Bar Hop / Wine Tasting / Martini Tasting - Good or bad?

Sizzlechest

We just got off our cruise a few days ago and did both the wine tasting and martini tasting. I thought they were both excellent, especially for the value, and especially if you're not already doing the UBP. $15 per person for each event. At the wine event, you get six pours paired with an assortment of cheese. At the martini event, you get 6 mini martinis, all rather strong.

Our wine tasting was in Cagney's on the Epic, but they had another wine tasting a different day in Taste. The wine steward said that the Cagney's location is better since it's quieter.

Loved, loved, loved the martini tasting. On our 11 day dawn cruise they did two. The first you could say were " savory" and the second "sweet". I missed the first but the second was wonderful. I was surprised there weren't more people there, only about 10. It was a nice afternoon at a small bad with piano playing in the background. Did I say I LOVED it?

On the Gem last year they advised people to sign up prior to the first tasting. Glad we did as they turned away a LOT of people. The 2nd sea day tasting they did the same as the 1st to try to get the people who were turned away added. Then the 3rd was different. I've never seen that many people at martini tasting. Also, for martini tasting, we usually share between 2 or 3 people so we are each just tasting and not getting hammered before 4pm.

The bar crawl was great but not offered on all of my sailings. I did it on Jewel in 2012 on the night before a trip to Universal Studios - I do not advise this. Or if you are going to do it just remember you don't have to finish every drink!!

Particularly if you don't have the UBP, martini tasting is the best value on the ship. They'll have to roll you back to your room for a nap after. It's also very fun, the bartenders really get everyone involved. You can win free shots. I never miss it.

The Martini tastings are a great value. One Martini flight is equivalent to 3 Martinis in alcohol volume. So, you're getting $30 worth of alcohol for $15. :) The wine tastings are fun and educational, but not worth the money. You're getting perhaps one full glass of wine in total and most of the wines are low quality. :(

Edited by sarcher

if you have the ubp does it cost anything

They are not included in the UBP. But the $15 might be worth it just for the entertainment value. They ARE fun. The martinis are nasty tasting for the most part, and I love martinis, but it was fun. Loved the Mojito one, and the Tequila tasting, WOW. You better be able to hold your liquor. They also have margarita tastings, also very good.