What's the skinny with Rum Cakes?

SUNNY D

Everyone is talking about rum cakes in Grand Cayman. I don't think I have ever had a rum cake? What is it? Are they really that good? Just wondering if I need to make some time to jump on the band wagon while we are there! LOL :)

SunnyD,

Here is a link to their website. From what I've heard...they taste awesome & make a nice gift.

http://www.tortugarumcakes.com/

Try the rest then try the best!

http://www.blackbeardsrumcompany.com/

Actually Tortuga was the first company I think, and it is a relatively new industry (years, but not centuries). Don't think any rum is actually distilled on the island.

They have to be loaded with calories, but they are so good! As mentioned, they make excellent gifts. There will be a lot of samples out so you can select your favorites.

We found the pricing a little better on shore, and there was a better variety of packages. We have not tried Blackbeard's, but we can definitely recommend Tortuga.

Enjoy!

They are delicious and if you take a tour that includes the rum cake factory, you get to watch them making them and taste the different flavors. You also get some free shots of rum.

We brought home boxes of rum cake from the ship (best price we saw) from the same company for gifts. They were gobbled up like lightning.

They certainly don't look like anything special when you unwrap them. And the first couple of bites are okay...but then you realize how tasty the thing is. And before you know it - no more rum cake! :(

Rum cakes are great, I bought a bunch to bring back to work as a souvieners. (sp?) I bought them on the ship, because we really didn't have much time to shop. We get into the Caymans early, before most shops open, and when they do open, the excursions leave. Most of the shops that sell them, do offer samples for you to taste. At least try them for the experience.

Everyone is talking about rum cakes in Grand Cayman. I don't think I have ever had a rum cake? What is it? Are they really that good? Just wondering if I need to make some time to jump on the band wagon while we are there! LOL :)

Wait a minute...You've never in your life had a rum cake??? Indulge yourself and try the samples they'll have out in the stores to find your favorite flavor. You can usually find them throughout the entire Carribbean and the smell when they are baking them really is a little bit of heaven. :) Oh, also remember one very important fact....the alcohol evaporates during the cooking process leaving only the taste and smell so you really can eat them to your hearts content...well, only if you don't care if you gain 5# from eating them. The are definitely not on any low fat, low cal, low carb, low anything kind of diet. Yummy!

Archived