Britannia with a 14 month old

cobrakatie

We are off to Norway on Brittania in a couple of weeks (currently trying to ignore all the bad reviews!) leaving from Southampton.

Just wondered if anyone has used the child facilities on board (particularly the night nursery) and how they found it?

Also a quick luggage question - are there limits on packing liquids in hand luggage like on planes? If we want to carry packaged baby milk and a bottle of wine for mum and dad are we able to carry this in our hand luggage or will it be taken off us at Southampton?

This will be our first cruise with the baby having previously travelled twice on Celebrity as a couple so a whole new experience!

We are off to Norway on Brittania in a couple of weeks (currently trying to ignore all the bad reviews!) leaving from Southampton.

Just wondered if anyone has used the child facilities on board (particularly the night nursery) and how they found it?

Also a quick luggage question - are there limits on packing liquids in hand luggage like on planes? If we want to carry packaged baby milk and a bottle of wine for mum and dad are we able to carry this in our hand luggage or will it be taken off us at Southampton?

This will be our first cruise with the baby having previously travelled twice on Celebrity as a couple so a whole new experience!

Hello,

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the children's facilities.

However, there are no restrictions re hand luggage in terms of liquids, so you'll be fine packing baby milk & a bottle (or two ;)) for your Mum & Dad.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Joan

Hi,

Not Britannia but might help

We sailed on the Ventura with a 18 month old, and used the night nursery on most nights, very good and friendly staff easy to use, you get a beeper so that should there be a problem or your child is unsettled you can return back to the cabin. We took our little one down @ 7.30 and picked them up when the night had finished one night 2.00 pm !! but mostly 11/12. Means you can enjoy a meal and a drink without any worry.

We took a fly cruise and you just have to do the normal taste test of the milk.

But as you are boarding in Southampton you will have no issue in taking the powered on board.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi poshscot

We loved our cruise on the Britannia with our 14 month old. I know there are a lot of negative reviews flying around about that ship but we were really impressed. I wrote a review which you can hopefully see here :

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=504340

You will have a fantastic time I am sure

Raych_C - I imagine the facilities are similar on board the Ventura. We were supplied with any food -(HIPP jars), baby bath available on request and kids club excellent. Have fun!

Enjoy!

Katie

Thanks for taking the time to do this review. It's good to know that it is possible to have a good cruise in spite of the many moaners on here. We are on the Britannia in a few weeks having been on Eclipse for the last 3 years. I wonder which you prefer.

Our daughter had been thinking of cruising with us next year with our grand-daughter who would be almost 2 years old, but she decided that it was too soon. Perhaps if she reads you review I can persuade her to change her mind.

Hi David,

We initially looked at booking Celebrity but it was going to cost around £700 for the baby which was crazy. It cost us £88 on Britannia for the baby for the week and in fact we got a bit of a discount off that price. So financially, there's a big difference.

We loved the Eclipse. I'd say the Eclipse is probably glitzier than Britannia and it has that impressive art collection on board (Britannia has art but not as exciting in my opinion). On the other hand the shop/spa/drinks are much more reasonably priced on Britannia and cabin wise, I was just as happy with our cabin on Britannia as I was on Eclipse. We had one of our best holidays a few weeks ago and it was a great choice of ship with a baby. If you can persuade your daughter, I am sure you would have a fantastic time. In my opinion 2 isn't too young.

Enjoy your trip!