Scooters around the island

JamesGNYC

We have rented scooters 4 of the 5 trips to Bermuda. YES they are dangerous! You have to pay attention at all times. I would highly recommend motorcycle experience beforehand. However, I do believe it is the best way to see the island. Our next visit there will only be my second time there that we arent renting scooters(kids). This time we have hired a guide.

Best way to get around and visit places that the busses don't go to. Was great roads and a joy to drive them. Such scenic drives! Wished I could have a 100 or 125 scooter but i understand the reason behind the 50cc.

Was there a few bad drivers passing at bad spots - yup. Just like riding in the states or anywhere - you HAVE to pay very close attention to everything!

We loved being able to skip the super crowded beaches and just drive a few more miles down the road to almost empty beaches with what looked like just a few locals at!

Was great riding too. loved the scenery! And just remember bikes are the norm in bermuda. i think almost everyone has them. That being said - they can drive a bit crazy. not just the cars but the other bikes. They are all use to passing and driving (most of them) and a few times wide load vehicles coming around the corners would have to wave you off to the side.

But - i am an experienced biker. Been riding dirt bikes since I was 5 years old (i'm 45 now) owned street bikes since I was 18, I have raced superbikes for about 10 years also. Currently own 2 sportbikes and a scooter at the moment (down from 4 bikes). I say that because being on a bike is 2nd nature to me. I don't have to think about being on a bike, I just drive and enjoy and watch the traffic. If you have a few years experience on any kind of bike, then make sure you rent scooters out. Its fantastic. if you have never been on a bike before - Bermuda is not the place to try it out. You need to not have to think about the bike and how to ride it, you need to be able to pay attention to everything around you

• 2 weeks later...

thank you all for the feedback! Had an amazing trip to bermuda and rented a scooter for two days. Got to see things off the beaten path that most people would never see on busses or excursion tours. Locals pass you and tailgate a little but there's never much traffic and you just kind of ignore those behind you. i'll definitely be back in bermuda one day