My water issue

Spirit25

I'm posting this mainly for first time cruisers to give them a heads up.

I'd like to preface it with saying I enjoyed my last cruise 100% on adventure of the seas RCI and would not hesitate to jump right back on that boat again.

But here goes.

I not being a novice cruiser bought the unlimited drink package which was fantastic! I would go to the royal promenade cafe every morning and get a skinny late and a gatoraid or a bottle of sparkling water all included in my drink package. However I also grabbed numerous bottles of water out of my mini fridge not even thinking they weren't included. Shoot I can order grey goose all day long with this package why would one think water wouldn't be part of that. Well day 3 I notice a pretty hefty room charge from my mini bar. OOPS bottled water is not included. The desk manager was so sweet and took it off my bill and no biggie I filled my complimentary mug with water from there on out. BUT I had no clue! there was no sign on the mini fridge saying anything. And now as I do a more research it seems all cruise lines do the same thing. Or at least royal, princess and NCL.

So for the first time cruisers. Bring a reusable water bottle or a case of water etc. cus it ain't included hahahaha.

Edited by Spirit25

I'd like to preface it with saying I enjoyed my last cruise 100% on adventure of the seas RCI and would not hesitate to jump right back on that boat again.

But here goes.

I not being a novice cruiser bought the unlimited drink package which was fantastic! I would go to the royal promenade cafe every morning and get a skinny late and a gatoraid or a bottle of sparkling water all included in my drink package. However I also grabbed numerous bottles of water out of my mini fridge not even thinking they weren't included. Shoot I can order grey goose all day long with this package why would one think water wouldn't be part of that. Well day 3 I notice a pretty hefty room charge from my mini bar. OOPS bottled water is not included. The desk manager was so sweet and took it off my bill and no biggie I filled my complimentary mug with water from there on out. BUT I had no clue! there was no sign on the mini fridge saying anything. And now as I do a more research it seems all cruise lines do the same thing. Or at least royal, princess and NCL.

So for the first time cruisers. Bring a reusable water bottle or a case of water etc. cus it ain't included hahahaha.

It's not the water issue it is the mini fridge issue - NOTHING in the fridge is free, and it is not included in any drink package

But here goes.

I dislike the crammed full of stuff mini fridge....

I learned from the forums here to have the cabin steward empty the refrigerator. I have removed stuff before so I could put my carried on water bottles in the refrigerator ( I always bring a 6 pack of water) Some CC members have suggested to take a picture of the fridge on the way in and on the way out. This after being billed for items not taken or used.

So true it is a mini fridge issue. If they had just put some sort of sign on it I wouldn't have had an issue in the first place. I'm fine with a package not including water I just had no idea. Obviously in a hotel room I wouldn't dive into the mini fridge but it gets confusing on a boat when you have purchased a drink package.

I'm gonna have the room steward empty it on my next cruise. I'm bringing a refillable bottle and a case of water with me. I drink water like it's going out of style between the extra sun and extra cocktails dehydrating me on a vaca.

I'm also gonna bring some gatoraid packets because from what I read about NCL the special coffees aren't included in the UDP and I can't seem to figure out if they even have a gatoraid or something along the lines that would have electrolytes in them.

We always bring at least a case on board,since we drive to the pier. Just slap a luggage tag on it and give it to the porter with the rest of the bags. There are 7 of us and it's easier than dealing with a bunch of refillables.

Coffee drinks aren't included in the drink package. You mentioned an RCI ship - you're posting on the NCL board ;) I'm mentioning that so newbies don't get confused

Yes good point. It doesn't on NCL it was just part of my learning story. :D

I do have to agree with the previous poster- you should had read that particular drink package T & C. Teas and regular coffee are complimentary and included in the base cruise fare; bottled water and specialty coffees like expresso from the cafe are not and are not part of any package. And for the overall drink package that includes alcohols drinks up to $11 and under are free - majority of the information is actually on NCL official website (except for bottled water from NCL, which can only be brought on the ship only).

Simple rookie mistake that was rectify by Guest Services on day 3 - now you know better and that what truly matters. ;) Also, the mini-fridge has a carbon list receipt on the desk or close to it that lists the prices of each, for future reference. Plus you can always ask your room steward to clear out the fridge too, if you want.

Thank you that was a much nicer way to say it and I agree I def should have done even more homework then I thought I had before I embarked. really that's all I was trying to put out there. I made a mistake and I just wanted to give a heads up to the next person that might make the same mistake. I didn't even expect guest services to take it off when I asked what the charge was that's how great they were.

I do have to agree with the previous poster- you should had read that particular drink package T & C. Teas and regular coffee are complimentary and included in the base cruise fare; bottled water and specialty coffees like expresso from the cafe are not and are not part of any package. And for the overall drink package that includes alcohols drinks up to $11 and under are free - majority of the information is actually on NCL official website (except for bottled water from NCL, which can only be brought on the ship only).

Simple rookie mistake that was rectify by Guest Services on day 3 - now you know better and that what truly matters. ;) Also, the mini-fridge has a carbon list receipt on the desk or close to it that lists the prices of each, for future reference. Plus you can always ask your room steward to clear out the fridge too, if you want.

Thank you that is a much nicer way of putting it and was just my point. I thought I did over the top homework but I guess I didn't before I went on my vaca. I was just letting people know in case they were in the same boat. No pun intended.

Spirit25 you mentioned your complimentary mug.... What kind of mug do they give you with the UDP? Thanks.

It was a nice I would say 16 ounce tumbler with a lid. But that was on RCI, princess did the same. I'm not sure about NCL this will be my first cruise on their line. I'm going to bring a mug for water on with me.

Edited by Spirit25

I'm confused. Was this on NCL or RCL? I imagine the same rules apply for both.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to confuse anyone. My experience with the water was on RCI but as I did my research I realized it is this way for NCL also. which I'm heading on next and that is why I was kinda giving a heads up to anyone that didn't realize that you will have to purchase water bottles even from your mini bar.