Vaccinations?

JMC1988

Carnival has no requirements for ports they stop at - if they did, it would kill their business.

If you want a true indication of the risks of stopping at carribean ports, you should look at websites like this CDC website

Also know that visiting some ports prohibits one from giving blood for a year or two (Roatan is one)

Edited by lizardhowson

Carnival has no requirements for ports they stop at - if they did, it would kill their business.

If you want a true indication of the risks of stopping at carribean ports, you should look at websites like this CDC website

Also know that visiting some ports prohibits one from giving blood for a year or two (Roatan is one)

Thank you very much for the information you provided! I really appreciate it! Looks like we are all good to go! Up to date on all shots that would be of worry!

Was sad to discover this when I tried to donate last month. Wish I'd known before because I don't think the hour I spent onshore walking the Mahogany Bay beach was worth the year ban on donating blood.

Does anyone know if there is a requirement to be up to date on any specific vaccines before you sail with Carnival?

It depends on where the ship goes. It's not a Carnival thing per se, except their choices in itineraries worldwide.

Check CDC for the ports on your itinerary.

I know HepA and Typhoid were suggested for some Caribbean Islands if you plan to eat local food/cuisine.

But there are lots of ports worldwide Carnival visits!

We got HepA done as a preventative because we do enjoy sampling local cuisine when we travel so far. Stuff we just don't get at home; Iguana stew, goat something or another, etc...

Was sad to discover this when I tried to donate last month. Wish I'd known before because I don't think the hour I spent onshore walking the Mahogany Bay beach was worth the year ban on donating blood.

I did not know that either. These boards are amazing for info. I will look for a list of places that carry one year donation bans.

IF you are scheduled for a port that has advisories you will get a letter like this:

Greetings folks!

We’re sure you must be super excited about your upcoming cruise vacation! So, we’d like to provide you with some important information you’ll need for your cruise. Certain countries require a yellow fever certificate of vaccination. Yellow fever is a serious disease caused by the yellow fever virus. It is found in certain parts of Africa and South America and is spread through the bite of an infected mosquito. You can minimize your risk by taking steps to avoid mosquito bites when outdoors. It cannot be spread person to person by direct contact.

While some countries require all travelers get a yellow fever vaccination, Barbados only requires a vaccination if the traveler is from areas infected with yellow fever, areas where yellow fever transmission has occurred (endemic areas), and for travelers having transited more than 12 hours through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. If this does not apply to you, a yellow fever vaccine is not necessary.

Therefore, we strongly suggest all guests, traveling to or from Barbados, South America, or an African country visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/ for yellow fever certificate information, instructions, and country-by-country requirements.

Please remember that proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. As much as we'd like to help you, it’s your sole responsibility to have the required documents available at all times. We are sorry to say, if you do not have the proper travel documents, you will not be allowed onboard. This also means we won't be providing a refund of your cruise fare.

We can’t wait to welcome you aboard for a Fun and memorable cruise vacation!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

I think the important line is :Please remember that proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. As much as we'd like to help you, it’s your sole responsibility to have the required documents available at all times.

Have a wonderful cruise.

IF you are scheduled for a port that has advisories you will get a letter like this:

Greetings folks!

We’re sure you must be super excited about your upcoming cruise vacation! So, we’d like to provide you with some important information you’ll need for your cruise. Certain countries require a yellow fever certificate of vaccination. Yellow fever is a serious disease caused by the yellow fever virus. It is found in certain parts of Africa and South America and is spread through the bite of an infected mosquito. You can minimize your risk by taking steps to avoid mosquito bites when outdoors. It cannot be spread person to person by direct contact.

While some countries require all travelers get a yellow fever vaccination, Barbados only requires a vaccination if the traveler is from areas infected with yellow fever, areas where yellow fever transmission has occurred (endemic areas), and for travelers having transited more than 12 hours through the airport of a country with risk of yellow fever transmission. If this does not apply to you, a yellow fever vaccine is not necessary.

Therefore, we strongly suggest all guests, traveling to or from Barbados, South America, or an African country visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/ for yellow fever certificate information, instructions, and country-by-country requirements.

Please remember that proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. As much as we'd like to help you, it’s your sole responsibility to have the required documents available at all times. We are sorry to say, if you do not have the proper travel documents, you will not be allowed onboard. This also means we won't be providing a refund of your cruise fare.

We can’t wait to welcome you aboard for a Fun and memorable cruise vacation!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

I think the important line is :Please remember that proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. As much as we'd like to help you, it’s your sole responsibility to have the required documents available at all times.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Rely on what you want. We rely on CDC site and our family doctor recommendations, whatever they are, with respect to travel immunizations. Nothing more, nothing less for us.

Edited by eponym