seasickness?

LeopardGirl2

Trying to convince my friend who is certain she would not tolerate a 3 night cruise because of her adult-onset seasickness to book one with me. For those suffering from this malady would you let me know if this would be a problem indeed even with proper medication? Thanks!

Trying to convince my friend who is certain she would not tolerate a 3 night cruise because of her adult-onset seasickness to book one with me. For those suffering from this malady would you let me know if this would be a problem indeed even with proper medication? Thanks!

Take bonine a couple days before or the night before and continue it until 2 days after the cruise.. that is the info I have gathered from here.. supposed to work wonderful.. Happy Cruising..:)

eat somthing every two hours..........we just got back from the Celebration Aug 27th sailing and although we had extremely calm waters, I wasn't sure how my 12 year old daughters would handle being on a ship. They felt a little queazy usually in the morning when we got up but as soon as we had breakfast they were fine.....

With all the food stations on board, and 24 hour room service, we did eat every 2 hours.....it was wonderful ! ! ! ! We weren't off the ship 20 minutes and they were asking when are we going again ????

dondonma

Why take drugs you may not need? We travel and cruise a lot and we swear by Relief Bands (http://www.reliefband.com/main.html) . My wife and daughter used to get motion sick all the time, especially on simulator type rides (and cruises) until we found these.

Note that these AREN'T those little elastic bands (called sea bands) with balls that you get at Walmart (we didn't have much success with those). Relief Bands are electronic "wristwatch-looking" things that are the ONLY FDA approved device for motion sickess and nausea.

The advantages over drugs are:

1. No side effects

2. Only use it if you need it

3. You can use it AFTER you get symptoms

4. It works incredibly fast (within a few minutes)

5. You can dial up just as much relief as you need.

These things are fantastic and well worth the price.

:) I just cruised on The Miracle on 8/21/05 and have always got seasick in the ocean in NJ. I took a chance bringing Bonine with me and not taking it. I had no problem what so ever. Just don't stare down at ocean, these ships are so big you can hardly tell your on the ocean. We hit winds on the final day of our cruise heading in topping at 74 mph and then i took bonine and still felt fine. Everyone is different but I use to get very sick in the ocean and on spinning amusement rides and had no problem on this cruise.

I only wish that I had known sooner about these boards. I avoided going on cruises many of times with family because I get motion sickness and seemed to get worse as I aged, even going on a ski boat. Bonnie works wonders! But it took my Dr. to convince me to try over the counter meds before I would even think of going...but read these boards there are tons of tips to stop motion sickness! I only wish I would have found them sooner!

I am the worst with motion sickness and never outgrew it. Here is what I do and will not vary from it at all. Go to the doctoe and get the prescription for the patch. Also tell them you want Finegrin (sp?)or promo... something. I just know it works and she will have such a better time just knowing this. Do Not take the nausea pills because she will sleep through the cruise . That part is just for added peace of mind.

I never considered a cruise for years because of a fear of seasickness, I'd rather have dental work done than be nauseous! I've cruised 2x (love it!) and on both trips took non-drowsy Bonine a couple of hours before sailing and for the first day or two of the cruise. Never had a problem and wasn't drowsy or out of it. Ginger is also supposed to work well and my daughters swear by the accupressure Seabands. I would have missed a wonderful way to travel if I hadn't given it a shot. Good luck.

-Caryn

My husband and I swear by ginger. On our cruise a few years ago we didn't take anything because we grew up on boats here in Florida and never dealt with seasickness. Unfortunately, we hit rough seas our first night out and we both were really feeling it. We bought some Bonine and took it as needed, and it definitely helped. Like most "non-drowsey" medications that I take, it made me feel kind of "wired" the whole time I was taking it (though wired was better than nauseous!).

So, for our cruise this past March, I decided to try ginger pills after reading about it on these boards. DH & I both started taking two pills in the AM and two in the PM a few days before the cruise started and continued to take them in that dosage throughout the entire cruise. We packed Bonine just in case, but didn't need to touch it. Even when people were puking over the side of the tender taking us into Grand Cayman, DH & I were fine!

Before my cruise last November, I consulted these boards and asked for advice concerning seasickness. I took non-drowsy Bonine with me and used it only twice with great results. No problems whatsoever. I'm headed back to Cozumel in 5 weeks and will have my supply of Bonine with me.

Where do I get Ginger Pills? I tried at a Wal-Mart Market, but they had no idea what I was talking about. Non drowsy Dramine and Bionine both make me feel very yucky.

I think I got mine at a drugstore, back where the vitamins and "natural supplements" are sold. If you can't find them there, you should be able to get them at a GNC or a natural foods store. Good luck! It was a lifesaver for me!

Archived