Reflection TV plug in

Lyndihop

We will be sailing in a couple of weeks on a 16 day TA. And since it seems the movie rentals are so pricey we're going to be taking our Mac that has many movies loaded. I have a question??? Can we use a HDMI cable to plug into the room tv to view our movies????? I want to be sure, because we are already tight on suit case room, but could maybe make a little more.

There is an answer to this on a thread from a couple years ago called "DVD Connection to TV-Eclipse" and a poster (FRMPEI) gives detailed instructions how to do what you are asking. Sorry I don't know how to give you the link directly..just did a search. Hope it helps.

We will be sailing in a couple of weeks on a 16 day TA. And since it seems the movie rentals are so pricey we're going to be taking our Mac that has many movies loaded. I have a question??? Can we use a HDMI cable to plug into the room tv to view our movies????? I want to be sure, because we are already tight on suit case room, but could maybe make a little more.

There have been some discussions on this under other threads for various ships -- so it might be worth a hunt, but the bottom line seems to have worked out to a handful of scenarios.

The root issue is that the TVs are generally in something called "hotel mode", and in this mode, the ports that would otherwise be available on the TV are not active and cannot be switched to.

What happens after that seems to vary considerably and you have a few chocies:

1.) The TV in your stateroom may already be out of hotel mode and the other ports (HDMI, USB, etc) are active .

2.) You can unplug the HDMI cable that comes from the ship's "feed' and plug your own in. Since it's active, it'll work. Most of the comments seem to indicate that accessing this is not very difficult.

3.) Bring a generic universal remote (or presumably if you have a Samsung TV at home, your own) and there is a special sequence that you can type in that will take the TV out of hotel mode.

4.) Ask your stateroom attendant/butler to have Engineering come up and turn off hotel mode for you. Sometimes folks do this under the guise of asking for a DVD player to be hooked up.

I haven't gone on my first Celebrity cruise yet, but I was anxious to find out about this for the same reasons you mentioned.

There have been some discussions on this under other threads for various ships -- so it might be worth a hunt, but the bottom line seems to have worked out to a handful of scenarios.

The root issue is that the TVs are generally in something called "hotel mode", and in this mode, the ports that would otherwise be available on the TV are not active and cannot be switched to.

What happens after that seems to vary considerably and you have a few chocies:

1.) The TV in your stateroom may already be out of hotel mode and the other ports (HDMI, USB, etc) are active .

2.) You can unplug the HDMI cable that comes from the ship's "feed' and plug your own in. Since it's active, it'll work. Most of the comments seem to indicate that accessing this is not very difficult.

3.) Bring a generic universal remote (or presumably if you have a Samsung TV at home, your own) and there is a special sequence that you can type in that will take the TV out of hotel mode.

4.) Ask your stateroom attendant/butler to have Engineering come up and turn off hotel mode for you. Sometimes folks do this under the guise of asking for a DVD player to be hooked up.

I haven't gone on my first Celebrity cruise yet, but I was anxious to find out about this for the same reasons you mentioned.

Thanks tons, SupremeFlounder. This is great information to have. :)

I've had very good luck on the last 3 ships (Equinox, Millennium and Summit) plugging my HDMI into the side HDMI port #3, putting the TV on channel 3 (which is not a generally available channel so it must be keyed in, not using the up and down buttons) and it worked great.

Regardless of HOW it works, your cabin steward can help or have someone come and help, so it is possible and worth bringing the mac and cable.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

There is an answer to this on a thread from a couple years ago called "DVD Connection to TV-Eclipse" and a poster (FRMPEI) gives detailed instructions how to do what you are asking. Sorry I don't know how to give you the link directly..just did a search. Hope it helps.

We discussed this a couple of weeks ago on a thread. On the S class of ships there are two types of TV connection that the stateroom TV use 1) DVI or 2) HDMI.

Now my comments are strictly based on what I know and what worked for me. Equinox was the second S class ship built and it used the DVI method of input the Silhouette was the fourth built S class ship and it uses the HDMI method of Input. I have not been on the Reflection and can not say for sure but I would assume since it is the fifth built S class ship it would be the same as Silhouette. In that case you will be in luck.

Here is what to do. (No the TV is not in some sort of "hotel mode")

1) On the back of the TV you will notice two HDMI inputs the ship is using the second one.

2) Simply unplug this one and replace with your own personal HDMI cable that you have coming out of your Mac Bookpro.

3)There you have it that simply. The TV remote will also work the volume for you.

This is the link another poster was referring to:

HDMI Hookups

This is link that poster "cle-guy" and I had about Equinox.

Equinox TV Hookup

I think this should help you.Any other question I will be happy to to try and give you a response.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Can't thank you enough. Hubby says "he knows what you're saying". (we'll see) anyway, we have (thanks to our son) loaded many movies and look forward to them working. Not to say we don't want to get about the ship at night. But we're kind getting old and set in our ways...so we sort of turn in early these days. And like a little tv movie to go to sleep by.

The Solstice TV has HDMI ports but the question should be does it use DVI or HDMI for its ship TV? We were on Solstice in 2012 but I did not think of looking. My Guess since it was the first it uses DVI rather than HDMI but that is a guess. Sorry!

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Edited by FRMPEI