Florida Everglades

mared1

I have asked the same question now twice on previous posts. "What are good Everglades trips?" I found all of the ones you recommended, Trent, when I googled. However, I would like to hear from someone who has actually taken one of these or another tour. We are interested in one that is not of the "hokey" type during which someone pulls an alligator out of the water. I guess we are more interested in the ecological aspect of the Everglades, rather than the entertainment factor. Thanks!

I'll take the hokeyness! :)

I had posted a question over the weekend, and for some reason my post is now blank. Anyway, I wsa wondering if anyone had suggestions of how two of us could get to one of the tour companies from the port or a hotel? Are there any companies that provide shuttles (for a cost, of course), or perhaps how much would a taxi cost?

Thanks for your help.

Amy

If you're taking a cruise you can purchase a shore excursion for the day your cruise ends. Those are designed for those with late flights, you and your luggage go on a bus out and back and are dropped off at the airport early to mid-afternoon.

Otherwise you would be best off renting a car as a taxi out and back would be extremely expensive.

Trent- I was too lazy last night to rewrite my whole original post (that is now blank!), but we are not flying back until the following day. :) So, I could book with the cruiseline, but then we would get dropped off at the airport, and not our hotel! We might just have to rent a car afterall. Are there ways to rent cars from the port (or get a shuttle from the port to the rental agency)?

Port Everglades and the airport are adjacent, some companies will pick you up, but if not it's about a $10 cab ride from the Princess pier to the new airport Car Rental Center (large parking garage in the middle of the airport terminals).

If you didn't want to rent a car you could always take the ship's excursion and then get a taxi to your hotel from the airport. If you do that though make sure you get the excursion that drops you at the airport closest to your hotel, some drop you at FLL, others drop you at MIA. In most cases the hotel rooms won't be ready until early/mid afternoon anyway so that could work out well for you that way.

Archived