Bonnie & an 11yr old?

hfj17002

My son has cruised since he was 3 years old. None of us have experienced any effects from a cruise. The boat is way too big to be that close to the water. Occasionally when closer to land the ship sways side to side quite a bit or if it's choppy but this has not happened to us to a point of seasickness. The stabilizers prevent a lot of that movement. We stay close to the bottom of the ship when it is really rocky just in case. I agree with others , have some solutions ready but don't say anything to your child unless they say they are getting sick.

As others suggested, always talk with your doctor first. My kids are prone to motion sickness and Bonine does make one for kids but I have found it very difficult to find. I had to purchase it online. If needed, I would certainly try the ginger first but it's always good to have a back up.

If your physician said "he didn't know a thing about Bonine" I would be looking for a new doctor :). Bonine is simply Meclizine Hcl, which is a very common drug used in the treatment of several inner ear problems including Menieres Disease. Perhaps we could give your physician the benefit of the doubt and he might have understood if you had mentioned Meclizine or Antivert (the prescription name for the identical drug). As I recall, the prescribing info says that they have not established the safety of this drug for those under 12. So if you want to give up to kids it is wise to check with a physician (who knows the drug).

Hank

Retread the OP. The Dr did not know anything about 'bonnie'.

The OP had the wrong word when she talked to the Dr.

• 4 weeks later...

Dramamine has a children's chewable version. This is what I give to my kids who both get carsick. I'm going to give them each half a Dramamine when they get up in the morning while on our 'round the Horn cruise next February, and then every 6 to 8 hours as needed (per package directions). I am very prone to motion sickness, and on my first (and only) cruise, I took a Less Drowsy Dramamine in the morning, and one after dinner, and I was fine. I agree with the advice about not letting your kids know that you are worried about them getting seasick, however, it's easier to prevent it with meds in the first place than to stop it once they are sick, so keep that in mind. Ginger (if they'll take it) and children's SeaBands (if they will wear them) are good non-medicine options.

Dramamine has a children's chewable version. This is what I give to my kids who both get carsick. I'm going to give them each half a Dramamine when they get up in the morning while on our 'round the Horn cruise next February, and then every 6 to 8 hours as needed (per package directions). I am very prone to motion sickness, and on my first (and only) cruise, I took a Less Drowsy Dramamine in the morning, and one after dinner, and I was fine. I agree with the advice about not letting your kids know that you are worried about them getting seasick, however, it's easier to prevent it with meds in the first place than to stop it once they are sick, so keep that in mind. Ginger (if they'll take it) and children's SeaBands (if they will wear them) are good non-medicine options.

Thanks for the info. I'm going the ginger route, but would like to have a back up plan. I rather use bonine because it seems to not cause drowsiness. I've read that dramamine causes drowsiness. I still haven't called my son's Dr back, but I definitely need to since I have 40 days left before we cruise. I also upgraded to a balcony on the 11th deck. Thanks again