South Pacific Cruises Dec 2015 from Australia

RCI is minimum 18 for cruises out of Australia, it's listed in their FAQs in their website.

I'm sure you'd be OK on both RCI and Carnival as one of you is 20, right?

Ok, thanks for providing that information. Yes, my partner is 20.

Another thing to be aware of Ellie is the AUS dollar against the US dollar which is what RCI use for example at the current rate spend $100 onboard RCI and it will cost you $128 aus approx. also when you are onboard you pay 18% gratuities on everything you spend onboard ,and if you don't prepay gratuities you will be charged $13 per person per day .

I am not trying to scare you away from RCI, that is who we mainly cruise with but to let you know so you are aware of these cost as I said before which ever way you go enjoy

Interesting chart QzKiwi shows they certainly don't need to take 3 days to get there

Thank you very much for providing that information chester32, I had come across snippets of information about gratuities and such, but didn't read too far into it. Is 18% a high amount in comparision to other cruise liners? :confused: Would anyone be able to provide more information about the gratuities policy on Carnival?

Thank you very much for providing that information chester32, I had come across snippets of information about gratuities and such, but didn't read too far into it. Is 18% a high amount in comparision to other cruise liners? :confused: Would anyone be able to provide more information about the gratuities policy on Carnival?

18% is high. There is great outrage on both the RCI and Celebrity forums about this increase in "service charge".

The three Australian-based cruise lines do not have additional gratuities charged on top of the fare or onboard costs like drinks. The fares and prices are all inclusive. I don't know what the on-board prices are like on Carnival but we found Princess drinks prices to be very reasonable compared with Sydney restaurant prices. Cocktails were around $14 and there was a very good selection of wines by the bottle from about $25 upwards, wine by the glass was about $8 I think. Not sure what beers cost. We averaged $85 per day for both of us - usually a glass of wine with lunch on sea days, a cocktail each before dinner, a bottle of wine between us with dinner, and the occasional after dinner drink. I would expect the prices on P&O and Carnival to be similar.

18% is high. There is great outrage on both the RCI and Celebrity forums about this increase in "service charge".

No wonder, 18% seems very outrageous! We are on quite a tight budget and are not keen on having to pay additional gratuities on RCI, when we wouldn't have to do so with Carnival.

Just one more thing Ellie I noticed in your selections you haven't included the Celebrity Solstice this is a true five star ship and prices aren't much different , it is a bit more of a layed back ship we spent 17 days on it last year and it was the best cruise we have been on, a very classy ship definitely worth a look.

Celebrity is a sister company to RCI so all the same conditions apply sorry to give you something else to think about but worth a look:)

The three Australian-based cruise lines do not have additional gratuities charged on top of the fare or onboard costs like drinks. The fares and prices are all inclusive.

Just to clarify for those playing along at home... I know what you mean - there are not additonal tips and gratuites added for waiters and room attendants etc on these lines, but they are not "all inclusive" [AI] ie that you don't pay anything extra for anything (eg drinks) when on board. That is what the term means.

In your original post, you mentioned the Carnival Legend, but not the Carnival Spirit. I think the Carnival Spirit would be the better choice because they have a fabulous band.

Also, have just seen a few reviews of the Carnival Legend that suggest that people have not been quite as happy with the Carnival Legend as they have with the Carnival Spirit.

I went on a cruise on the Carnival Spirit last July and will definitely be looking to go on another one!

In your original post, you mentioned the Carnival Legend, but not the Carnival Spirit. I think the Carnival Spirit would be the better choice because they have a fabulous band.

Also, have just seen a few reviews of the Carnival Legend that suggest that people have not been quite as happy with the Carnival Legend as they have with the Carnival Spirit.

I went on a cruise on the Carnival Spirit last July and will definitely be looking to go on another one!

Thanks for touching on that. After posting, I noticed a similar cruise on offer with the Carnival Spirit also. Could you please explain a bit further on your experiences on the Carnival Spirit? What was it that has drawn you back to the Carnival Spirit? Did you find the entertainment sufficient? We are a bit worried about that side of things.

We liked the band. After we discovered Music Manilla on the secondnight, we were down there every night listening to them. There was alsoa piano bar, with a fabulous singer and a close intimate atmosphere.

I was not impressed with the stage shows, but I am very picky. I also did a Mediteraean cruise on Legend of the Seas in 2013 and didn't find their shows all that good either.

The other thing that would be appealing to a young age group is the Green Thunder water slide on Carnival Spirit. But I think they also have that on the Carnival Legend.

Hi Ellie have only been on p&o and princess, husband and I in our our early fifties and we think we were amongst the youngest on the Princess cruise!!! , so yes don't cruise Princess for your first trip! We are not big drinkers but still liked the p&o cruises we took . We are booked on the Pacific Aria leaving from Brisbane for the islands Decmber 7th , it's stopping at our favourite islands and a couple we have never been too

As far as the actual islands go ..our favourite for snorkelling is Mystery Island , Lifou was also good and does have Jinek Bay although Jinek can get crowded. Isle of Pines was awesome gorgeous and there is a pub right on the beach where u can have fish and chips and a cold drink . Villa is really friendly we both loved it decent shopping the best markets and the cheapest and largest duty free shop. Mare we didn't like so much and there is nothing to do there unless you catch a bus for $15. Each to the beach which is not as good as the other islands for snorkelling . Noumea have been to twice the last time the main thing we did was look for Maccas for their free wifi!! and we were not the only ones . I have seen threads asking why do the cruise liners still stop at Noumea as so many people are not rapt in it. I haven't been but have heard that Champagne Bay is also one of the more beautiful islands so looking forward to visiting that island . Sorry for any typos it's late and my eyes are squinting :)