Bed or sofa by the balcony door

We always assumed that balcony cabins had the sofa next to the door and the bed next to it. We found out accidentally on Cruise Critic that alternate cabins on Celebrity Solstice have that and the other cabins have the bed right next to the sliding door. But Celebrity could not tell us which way our cabin was configured! We prefer the sofa by the door, as most ships seem to have, so we can sit and look at the passing sea or whatever there is to look at. (We were lucky that that was the configuration we did have) Deck plans with correct bed positioning would help in a situation like this.

I originally posted this on another thread. Since then I have seen on the deck plans of Voyager of the Seas that they also have beds by the door. We have been on Dawn Princess, with the bed not by the door. Are there other ships with all/some Cabins with beds by the door? It may seem silly to ask this, but we do like to spend some time in the cabin and if the balcony is unusable we don't particularly want to sit on the bed.

We always assumed that balcony cabins had the sofa next to the door and the bed next to it. We found out accidentally on Cruise Critic that alternate cabins on Celebrity Solstice have that and the other cabins have the bed right next to the sliding door. But Celebrity could not tell us which way our cabin was configured! We prefer the sofa by the door, as most ships seem to have, so we can sit and look at the passing sea or whatever there is to look at. (We were lucky that that was the configuration we did have) Deck plans with correct bed positioning would help in a situation like this.

I originally posted this on another thread. Since then I have seen on the deck plans of Voyager of the Seas that they also have beds by the door. We have been on Dawn Princess, with the bed not by the door. Are there other ships with all/some Cabins with beds by the door? It may seem silly to ask this, but we do like to spend some time in the cabin and if the balcony is unusable we don't particularly want to sit on the bed.

Why don't you post your cabin number here for your Solstice cruise. Someone may have had the cabin before and be in a position to tell you or someone may have had one nearby which will allow you to work out from the deck plans whether your bed is by the balcony door or whether the sofa is as each cabin alternates.

Cheers

Di

Was on the Solstice last month and like you my husband and I have always preferred the sofa by the Balcony to look out. When we booked we were assured that we had this configuration, looking on line via comments on the Celebrity board, confirmed this is what we had. Imagine our surprise when we got on board and found out that we had the sofa by the bathroom and the bed by the verandah.

I was miffed to say the least but after being on board for 18 days we realised when it came to the Solstice this configuration was the best. Unlike other cruise ships we have been on, on the Solstice the wardrobe actually faces into the main room and is not in the entry corridor or as in Princess facing the bathroom. Also the room was certainly smaller than we have had before (though that is about to be challenged by our Diamond Princess room), so there wasn't the same amount of manoeuvrability.

So when we entered the room there was immediate space and we could access the wardrobe relatively easily, if the sofa had been by the door we would have had to squeeze past the bed first. Also to access the wardrobe the bed would have certainly been in the way.

We soon got used to having our sofa further in. So in the end it really doesn't matter which configuration you get - sofa by the balcony and you get your views or sofa by the bathroom and you have a bit more manoeuvrability.

BTW they have lovely big verandah glass doors so when sitting on our sofa we still had a good view out.

I just wish that their deck plans would reflect the true configuration of the room, t makes a big difference to some.

For DW a big issue is if the bed is facing fore, aft or out, why the plans don't answer this basic question, as well as sofa by the window or inside is just beyond my comprehension.

We sailed on Solstice last month and by looking at deck plans could work out which configuration our cabin would have. On either side of our cabin on the plan there was a square shown in those cabins which indicated the sofa could be used as an additional bed. This meant that those cabins had sofas by the door. Our wasn't, as they alternate. Hope this makes sense and helps.

I can confirm that the way the wardrobe faces is very annoying when you have the sofa by the balcony door, and the bed by the wardrobe. It is very hard for both people to get at the wardrobe and when you are getting dressed it gets squashy. Then if you need stuff from your draws you have to get around the bed.

Totally loved our trip and this was a minor annoyance, but we are hoping next time our bed will be by the balcony. I like to wake up and draw the curtains and see the sea go by sometimes too.

I don't know why they can't make the deck plans show this for people. You should be able to get your preference without having to trawl around cruise critic asking.