Spain VAT

Groucho

In principle:

10% Spanish IVA should be charged whilst in Spanish waters on drink, room services and speciality restaurants, regardless of whether the cruise goes to a non-eu port or not. In practice, cruiselines seek to find ways to avoid the need to pay this for example by closing shops and bars or taking "pre-orders" for drink packages as an example, but then actually selling this once in international waters. How RCL will handle this on your specific cruise is anyone's guess I'm afraid, but don't be surprised if you are charged 10% IVA/VAT on any drinks you buy whilst in port in Barcelona.

Other VAT should not be applicable to purchases on your cruise as you are leaving EU waters.

This is correct I am on Brilliance now. We have not been charged Vat on our dining package as this was put through after we left Spanish waters. However there was sign at the bar on day 1 saying that Vat would be charged on any drinks purchased whilst we were still in Barcelona at either 20 or 21% - can't remember which

Edited by Bobal

• 3 weeks later...

We will be taking a Celebrity cruise from Barcelona to Barcelona with all Port of Call in EU. Based on this discussion and some others, my understanding is that we will be charged 20% (or 22?) for all our purchases on-board, including drinks and specialty restaurants but not sure about the Shore Excursions.

Taking into account that a Classic Beverage Package is included as a perk in the price of our cruise, it is also my understanding that we will not be taxed for that. However, if we want to upgrade from the Classic to the Premium Beverage Package, will it make a difference if we purchase it before the cruise on the Celebrity Web site as compared to purchasing it on-board, during embarkation or while at sea?

I know that some people might have different opinions about that question, but I would like to have answers from people who experienced recently one of the two possibilities on a cruise with all Port of Calls in EU.

Thank you.

We will be taking a Celebrity cruise from Barcelona to Barcelona with all Port of Call in EU. Based on this discussion and some others, my understanding is that we will be charged 20% (or 22?) for all our purchases on-board, including drinks and specialty restaurants but not sure about the Shore Excursions.

Taking into account that a Classic Beverage Package is included as a perk in the price of our cruise, it is also my understanding that we will not be taxed for that. However, if we want to upgrade from the Classic to the Premium Beverage Package, will it make a difference if we purchase it before the cruise on the Celebrity Web site as compared to purchasing it on-board, during embarkation or while at sea?

I know that some people might have different opinions about that question, but I would like to have answers from people who experienced recently one of the two possibilities on a cruise with all Port of Calls in EU.

Thank you.

Assuming the cruise doesn't stop in a special taxation area such as Gibraltar then yes, VAT will be applicable throughout the cruise. The Spanish rate is 10% for food, restaurants, soft drinks, 21% for alcohol and general purchases (clothing, souvenirs, etc).

This VAT will be applicable to the upgrading of your beverage package if done on board. I assume Celebrity will have a method of just charging for the differential so the VAT will be limited to that, rather than the full package price.

If you upgrade prior to the cruise I see you are in Canada and therefore you will not be making a purchase in the EU, so the question of EU VAT does not arise.