comedy clubs as well as the nightly shows. We also like being able to eat when we want and dress (appropriately casual). Oh, and the free "sushi" bar pre-dinner! We did the specialty steakhouse once on Carnival and it was fine. However, at home we often dine out at nice restaurants, so while we may try a specialty it is probably not a must do for us for the upcharges. I am leaning toward NCL right now for the sole reason of the water slides. Also, the promenades on RCCL look to feel less like you are out on the ocean, but that is just in photos...I would not utilize the rock wall or FloRider on RCCL, although DH and DD17 might. Any thoughts from those of you who may have tried one, the other or both?

I think you will enjoy either ship. Both very large and full of activities. Your DD may appreciate the RCCL ships, more for kids her age, and better program for them to meet. This is according to my DD by the way.

It may. Go down to overall cost, itinerary, and convenience of embarkation port.

Have fun on your cruise.

Have sailed both Freedom and Independence - they are almost identical ships.

I think your kids would enjoy the activities - don't forget the ice skating and ice shows - something unique to RC. RC definitely has something for all ages and usually sails with a mixed bunch of ages.

Yes, the main promenade does run down the "inside" middle of the ship - however it is usually a busy, active place, especially at night - parades, music, etc. It is full of shops, bars, cafe, etc. You can always walk on other decks, such as the pool deck, if you want to be truly outside looking at the ocean.

You can do My Time Dining if you want to eat in the main dining room for dinner at your convenience; otherwise, Windjammer buffet is also another option.

Have not sailed on NCL so cannot compare to the Freedom or Independence - comments are geared towards those two.

Thank you! I appreciate that my responses so far have commented on their experiences and not really tried to sway me toward one line. I know cruiseline loyalty is a sensitive subject! Please keep the honest input coming!

Thank you! I appreciate that my responses so far have commented on their experiences and not really tried to sway me toward one line. I know cruiseline loyalty is a sensitive subject! Please keep the honest input coming!

I can definitely relate to that! I suggested some different options in one particular post, only to have several posters, very strongly disagree about a particular ship, that they would never sail on again. Everyone has different experiences with ship, crew, itinerary, fellow passengers, and food.

Myself I have not really had a bad experience at sea on any ship. Prefer to be loyal to cruising, not to a cruise line.

Following. We are interested in these opinions as well. We have only sailed Carnival (and one Celebrity cruise which we found quite boring in comparison). We love the upbeat and fun atmosphere on carnival and are wondering how NCL compares to all that fun.