Changed last name

jennifer1t

I've changed my name since my last cruise (got married) my birth certificate, passport and even my VIFP card all have my maiden name but my drivers license has my married name on it.

My husband booked me on the cruise under my married name.

My question is- do I still need to bring all of my documents on a cruise (Cozumel, Cayman Islands, Jamaica) if the only thing that matches my booking name is my license?

TIA

If you are going to use your passport you have to be booked under the name on the passport. If you are going to use your DL then you have to bring your BC and marriage license to prove why the last name is different.

I book under my married name. I don't have a passport. My married name is on my DL. I bring my birth certificate, DL, and marriage license each time. I've never had then ask for the marriage license, but i still just bring it anyway.

I've changed my name since my last cruise (got married) my birth certificate, passport and even my VIFP card all have my maiden name but my drivers license has my married name on it.

My husband booked me on the cruise under my married name.

My question is- do I still need to bring all of my documents on a cruise (Cozumel, Cayman Islands, Jamaica) if the only thing that matches my booking name is my license?

TIA

Unless you are in the penalty period, just change the name on the booking. As long as one name remains the same, the booking isn't cancelled.

Otherwise, you will need the BC/DL and marriage license. Many will tell you that you don't need the marriage license, and that they have cruised for years without it, but it is "strongly recommended" by CBP, who are the ones making the rules, and they state that they "can" ask to see a bridge document between names, and that failure to produce one "could" lead to delay in clearance.

I have the same problem. I always use my DL and my BC. I also take my Marriage License and YES I have been asked for it.

I also take my passport just in case there is an emergency and I need to fly home.

Been doing this for years, have to finally get a new passport this year.

Bring EVERYTHING! I sailed in December (divorce was final in November.) I took the divorce papers, old passport, old DL, new DL, and birth certificate. Carnival knew my cruise was booked, but scanned the old passport "because it's easier." I had no problems until we got back. I had to show every piece of documentation that I had for customs to clear me.

Since any woman who has married and taken her husband's name has a birth certificate that is in a different name the cruise line would be requiring every woman to bring their marriage certificate along and that just won't happen. As long as you have a state issued driver's license in your new married name you are good to go with it and your birth certificate.

A marriage license is only needed if someone's ID is still in their maiden name and they have booked under their married name like people who are on their honeymoon.

Thanks for the reply everyone. I contacted Carnival and asked their advice. The advised me to change the booking name on the cruise to the same that is on my passport.

The woman I spoke to was not as nice as other I've talk to in the past so I hope she didn't steer me in the wrong direction [emoji21]

I asked my PVP this question, as everything is in my married name except my passport. She said she could change the booking to match my passport, but I would also be fine if I just wanted to bring the passport and the marriage license.

Sent from my not-so-smart-phone.