Copy of "Daily Programme" At a glance 6/9/05

rula40

COPY OF OUR DAILY PROGRAMME 6TH SEPT 05

Most of the activities last between 15-30 minutes

Just out of interest would anyone like to give the following marks out of 10?

06.00 “Wake up with Ray” TV show with cruise director Ray

08.30 Catholic Holy mass

09.00 Golf simulator open until 5pm

Absolute beginners bridge

09.50 Crossword puzzles and brain teasers available

09.45 Shuffleboard tournament

10.00 Oxford Lecture with Dr Christopher WHELAN

RADA workshop 3

Novelty note card making ($15 fee for supplies)

10.15 Bingo cards go on sale

Informal card play

10.30 Napkin folding

Intermediate bridge class

11.00 Bingo commences

Deck quoits tournament

11.15 Cooking demonstration

Oxford Lecture with PD JAMES

11.30 Quizzical corner

12.00 Public address report from the bridge

Masonic brethren meeting

12.15 Pub lunch melodies

Lunchtime melodies

12.30 Music with dance band Xtasea

Book signing with PD JAMES

13.00 Final Art auction preview

Planetarium films

13.30 Blackjack tournament qualifying rounds

14.00 Final Art auction

Novelty note card making

Duplicate bridge

14.15 Juggling workshop

Informal card play

14.30 Interview with celebrity guest Carly SIMON

Table tennis tournament

14.45 Darts tournament

Interest corner “Friends of Dorothy and Rainbow Pride”

15.00 House and Garden lecture

Interest corner “Friends of Bill W”

15.30 RADA “You say Tomato”

Pub Team trivia

16.00 Blackjack tournament final

FREE Chipping competition

16.30 Hat making and decoration supplies..

17.00 Disembarkation information with Cruise Director Ray (TV Channel)

EVENING ENTERTAIMENT

RoyalCourtTheatre

8.45 and 10.45pm

The Royal Cunard singers and dancers “Rock at the opera”

Commodore Club

7.30pm-8.30pm

Pianist Paul MADDEN

10.pm-midnight

Pianist Campbell SIMPSON

Illuminations

8pm and 10.30pm

The Phantom of the Opera (Movie)

Grand Lobby

9.45-10.30pm

Orana String Quartet

Queens Room

10pm-12.15am

Royal Night Ascot Ball

Chart Room

5.15pm-6.15pm

Harpist Megan DAVIS

6.30pm-7.15pm

Pianist Brian IBBETSON

7.45pm-8.45pm

9.45pm-Late

The Mark HODGSON Trio

Golden Lion Pub

5pm-6pm

9.45pm-10.15pm

11pm-11.45pm

Pianist Paul MADDEN

7.45pm-8.45pm

11.45pm-Late

Pianist Brian IBBETSON

10.15pm-11pm

The Liars Club

Pavilion Bar Deck 12

9pm-11pm

Cigars Under the Stars

G32

10-30pm-10.45pm

11.45pm-12.15am

1.30am-Late

DJ Alex

10.45pm-11.45pm

12.15am-1.30am

Dance Band XTASEA

Whilst I feel that we definitely got value for money, and the service onboard was excellent, I feel that had I been aware that the entertainment and activities available were aimed at the more mature passenger, I might have considered booking with a different company.

I would add that I did enjoy the experience and had a very relaxing time, but I would have liked more variety, as I have said previously

I definitely would not recommend the QM2 to the average young person, and even possibly those of my own age group (50 something) and perhaps as has been pointed out to me in one of the replies to my thread I should have booked a cruise and not a crossing. But my previous crossings have all lived up to my expectations

rula40 , may I say in some sense it is good the QM2 did not live up to your expectations?

What I want to say: It is good that there is a line offering a different product than other companies. You say all your previous crossings, preasumingly with other companies, did live up to your expectations. So there are choices who satifies you. Other people like the programme Cunard offers. I only disagree with your implication this would depend on age. There are people of all ages who like and who dislike Cunard.

I am sorry you got less than expected but I like to thank you for your postings. This might help others to make an informed desicion which line/ship will be for their taste.

Carlmm,

Thank you for your reply, which I consider to be correct and fair, I only wish I had been able to appreciate fully the cultural offerings the QM2 provides for its passengers.

I agree fully that there are choices but I feel that despite my efforts I was unable to prepare myself for such a crossing,

The reason I believe that the QM2 caters for the more mature passenger is because I gauged the average age of my fellow passengers as around 70 years, and it was those passengers who seemed to thoroughly enjoy the entertainment and music provided.

I know of one 16 year old English lad on our trip who was traveling with his parents and his younger brother this lad actually ran away from them in New York and somehow managed to get to JFK Airport and caught a flight back to the UK, his parents found this out after they had reported him missing to the NYPD who put out an all ports warning The boy was met by his Grandfather at Manchester Airport, this was due to the fact he was not enjoying the crossing.

I have mentioned before that I enjoyed walking around the ship in the evening, and often I would see youngsters leaning on the rail looking out to sea, I am sure they would have rather been enjoying a livelier atmosphere as opposed to listening to big band music or watching the ballroom dancing.

Thanks again for understanding that not everyone is the same and not dismissing my own personal views.

Phil

I know of one 16 year old English lad on our trip who was traveling with his parents and his younger brother this lad actually ran away from them in New York and somehow managed to get to JFK Airport and caught a flight back to the UK, his parents found this out after they had reported him missing to the NYPD who put out an all ports warning The boy was met by his Grandfather at Manchester Airport, this was due to the fact he was not enjoying the crossing.

I have mentioned before that I enjoyed walking around the ship in the evening, and often I would see youngsters leaning on the rail looking out to sea, I am sure they would have rather been enjoying a livelier atmosphere as opposed to listening to big band music or watching the ballroom dancing.

Phil

Phil

Once again I thank you for your comments. X box definately coming, but my son would not be in a position to run away to JFK without my knowledge as I would have his passport (even at 19 let alone 16)!! Also where did he find the funds to fly back without his parents knowledge???

If we are the only 4 people in the disco no doubt listening to the nolans then so be it!! It is our childrens holiday as much as ours. We enjoy the precious time we have with them and we will do all we can to make sure they enjoy this experience.

Maybe that is why there was so much activity on your departure from New York!!!!????

Elaine

Elaine,

I wish you had been on our crossing; we appear to have the same sense of humour,

Can I suggest a portable DVD with a wealth of films! Or even an Ipod, only joking...

I am sure you will all benefit from the experience and I hope you have a terrific time.

Hi,

You will find the Jazz band playing in the Chart Room every evening, I am not a lover of Jazz but they were one band that I did enjoy, and I heard a number of other passengers making very complementary comments.

There was also the benefit of some of the Cunard singers joining in with the band on occasions. So I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Morning Phil

The beauty of the X Box is it plays DVD's too!! So don't need to rush out and buy a DVD player for him!! My daughter has an I Pod and my son has lots of cash to spend in NY!! Looks like mother and daughter will be heading for handbags and in my daughter's case make up and father and son can go electrical shopping!! Looks like we'll have a suitcase dedicated to extra's at this rate!!

Can you tell me, when hubby and I were last on QE2 there was a very good band playing in the disco area singing modern songs. Do they have anything similar on QM2??

Elaine

Good Morning Elaine,

Sorry for the delay in replying,

The group in G32 consisted of 3 Afro Caribbean men who played a variety of modern music and were very good.

It would have been a bonus if every now and again the Cruise Director allowed the group to perform on a bigger stage in possibly the Queens Ballroom where I am sure they would have been well received and a good night would have been had by all.

G32 is accessed via 2 doors either side of the stage in the Queens Ballroom... The décor is very modern and there are lots of tables and chairs on both the ground and first floor.

I am sure that once all four of you descend on G32 and “Go for it” you’ll have a great time.

It would have been a bit embarrassing for my wife and I to “Strut our stuff” to what would have appeared to be our very own private and personal serenade.

Have fun.

Phil

My tastes differ a bit.

I'm 51 and lead an EXTREMELY hectic life when ashore.

When I get aboard ship, I like to simply enjoy the fact that I'm aboard ship.

One of the nice things about modern ship travel is that you can do just about anything, or you can do NOTHING, and may switch from either to the other, at a whim. I guess I can say that during the time slots when there is nothing going on that appeals to me, I'm relieved, as that's when the true essence of being aboard ship comes alive for me (I don't book a passage to bet a 24/7 dose of Las Vegas, Vegas would be cheaper!).

Just my two cents, and I realize those are MY tastes, and they don't have to be everybody elses.

The group in G32 consisted of 3 Afro Caribbean men who played a variety of modern music and were very good. Phil

Phil

It was an afro caribbean group that were on the QE2 also. I wonder if it's the same one (been promoted to the Qm2)!!

Well we may well be the only ones strutting our stuff on the dance floor in G32. I'd better get some quick lessons in. Don't want to make a fool of myself or embarras the children!!

Have to admit that both my husband and I come from very normal backgrounds (father in law was a stevador on the docks in Liverpool, my father was a toolmaker at Vauxhalls)!! My husband has done well for himself over the years (I have not worked since having my daughter 22 years ago). I am not at all concerned about our evening dress as we know all about dress codes, but I do hope other passengers don't take the same kind of attitude to us as the situation you mentioned in the golden lion pub. You aren't automatically classed as lottery winners because of the way you dress!! In fact I suspect that there may have been some lottery winners on our cruise last xmas, but they were dressed in some lovely clothes!! They took their chanel bags out to the sunbeds with them and even sunbathed with their diamond encrusted rolex's on their wrist!! The young girls had Christian Dior bikini's!! There was about 40 of them altogether!! Very loud and very obnoxious, but never really interfered with me (did witness some fracas though)!! Of course cruise ships being cruise ships there were all sorts of rumours going around about exactly who/what they were!!

Elaine

Archived