Taking kids out of school to cruise..

Jeads323

I took my daughter on a cruise in March and she missed 5 days of school. This was the first time, and I have since planned another cruise with both of my children for November of next year. She was in eight grade, I notified the school, and she had most of the work she would miss prior to leaving. There were no issues, and we had a great time. Getting time off during the summer is nearly impossible for me, so I had to find other options.

Generally in our area the thought is that as long as your child is already doing well in school, it's not a problem up to about 6th grade. After that the classes move faster and they might miss something. Before that? There is a lot of repetition built in. If something is missed, it will be done again. The only thing to watch out for is any required testing.

We both work full time and both of our kids are special needs. They spend all year in a school and then all summer basically at another school. They're in school ALL the time and we are at work all the time. We figure they probably need a vacation as much as we do and doing it in the winter is awesome because there are very few children on the boat. Both kids are on the autism spectrum so they prefer an empty kids club. I'm not sure what the teacher will say this year, if I knew who it was going to be I would tell them now. But I will notify the guidance councilor and their aide now since I know them.

My son also has autism and participates in an extended year program. So he basically has no time off in the summer either. His teacher and therapists think it will be fine. My daughter was in 8th grade this year and was fine missing 5 days in March. Both of them do very well in school, and I don't have any issues with them missing time for vacation as long as they continue.

I just went through the same frustration and tried very hard to find the right vacation during the times when the kids are out of school, but they're outrageously priced. By going the week before, it will cost me 1/2 of that. I actually picked a week that's a week or so before school ends in June, so I don't think they're missing too much. I will still contact the teachers to work out whatever they may need to make up, though.

But, that being said, I posted on Facebook asking friends what they thought before I actually booked it and they all agreed. As one said, once they're in high school, family vacations are nearly impossible, and they certainly won't be as interested in a "family" vacation.

Some of my best memories are of family vacations and they time I spent with them. Your kids will treasure those memories. Five days out of school at their age isn't going to destroy their education! Go enjoy your cruise!!

As one said, once they're in high school, family vacations are nearly impossible, and they certainly won't be as interested in a "family" vacation.

Mia, my parents took my siblings and me out of school every year for vacation (to include cruising), and when we were in high school, it actually made us like family vacation even more! The more we did together, the more we *wanted* to do together :)

Now if anyone can give me some tips on convincing my parents to take their 30-something year old kids all out of work for a vacation... I'm all ears!

Not everyone has the same views and that is ok. We believe learning is not something confined to 4 walls in a classroom between the hours of 9-3:30pm. Children learn through all senses and at any time of the day or night. They learn through their environment, friends, family and by themselves. They are very smart. They learn best through experience and when they are happy and enjoying what they do. School is only one learning environment, and it's not their main one.

We live in Australia so our rules are a bit different but we have taken our kids out of school to travel many times. They have cruised the Baltics to Russia, Hawaii, Mediterranean, UK and circumnavigated Australia. All of our cruises have been 10+ nights with the longest being 42 nights around Oz.

Good luck with what ever you choose.