Verandah Doors & Puerto Rico - Reflection

I really wanted to put something "catchy" in the subject line but its Monday....couldn't think of anything - I'll take some suggestions for the future ;)

So this is mine and my DH's first cruise with Celebrity onboard the Reflection in December. We have one of the large (deep) 1A verandah cabins. What is Celebrity's policy (if any) regarding the verandah doors? leaving them open? does it shut off the a/c inside the cabin? For those of you panicking, please, dont panic, we will NOT be opening them and keeping them open as I have read that it affects the temps of cabins around us - besides, my DH loves the all "natural" a/c. Just curious as to the workings of Celebrity. We actually were tempted to try and spend an evening outside on our verandah - maybe set up a cot or something....that's just a maybe - a wait and see type spur of the moment decision! Thoughts? We wont get locked out of our verandah will we? does the slider lock automatically? I hear there are a couple other ships that have that feature. I did read one post where a poster asked about dragging her bed out there - no, we wont be doing that lol

Also, with regard to Puerto Rico we get there at 3:30 and from what I have read, not much to do there. None of the excursions listed on Celebrity's website appeal to us. We dont want to go to a beach. we would more be interested in a tour, driving/walking. Maybe grabbing an authentic meal from one of the local restaurants (not touristy restaurant) . Any ideas or suggestions? Perhaps a few of you have been there and can offer some advice?

Thank you in advance for your input. And please, if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself. I do love a healthy serving of sarcasm though (its what keeps me giggling in the middle of the night when I read some of the posts here), so bring it! :D

I really wanted to put something "catchy" in the subject line but its Monday....couldn't think of anything - I'll take some suggestions for the future ;)

So this is mine and my DH's first cruise with Celebrity onboard the Reflection in December. We have one of the large (deep) 1A verandah cabins. What is Celebrity's policy (if any) regarding the verandah doors? leaving them open? does it shut off the a/c inside the cabin? For those of you panicking, please, dont panic, we will NOT be opening them and keeping them open as I have read that it affects the temps of cabins around us - besides, my DH loves the all "natural" a/c. Just curious as to the workings of Celebrity. We actually were tempted to try and spend an evening outside on our verandah - maybe set up a cot or something....that's just a maybe - a wait and see type spur of the moment decision! Thoughts? We wont get locked out of our verandah will we? does the slider lock automatically? I hear there are a couple other ships that have that feature. I did read one post where a poster asked about dragging her bed out there - no, we wont be doing that lol

Also, with regard to Puerto Rico we get there at 3:30 and from what I have read, not much to do there. None of the excursions listed on Celebrity's website appeal to us. We dont want to go to a beach. we would more be interested in a tour, driving/walking. Maybe grabbing an authentic meal from one of the local restaurants (not touristy restaurant) . Any ideas or suggestions? Perhaps a few of you have been there and can offer some advice?

Thank you in advance for your input. And please, if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself. I do love a healthy serving of sarcasm though (its what keeps me giggling in the middle of the night when I read some of the posts here), so bring it! :D

Hi Jersey Girl:

I have not sailed on Celebrity yet--our first one will be in October. But we have sailed out of San Juan. If you are arriving at 3:30 on the day before you sail, there is a wonderful night walking tour of Old San Juan. Legends of Puerto Rico. Debbie was our guide. For a restaurant, El Jibarito on Calle Sol in Old San Juan is excellent. Of course you can always go to Barrachina, the birthplace of the Pina Colada. That is on Calle Fortaleza, also in Old San Juan. You can find all three of these on Trip Advisor.

I hope these suggestions help. Have a great trip.

Chelle

Hi Jersey Girl:

I have not sailed on Celebrity yet--our first one will be in October. But we have sailed out of San Juan. If you are arriving at 3:30 on the day before you sail, there is a wonderful night walking tour of Old San Juan. Legends of Puerto Rico. Debbie was our guide. For a restaurant, El Jibarito on Calle Sol in Old San Juan is excellent. Of course you can always go to Barrachina, the birthplace of the Pina Colada. That is on Calle Fortaleza, also in Old San Juan. You can find all three of these on Trip Advisor.

Actually, the OP will be arriving on Reflection having departed Miami, at 3:30.

OP, you will dock at Old San Juan. There are several walking tours, that are pretty good. You can visit the fort, some nice historic churchs. The eating and drinking suggestions above are good.

Welcome to Celebrity!

We had a deck 9 hump Nov 2013 on Reflection, you are going to like the extra size. The ship will dock across the street from lots of shopping and dinning, so strolling is easy to do.

The first 2 days at sea will be a bit choppy, well it is winter ya know, but once you leave SJ it should calm down, it did for our sailing.

Trying to sleep of a night out on the balcony, hummmm. We have napped during the day, but never tried it for a needed evening's rest. Lets us know how it went if you do.

EW

1159324449_cruise069.jpg.125a0ec16eeacbe3eadead97889933a2.jpg

912782935_cruise070.jpg.da3ee497c62cf4c217687b5ee863bb73.jpg

Official - keep them closed except when going in and out. The handle will turn to lock it, but you won't lock yourself out. It works on both sides of the door. However, when out on the balcony we always lock it because it doesn't close solidly tight and can create a kind of whistle. At least that's been our experience.

Not sure if they'd want a cot brought out there, as I've never heard of anyone doing that. You'll have to check. We have been on the balcony at all hours of the day and well into the night, but when it's time to sleep we come in. I like good a/c too.

I *have* heard of people who keep the door open while they slept or during the day. That messes with the central air and can affect others, as you suggested. We don't spend as much time on our balcony as some do but we do enjoy it when we do. My DH almost never actually sits down. He stands at the rail and looks out as we come into and out of port.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, cot or cot-free.

...Also, with regard to Puerto Rico we get there at 3:30 and from what I have read, not much to do there. None of the excursions listed on Celebrity's website appeal to us. We dont want to go to a beach. we would more be interested in a tour, driving/walking. Maybe grabbing an authentic meal from one of the local restaurants (not touristy restaurant) . Any ideas or suggestions? Perhaps a few of you have been there and can offer some advice? ...

I've only been in Puerto Rico for pre/post cruise stays and touring. But that's not too different other than the timing.

Old San Juan is a great place to just walk around. My favorite walk is to head to the left as you exist the in-town cruise ship dock and walk along the boulevard to the channel where there is a beautiful fountain. Continue walking the outside of the city wall to the old city gate and walk in there and up the street until it ends by the old Cathedral. If it isn't too late you can walk up to the old Fort San Juan. Even if it is too late to go inside is a pretty view if it is light out. You can then head back in the direction from where you came to the touristy section of the old town where you'll find lots of restaurants (at all price levels) as well as some shops. I'd enjoy the scenery, architecture and restaurants and have dinner in town and skip the touristy shops myself.

I have slept on a balcony several times. I just bring out a pillow and maybe a towel or something in case I get cold and sleep in the lounger. Sometimes it can be nice, but it can also be very noisy from people out on neighboring balconies (if you're near someone who likes to stay up until 3 AM). Also, the ship itself reacts differently to the wind, so there might be rattles here and there tha would keep you awake. It's not like sleeping on a hotel balcony at the beach hearing the waves. There are a lot more noises.