Taking kids out of school to cruise..

Jeads323

Parenting decision that only YOU(not the school) can make.

We do it all the time for the exact reasons you mentioned-our jobs require us to work holidays when most schools are out.

Looking back on my childhood, my fondest memories are of doing things with my family, not sitting in a desk reciting spelling words...

When you are on your death bed how might you feel about taking/ not taking this trip? Just something to ponder.

Teacher perspective here-- it's your call, you are the parent. BUT, it should be once a year thing, not all the time. The problem I see as a high school teacher are kids who miss a lot of school and then also take a vacation. This is a big problem where I teach-- it's hard to keep kids up to speed when they are missing 20-30 days a year!

Give the teacher plenty of notice to prepare work, particularly as they get older. As a high school English teacher, I can say it is difficult to prepare a week of work in a packet and anticipate everything that will come up ahead of time. Because of where I live, I get a lot of requests and at certain times of year it is a quite taxing for me to always be planning ahead and turning our class work into packets. But, as long as the kids follow through on their end, it is worth it for me! And, in addition to family time, it is great for kids to see the world and how other people live.

So I have been thinking about booking a cruise during the school year. My kids are YOUNG, they will be in kindergarten and 2nd grade. I'm a little nervous, but not so much seeing how young they are.. What are your experiences with taking your kids out of school? I would like to hear about older children as well as I want to continue to cruise throughout their lives. Thanks!

I never thought about doing this until running into a teacher, who said many do this all the time.

We checked with the school, and they just gave our kids the work that would be covered.

We have taken ours out every November since my youngest was in kindergarten. She is 9 now. We choose the week of Veterans Day so that they only miss 4 days. She and my 12 year old make all A's. They do work on the car ride there and back. Happy sailing!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I'm going to be unpopular here... I'm taking my 7th grade daughter out of school next week to cruise. But I did consider some things before I booked. First, she's in 7th grade - no school transitions, so no vital information she's going to miss. Second, it's the week before the end of school (she will have 4 days left after she goes back, due to making up snow days).

She has finished all testing, grades are in, and her teachers are doing enrichment activities. Her science teacher is thrilled that she can do the ultimate enrichment activity and explore a coral reef for real. Her social studies teacher likewise - he has given her an assignment that makes her consider the different lifestyles of the places we are visiting.

Third and most important, this cruise is with my parents, who she has not seen in two years, and who are unlikely due to age to be able to visit the US ever again. This is about spending time with family who she does not see every day, every week or even every year.

Yes, school is her job, but she does well at it. She's an honor roll student who plays in youth orchestra and quite frankly has more stress than I would like for her to have. She's 13, and needs time to be 13. During her summers, she spends time volunteering with kids programs and helping teach violin and coach tennis. She works plenty in playtime.

Would I do it every year? No. Am I doing it this once, yup!

The kids are okay .... its some of the adults that I think should not have been taken out of work for a cruise. :D

I love this!

My kid's father is deceased and I have NEVER been asked for the death certificate on any of our many cruises. I would take it with me if I was you just in case.

The OP needs to make an educated decision.

Here are my two cents. We have kids (Ages 9 & 8) that we have taken out of school for vacations, but they both do well in school.

How many days will they miss? Can you pair the trip up with a week that they are already out of school for a day?

What grades are they in? There is a difference in missing a week of 1st grade and a week of 5th grade?

How do they do in school? Does it come easy for them or do they struggle?

What is the school policy? Can they make up the work? Can the student write a report about their trip?

How many other days a year does the student miss?

Again, the OP needs to make the final decision, but these are some of the things we think about when we plan.

I love this!

My kid's father is deceased and I have NEVER been asked for the death certificate on any of our many cruises. I would take it with me if I was you just in case.

Oops... Wrong thread [emoji15]

OP I'm sure you never realized you would open up such a huge can of worms!

As several others have said, you are the parent and after weighing the pros and cons, just do what you think is best.

We have taken our children out of school a few times for cruises. We have 4 and sometimes it just hasn't been possible to cruise when they were already on a break from school either because of work/scheduling conflicts or the difference in price.

I will admit that it is much easier when they are younger than it is when they get into high school. Having 2 who took all AP and honors classes in high school, I know how far behind they can get when they miss school even for a day or two. With that being said, they have both now graduated (one just last Friday) with high honors and are or will be attending college.

I have 2 suggestions - 1) - Do talk to their teachers and the administrators at the school. You may be surprised that they are willing to work with you and give your children something they can do to make up for the time they will be missing. I would suggest you take lots of photos/videos and if they are old enough have them write a bit about each place you visit and present it to the class. That way it is a learning experience for not just your children but the rest of their class as well and it will be something different and far more interesting than standard "textbook" learning as well.

2) - Try to plan it when they won't miss 5 days of school. We have done cruises in October when they were already out on Monday and Tuesday for Columbus Day, we've done February when they were out for President's Day also. Just look at their school calendar and see if a time when they are already scheduled for a day or two off would work for your schedule as well.

My husband and I have a very strong work ethic and have always stressed the importance of good attendance in school for our children as well but I never thought twice about letting them miss a few days of school to go on a family vacation. My husband had a heart attack at the young age of 49 in 2013 and is now unable to work. It could have been so much worse - we never know what God has in store for us so I'm a firm believer in making the most of today. Family time is so important and in this day and age with everyone being so busy, sometimes it just isn't possible to schedule things around your kids school vacations.

Whatever you decide, as young as your children are it isn't going to make them or break them. Don't let what others say here upset you - they are your children and only you know what will be best for them and your family.

Whenever you go, I hope you have a wonderful time and come back with memories that will last a lifetime.

Can someone pass the popcorn?

FWIW, I am taking my three kids on a cruise in October (K, 2nd, 5th grades). They will only miss 3 days due to a scheduled school holiday. Since the oldest will start middle school the year after, this will be the only time we do it, the work load just gets to be too much the older they are. Their school already assigns homework the week before, so they can complete it before the cruise.

Even if we could afford to spend 2x's the fare to make our vacation happen during a regular school break, the hubster's job is such that taking vacation during those natural breaks are verboten.

To the OP, don't sweat the folks who try to tell you that taking your kids out of elementary school a few days to be together as a family is equivalent to not making them a priority or teaching them to cheat at life. The air is thin up there in those ivory towers. ;)

Bad idea. The children's' JOB is attending school. You are setting up a bad example that it's O. K. to just take off when you feel like it. The tired example "Well, you get a vacation at work, don't you?" doesn't flush. Children get multiple days off during the school year, let alone three months in the summer. Only you can teach your children what is right. Unfortunately that's what's wrong with our country.

My children are grown up but I remain to say, a parents job is to show their child where their priorities are and that is at school. If you can't get away during winter and spring breaks they are off for two months during the summer, surely everybody can find time in that duration to take a family vacation.

My children are grown up, I taught them their only main priority and responsibility is really school to do their best, and vacations after the school year were their reward for doing well. I put my children first even though it might of been less costly and more convenient in taking vacations during the school year, I put my children first which is showing them where their priorities are, when they learn this as a child, they will grow up learning that work also is their priority and they be more successful because of what they learned.

And my goal is to teach my child that family and quality of life are more important than your job. Believe me, no one questions my professional work ethic, but I also have my values straight, and salary/promotions are not number one. Also, although education and learning are crucial, actual day to day school is kind of hit or miss there, and that's speaking as an A student with college scholarships. Broadening horizons can do so much more for a person in the long-term. That obviously doesn't mean five days around a swimming pool.

Edited by cadien

I'm not a parent so take my opinion for what it is -- MY opinion:D

I don't think children should be taken out of school for vacations barring extreme circumstances. My stepmom took my sisters out of school for an extended vacation over one Thanksgiving when my father was battling cancer -- he died the next April. I think those memories were much more important than anything they would learn in school.

As a general rule I just think it's important for children to be in school when they're supposed to be in school.

My parents did this with me and my siblings 4 times before highschool. It was never a yearly thing but over the course of a decade. We all have graduate degrees and good jobs and are well adjusted adults who have a passion for travel and still take siblings trips every few years together. I think taking family vacations is crucial for kids and if that's when you can go then you do what works for you. The memories we all have from those trips are priceless. We went to disney world once, to hawaii, Europe and one Asia trip. As a kid it was a thrill and an adventure and a privilege and we knew how lucky we were and are to be able to travel. Half of those trips we only took a couple of days off from school and piggybacked on a school holiday the other 2 trips we took a full week off. It's an amazing thing to be able to do for your children and if you decide to go unless there are extenuating circumstances I cannot imagine their schooling will suffer in the long term.

2) - Try to plan it when they won't miss 5 days of school. We have done cruises in October when they were already out on Monday and Tuesday for Columbus Day, we've done February when they were out for President's Day also. Just look at their school calendar and see if a time when they are already scheduled for a day or two off would work for your schedule as well.

The above is a solid compromise. MLK is close to the end of January as the OP has said they are looking at. Good 4 day week.

As an educator of 12 years, I would say the value of hands on interaction of other cultures and people cannot not be duplicated within the classroom setting. Additionally, the memories and the expereinces of family time is invaluable. In February of 2011 I lost my mom at the age of 56. We have no idea when we will no longer be able to make memories and experiences with our loved ones. If that is the only time that works for your family then have at it.

Happy sailing

I took my kids out the week of MLK day this year because someone offered us a Hawaii house. One of my 4th graders is in a very challenging school (she has 6 classes like middle school) and a couple of her grades that quarter actually did go down from missing the four days, but they were right back up the next quarter. I doubt it will keep her out of Harvard or change her work ethic.

We lost their dad way too young, so I'm sure I'm guilty of overcompensating. Last year we pulled up in front of school and then I surprised them with a "ditch day" for us to play together. It was one of the most joyful days we've had - there's something about stolen time. These are things I'm sure I won't be able to do once they're older and really can't afford to miss the days. Unless I've completely ruined them and their futures already :rolleyes:

Best,

Mia

We have done it almost every year (kids are now 10 and 7). We try to plan where they miss as little as possible (veterans day week for example). We ask for homework ahead of time and the teachers all state they are NOT allowed to give us homework but they get excited and ask where we are going and if its Disney or someplace exotic. The week before we leave the teachers have slipped in some assignments in the kids bags to do for the week. Most of the teachers are parents too so they must understand family time. We also make the kids keep a daily journal describing their day and what they saw/learned they bring back to the teachers when they get home.

We do this once a year and not multiple times. The kids dont fall behind and my daughter (10) is in the top of her class in academics - I guess the cruise was a bad idea.....

When I was growing up my parents used to take us out of out school for 2-3 weeks during the school year and we would have to do our reading/homework on vacation (what a bore) but it was done before we were allowed to play. Now I have a very good job and so does my brother. What I remember is going on those trips with my parents and my grandparents (no longer here) and having fun exploring new things.

As long as its not abused and the kids are dong well enough in school then go for it.

I took my kids out of school for vacation every year that they were in elementary school! Once my oldest started 6th grade we started taking vacations when they were out of school, At that point her workload had increased and I didn't want her to have to deal with so much catch up. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if they were only in K and 2nd grade!!!

We took our 2nd grader out this year for our cruise and I was nervous. He is never one to miss a lot of school and I spoke with his teacher and principal before planning anything. The were both thrilled for him to go.

His teacher gave us his work a week before we left and I took it with us so he did a little each day as his class did it. Also he kept a journal and took pictures to show his class. Once home he did a project that compared life here in Ohio to life on the islands we visited. For example we went to Ocho Rios (loved it) and he took pictures of the schools and children in school uniforms and even the soccer field. He compared them to a picture of his school, his non-uniform schoolwear and our hometown soccer field. His teacher loved it and let him kinda be the social studies teacher for a few days after we returned.

As long as his grades are up and he is not falling behind I would do it again in a heartbeat! Something just cannot be taught in a class room. And family time precious, I personally believe that is what is wrong with the world today is no one makes time for family.

Edited by bradynsmom

I didn't hesitate in elementary, but always a week when they had a couple of days off anyway. Did it a couple of times in middle school, and only two missed days in high school - any more than that would've been hard on my kids. You can't make up an AP chem lab with a vacation journal, and there is no way our HS teachers were putting homework packets together. Unexcused absence? The student needs to find out what he or she missed on their own.

Idk, my personal opinion is that kids have so many vacations during the year, I think it's better to wait for a week in which they are off. Obviously for your younger child it's not really an issue, but your second grader will fall behind if he/she misses a whole week or more.

in 2nd grade? not likely. I missed a week of 8th due to a death, nbd, I picked up right where I left.

School, before hs, isn't that important. Hell, missing a week of hs for some isn't a big deal. Really. Nothing valuable will be taught in that week. They won't remember that week of school. THEY WILL remember that cruise week/family vacation time.

Growing up, we didn't get vacations. Any 'vacations' were stuck seeing extended family, grandparents and such, NOT doing anything fun or going anywhere fun. Summer is TOO hot to cruise, imo, and prices are higher and ships more crazy during tradional school breaks.

I wouldn't miss weeks at a time, or more than the allowed missed days total (I think it was 16 when I was in school? That's the numbers of days I made sure to miss. :D)

IMHO school is not a child's JOB. They do however have a responsibility to learn the material covered in that class. But that doesn't necessarily mean they need to be in the classroom to learn it IF they are willing and able to do the work missed outside of the classroom with the parents guidance.

My DS is now a Senior in college. My DD just graduated from high school last week and had her college orientation today. I pulled both of them out for week long vacations when they were in elementary school and it had no impact on where they are today educationally wise...nor has it had any impact on their work ethics or high sense of responsibility. Just ask their coaches, bosses, and teachers who have praised them both for those 2 positive characteristics repeatedly through their high school years and now as they are going through college and working jobs to help pay for their expenses. Jobs that they both went out to get on their own because they wanted too and we did not have to put any pressure at all on them to get jobs. They also chose to go to a very good local university so they could live at home and save money on room & board. Again there was no pressure from us for them to do this, but I am extremely proud of the way they made these financially responsible decisions.

My philosophy has always been this in regards to pulling them out:

1) Does the school allow it? Our school system excused absences for family vacations so we did not have any issue with this. If they do not excuse it, you may have to look at what negative impact this could cause your child and decide if it is worth it.

2) Is the child able to make up the work? Both my children were A average students. DD had to work harder than DS in maintaining that average but she was very determined to do her best to keep her GPA up. Their teachers were willing to give them the work they were missing either before we left or after they returned. As a parent I was responsible for making sure that work was made up and learned by them at the time specified by the teacher and it always was. I would probably think twice about the decision to pull them out if the child struggled with their school work and I wasn't able to help them learn what was missed. You need to look at what is best for your child.

3) Is the child willing to make up the work? The last time we pulled out our kids for a week at a time DS was in 7th grade. He found that the work load needed for him to catch up in middle school to be more than he wanted to go through again and he had issues with his middle school basketball coach for missing a couple practices. He requested that we not take a whole week off again during school.

This made it much harder for DH and I to schedule vacations between our work schedules and their school and sports schedules but we did managed to get some in since family vacations were a priority for us. This sometimes meant them missing a day or two from school and/or shorter vacations but we made it work so our kids were willing to be away from school and make up the work missed. Because your children are in elementary school I would be less worried about the impact to them than I would be in the middle and high school years. As they get older you really need to talk to them to see if scheduling week long vacations are too much for them to handle with the heavier school and sports work loads and see what you can come up with as a compromise if vacations are a priority for you as they were for us.

Edited by Warm Breezes

We too have taken our kids out of school yearly - usually in late January for 1-2 weeks for a vacation. We too usually get the bulk of the work done before we go. One is just entering high school next year and one is entering grade 4. They are bright kids and the teachers have always been cooperative. I feel the same as many. You only go around this world once. We've made some great family memories and have had some great trips (all cruises and/or Disney). I have no worries that it's impacting my kids school careers or giving them the wrong idea of priorities. We'll continue to travel together until they are off doing their own thing - which will be way too soon!

We too have taken our kids out of school yearly - usually in late January for 1-2 weeks for a vacation. We too usually get the bulk of the work done before we go. One is just entering high school next year and one is entering grade 4. They are bright kids and the teachers have always been cooperative. I feel the same as many. You only go around this world once. We've made some great family memories and have had some great trips (all cruises and/or Disney). I have no worries that it's impacting my kids school careers or giving them the wrong idea of priorities. We'll continue to travel together until they are off doing their own thing - which will be way too soon!

I agree.

I know that the OP's question was about taking children out of a US school, for a cruise.

I live in New Zealand, so I'm probably not qualified to comment on that. However, I would like to report that taking children out of school is not always detrimental.

We took our 3 children out of school for 6 weeks, when they were in Year 11, Year 12, and Year 13 respectively and their academic work did not suffer at all. All three passed their school qualifications with flying colours and two out of three gained scholarships to university.

There were some provisos:

• We did this because their father's job was going to take him out of the country and we wanted to keep the family together.
  • All three children had to be performing well at school.
  • We had the full consent of the school Principal.
  • The children had to discuss plans with all of their teachers and were given work and assignments to complete during their travels.
  • Each child travelled with a backpack full of school work, which they had to do on long flights and in the evenings. We allotted homework time on some days when their father was working too.

We went to the USA. Amongst other educational visit we paid were:

• A day tour to the Boeing Aircraft factory at Seattle.
  • The Capitol, the Air and Space museum, and the Vietnam wall, in Washington, DC.
  • The Kennedy Space Center, in Florida.
  • The jazz scene in New Orleans (son number 2 played trumpet in his school jazz band at that time).
  • The Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam.
  • A day tour to Tijuana, Mexico.

As well as keeping up with their school work, our kids learned some engineering, geography, American history, and they experienced cultures different from their own.

They all gained confidence in stating their needs and in the various requirements for international travelling.

I firmly believe that they learned more in those 6 weeks than they would have learned in the school curriculum.

We do it and have had no problems so far. Our daughter started cruising with us when she was 3 years old and just turned 7. We cruise around 3 times a year now and we just inform the teachers ahead of time the dates (last year we went on 2 cruises one after another so she was out for 2 weeks total) and they give us her homework that she will be missing and she takes it with her to do at night before bed on the ship. :) I see it as an educational experience traveling to different countries. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D