Hats for women in the main dining room at breakfast

For women, hats have become a fashion accessory and are worn both indoors and outside without any regard for the actual function of the hat (protection from the elements). I believe this is more the case in the UK rather than in the US, but not entirely since many women wear hats indoors to their place of worship. I've worn a hat with a 4-inch brim on the last couple of cruises with no problem whatsoever in any venue. I would wear it (and have) in the dining room. I would not wear it in the theatre because it might block the view of people sitting behind me.

This discussion is fascinating and illustrates our many views and perspectives about what is appropriate, inappropriate, fashionable, etc. In many ways, it's much like discussions about food -- highly subjective! :)

• 1 month later...

I was taught ball/golf caps, beach/garden hats, toques/snow hats, and riding helmets were all removed upon entering a building.

Hats or Fascinators were considered part of a Lady's hair dressing. They were not removed. Imagine pinning up hair, pinning hat into hair, arranging hair around hat. It's definitely part of ones hair dressing [emoji6].

That also why <Traditionally> a Lady did not remover her hat for Colours or The Pledge or other appropriate times when Gentlemen did remove theirs.

A funny story: My hair is elbow-length and usually worn up. When wearing a hat, my hair is usually plaited into it in some way through the crown and sides. Helps to keep the hat from taking flight [emoji6].

Airports are funny places, even pre-TSA. I was asked to remove my hat. UmmHmm. The looks of horror from screening agents, baggage handlers, passengers was enough to put me into fits of giggles. Unpinning, unwinding, uncoiling, unplaitting, unfurling rather curly hair was a unique experience for the observers. Just another day for me. I _think_ the screams of terror from the "Woman with the Wand" who was sucked into the mass was icing on the cake.

Here I was planning on bringing and wearing one or two of my day hats and one or two of my evening hats for an upcoming cruise.

They were "allowed" because they were a part of the outfit and because they tend to be difficult to remove /replace because they're pinned to the head.

There may be, of course, extenuating circumstances - perhaps a number of steers have broken loose indoors and a sombrero wearing female vaquero, (possibly accompanied by a stetson attired Texas Ranger), is called upon to disburse them.....;)