First Time Cruiser Review - Norwegian Epic

slsmith374

Thanks for your positive review! I will be sailing in 29 days. Also thank you for posting the dailies. I read in another post that they had an adult scavenger hunt called Quest. I love it on RC! I didn't see it in the dailies. Do you remember seeing or hearing about it? Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review.

I see howl at the moon is from 10-2 am??

Is this a show is it 4 hours?

Also can you tell me more about the train etiquette in Cinque Terre:o

I am sailing Epic in July and can't wait!

Happy to hear you had a great cruise.

Kerri

Dumb question here but do they provide hangers in the cabins on the Epic? Also Hairdryers? Think I heard they provide robes as well is that correct?

And one concerning touring the Vatican. I know you must cover your knees and cover your shoulders. Could you wear a sleeveless collared shirt or t and wrap a scarf around your shoulders and still get in? Going to be mid 90's while there and would prefer to dress for the temp if possible. Got the legs covered will wear convertible pants. Thanks!

Dumb question here but do they provide hangers in the cabins on the Epic?

Not a dumb question at all, if you're unsure.:) Yes, they DO provide hangers and if you don't have enough, you can always ask your room steward for some more. Also Hairdryers?

Again, yes and I find them perfectly adequate for my (admittedly very SHORT!) hair.;) Think I heard they provide robes as well is that correct? I believe in balcony cabins and above, but I'm sure someone else will chip in there. We've always had them in balcony cabins.

And one concerning touring the Vatican. I know you must cover your knees and cover your shoulders. Could you wear a sleeveless collared shirt or t and wrap a scarf around your shoulders and still get in? Going to be mid 90's while there and would prefer to dress for the temp if possible. Got the legs covered will wear convertible pants. Thanks!

That is EXACTLY what I did on our last visit and will do the same again this visit. I agree about the temperature and wanting to dress appropriately.

Enjoy your Epic trip! :)

That is EXACTLY what I did on our last visit and will do the same again this visit. I agree about the temperature and wanting to dress appropriately.

Thanks so much never cruised before and first time to Europe so thought I would ask those that have been recently. Would rather not haul those items if possible.

I just realized after looking again at several posts that they won't allow backpacks in the Vatican or colosseum. Thinking I could take one of those thin flat drawstring packs stick it in my pocket and when done use it for the pant legs and scarf. Does that sound possible? Really don't want to carry a purse or backpack but will need something to carry that stuff as won't be going back to hotel in between touring other spots.

Thanks again!

Edited by 1island2go

Thanks so much never cruised before and first time to Europe so thought I would ask those that have been recently. Would rather not haul those items if possible.

I just realized after looking again at several posts that they won't allow backpacks in the Vatican or colosseum. Thinking I could take one of those thin flat drawstring packs stick it in my pocket and when done use it for the pant legs and scarf.

Thanks again!

I just realized after looking again at several posts that they won't allow backpacks in the Vatican or colosseum. Thinking I could take one of those thin flat drawstring packs stick it in my pocket and when done use it for the pant legs and scarf.

Thanks again!

You're very welcome!

Yes, you're right about no backpacks in the Vatican. Your suggestion of a flat drawstring pack is very sensible.......good thinking!

I'm veering more towards wearing a maxi dress this time round so won't have the thing of the pant legs! Although DH is considering wearing them this time around. Last time I feel we got lucky.......he had shorts on, but they JUST covered his knees and no-one said a word! BUT I've heard of others who were dressed similarly and refused admittance, so we're taking no chances!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise.

My wife and I also embarked from Rome on May 20th with not so good results.

We have previously cruised with NCL 5 times, the latest, last year on The Breakaway. This may be our last with NCL.

After boarding we checked our NCL (in-room) TV account to review the bookings/activities we had made. We had the UDP and made all bookings weeks earlier before leaving for Rome.

None of our dining reservations were listed. Guest Services couldn't help, as they indicated they had no access to the restaurant system. Sending me to the Restaurant Desk I discovered that all my reservations would not be posted until the New Barcelona cruisers arrived (They were all listed with a 12am time). We were able to get a reservation for that evening but I did hear arguments later, while dining, from people being denied access because their reservation were not there and they failed to confirm earlier in the day.

We also tried to make show reservations but it seems that most of the shows had already been sold out by the Barcelona cruisers who boarded on Sunday (we boarded on a Wednesday). We tried stand-by, but since stand-by's only get in 10 mins. before show time, seat selection was limited and in the rear. In addition when I tried to make a reservation for the following Sunday, Monday or Tuesday I was told I'd have to wait until the new Barcelona cruisers get on board Sunday.

Embarkation in Rome was/is not very exciting (your treated as if you were out on a shore excursion and just returning to the ship). You loose something when the Sail Away Party takes place 4 days after you get on board.

als1428 :( I am so sorry you had a bad experience! We did not have the UDP so can't compare. The one thing that we couldn't book because of the Barcelona passengers was the Christian Miro magician performance so that was a bummer. I hope your next cruise experience is a better one! I'm looking forward to having something to compare the Epic to.

Thanks for the review.

Also can you tell me more about the train etiquette in Cinque Terre

Howl at the Moon I think had three shows. They definitely had at least two. There was one that was 8-12 or 8:30 to 12:30 and the other one from 10-2. We didn't stay the whole time because we had to wake up early the next day but the 8-12 show was still rocking when we left around 11.

As far as the train, sometimes with the Cinque Terre excursion, you take the ferry. However, if water is choppy like it was for us, you take the train a total of three times between the cities as the buses do not have access to the towns (no cars there). This is common sense, but when you are trying to board ~100 people into a train, people tend to freak out and not let passengers off the train first. It's important to remember that the train will not leave without you. Your guide will not let that happen. Pay attention to your tour guide over the walkie talkie. If you have to take a different train car than the guide, listen to what stop you're getting off at.

This might sound bad, but sometimes the best thing to do when you are trying to board a crowded train (IMHO), is to gently keep moving forward (pushing might be too harsh of a word) so the people in front of you make space. Another good point, if you are one of the lucky people to board before everyone else, move into the train as much as possible so others can get in. Do not just stand in the doorway.

Like I said, we had to do this 3x with probably over 100 people each time. And no one was left behind. Just know that it might be frustrating. Deep breaths. End rant :D Hope that helps a little?

Thanks for the review.

Also can you tell me more about the train etiquette in Cinque Terre:o

I am sailing Epic in July and can't wait!

Happy to hear you had a great cruise.

Kerri

FYI: Howl at the Moon is a Song Request performance. The audience writes down, on small pieces of paper (supplied at tables) any song they would like to hear and brings it up to the piano players. Between the 2 piano players they are played (and an occasional drummer). It's not a 4 hour show, but they play requested songs for 4 hours (rotating 3 individuals between the 2 pianos). The songs played are as varied as the audience. i.e. The Theme of the Facts of Life to Piano Man by Billy Joel.

We are doing the same cruise, leaving from Rome, in a month. Thanks for the review!

Do you remember seeing what day the bag of laundry special was? Our cruise is the middle of our vacation so it would be great if we could get some clothes cleaned earlier in our cruise.

Also, how busy was it around the pools on the sea day? Did you notice long lines for the waterslides (my 2 kids are curious about that)?

Do you remember seeing what day the bag of laundry special was? Our cruise is the middle of our vacation so it would be great if we could get some clothes cleaned earlier in our cruise.

Also, how busy was it around the pools on the sea day? Did you notice long lines for the waterslides (my 2 kids are curious about that)?

I don't remember which day the laundry special was on, but hopefully someone else might know.

I'm also not sure about the slides, but on the sea day we didn't go out until 10 or 10:30 and we got spots right away. We went to the top deck so it was mostly adults. I didn't get a good look at the chairs closer to the pools areas but in general I was surprised that it wasn't as crowded as I had expected.

Just returned from Rome disembarkation May 27th.

We came on board Wednesday 5/20, Thursday was Laundry special day ($24.95- full bag). Paper said Pick up Thursday and back by Saturday. Our laundry was returned by Friday.