Room Service

There is only one reason I choose to take a cruise, because the cruise makes me feel like a millionaire. The grill by the pool is like being at a country club. Doing the art auction, I feel I must raise my pinky while sipping the free Champaign to match the sophisticated atmosphere. The service on the Lido deck is always "yes ma'am", and supper is nearly fine dinning every night! (The only drawback is the paparazzi, no I don't want to buy a photo.)

When the cruise is over, I am always pained by the service withdraw I feel when I get my first, "Yeah, whatta ya want?"

A room service omelet at the Las Vegas Cosmopolitan will run about $20, plus coffee, plus a $5 delivery charge, plus an 18% service charge, plus tip. There I feel like a hobo when I make an in-room coffee and eat a granola bar from my purse.

On HAL I feel special if I can get an egg and juice delivered. Charging for it will make the whole experience just a little less special.

There is only one reason I choose to take a cruise, because the cruise makes me feel like a millionaire. The grill by the pool is like being at a country club. Doing the art auction, I feel I must raise my pinky while sipping the free Champaign to match the sophisticated atmosphere. The service on the Lido deck is always "yes ma'am", and supper is nearly fine dinning every night! (The only drawback is the paparazzi, no I don't want to buy a photo.)

When the cruise is over, I am always pained by the service withdraw I feel when I get my first, "Yeah, whatta ya want?"

A room service omelet at the Las Vegas Cosmopolitan will run about $20, plus coffee, plus a $5 delivery charge, plus an 18% service charge, plus tip. There I feel like a hobo when I make an in-room coffee and eat a granola bar from my purse.

On HAL I feel special if I can get an egg and juice delivered. Charging for it will make the whole experience just a little less special.

Well as of yet it is only being rolled out on Carnival (maybe NCL too? I know it's a different company altogether but I think NCL started this first. Sorry not sure about this but I could swear I read that) and it's only for new hot items they are trying, like hot wings and not sure what else. I think they are offering hot pub style food for the premium price on the RS menu. The standard fare that was on the RS menu previously (hot and cold sandwiches, burgers and salads, desserts) will still be included in the fare. Hopefully they won't start charging pax for burgers since they are supposed to be a hot cooked food.

No word of it being rolled out on HAL ships at this time, so I think the hot breakfast is still complimentary on Hal. I hope it is, we are on the Veendam next month! Our first HAL experience and we want to try breakfast on the balcony, weather permitting. BTW your post made me laugh, especially the comment about raising your pinkie while sipping the champagne while at the auction LOL You are a hoot! :D

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

Room service is something that I fail to receive at home.

Being on a cruise, it is a luxury that I enjoy and I do expect.

If I have to start to pay for such a service, that "policy" is going to reduce the difference between a land based resort and a cruise.

From a business model viewpoint: is this the way they really want to go?

I agree completely!