Grand Cayman Island beach days

Fantasybound

Looking for help picking a beach day. Going to be on the Fantasy in May stopping at Grand Cayman. Looking for a beach day. 2 offerings on the DCL site are: "Family Beach day at Tiki Beach". Only a 10 minute bus ride to beach but thinking there will be a LOT of people especially if there is more then 1 ship in port. Also they offer "Rum Point Beach Adventure" which has a 60 minute catameran ride to the beach. Not sure if it is worth the chance of getting sick from the 60 minute ride or if really not to bad. Just dont want to be sea sick the day Im trying to enjoy the beach. Has anybody done either or both of these that can give me some advice to which one would be better. I'm traveling with my DD's 19 and 21. Thanks for your help

I'm going to tell you to skip the DCL excursions and go on your own.

Grand Cayman is one of the safest ports you can visit. The island is wealthy, crime is very low compared to most other ports, and violent crime is almost non-existent. The people are friendly and helpful.

ALL beaches are free and open to the public. No one can own the beach. OK, that applies only to the part close to the water, and hotels and resorts would like you to believe that they own from their building to the water, but they don't. There are little brown signs that indicate public walk ways to the beach, but if you go to one of the main ones, you won't need to worry about these. You can get a bus (cheap, but may be busy) or taxi (costs more but easy and readily available) at the tender port area. There are lots of great beaches where you can rent whatever you need--chairs, umbrellas, purchase food, etc. You dont need a DCL package which often includes things you don't want or care about. If you know when you want to leave, tell your morning driver what time to come back for you--he will! If you don't know, there are usually cabs lined up by the beach. If not, stop at the rental stand where the guy will phone one of his buddies for you. Everyone speaks English and they are all glad you are there. They want your tourist dollars!

Where to go...Sea Grape Beach, Cemetary Beach, 7 Mile Beach.....all great. DO be aware of the time. We just plan to get back to the tender port an hour early. That way, if we mixed up anything, we are still on time. If you are in line for the tender, you will get on regardless of how "full" it is. THey will send another boat if needed. No one in the line will be left!

Edited by moki'smommy

Don't waste the money on a ship excusrion. As moki mentioned Grand Cayman is a very safe island, there is no reason to overpay for a ship excursion to the beach here. You can enjoy the freedom of doing it on your own for much less money.

We went to 7 mile beach (Tiki & Pebbles specifically, as 7-mile beach has lots of different areas.) and it was a wonderful day!! Grand Cayman has some of the best beaches of anywhere I have been in the Carribbean.

Agreed! There is no earthly reason to pay someone to take you to the beach here....GC is the easiest place for DIY!!!!

The bus is $2.50 pp, and they run all the time....back and forth...they are about 1 block past the tender dock. So easy! Beaches are all PUBLIC....and there are restrooms, lounge rentals, food/drink and watersport rentals all up and down the beach. Did I mention how easy this is?

Edited by cb at sea

The only thing I'll mention is to take small bills with you. SOME places will insist on taking your USD but giving change in Cayman Dollars...which are worthless outside of the Cayman Islands If you have small bills, no worries.

The post office, by law, must give change in Cayman money. Any place else, you can argue with them.