Tampa Departure on Gasparilla?

paulh84

We were considering joining some friends on the 1/30 Brilliance cruise from Tampa. However that day is Gasparilla, which sounds like a LOT of fun, and a big headache all in one! I know we would need to book a hotel ASAP and expect to pay accordingly for it.

My bigger concern is getting around downtown/port area to depart. It's been years since I went to Gasparilla but I recall almost all of the port area being closed to traffic. We could do a hotel within walking distance, but we would possibly be dodging thousands of people while we drag our luggage along as folks are headed towards the bay. Not the biggest problem, but it is something to keep in mind.

Is departure time effected by this? I remember there being a massive amount of boat traffic in the bay, especially along Bayshore but it also extended far into the bay and all around Harbour and Davis Islands. A cruise ship leaving and hundreds of potentially not so sober boaters seems little a bad idea.

Departure wouldn't be delayed unless there's fog which is a possibility being February in Tampa. It will be very crowded but if you get a cab from port you should be fine. The festivities start at like 2:00 pm and people flood Tampa around noon so you really should be fine.

What a great way to end a cruise though. A week of fun topped off with one of the biggest parties in the country. I think they're getting about 100k in attendance now. If you stay at the Marriott by the arena you will get to see all the "pirates" invade Tampa before the Mayor gives them control of the city. It would then be an elevator ride down and you're on the parade route.

Sorry I read it wrong I was thinking you were disembarking during gasparilla. No it shouldn't be an issue during embarkation, taxis know how to get around the traffic and police will see a ship is in port so not everything will be blocked off. It maybe a little slower getting to the Gulf because people will be on the ire boats in the channels and bay, but the Coast guard guides the ship out and gets the small boats away from the ship quick.